Razr M stuck on 3g!

Search This thread

jrk190

Sep 4, 2012
McLeansville
So a few days ago, my Razr M decided to stop using 4g, and is now stuck using 4g. Even after returning to stock 4.4.2, this is still an issue. Any insight as to what's wrong with my phone?

ezknives

Jul 21, 2013
Had this happen once I tried a bunch of stuff... I can't remember but I think I actually just let it die to 0% and let it charge back to 100% while off... But during that time I also pulled my SD card out put the data on my PC formatted it put data back on... I don't think the new Sim helped at all but it wouldn't hurt to try

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app

xKroniK13x

May 15, 2014
Atlanta, GA
www.coreymccown.com
Did you try the battery drain. Also turn the phone off, take the 4g simcard out and ensure no dust is in the slot (maybe blow it with a bit of compressed air).

Sent from my RAZR M xt907 (KitStalk) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jrk190

Sep 4, 2012
McLeansville
I'll give battery drain a go. I haven't done that, and I might need a new Sim.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using XDA Free mobile app

Izaak99

Mar 9, 2009
Same issue -- this was how I fixed mine

So a few days ago, my Razr M decided to stop using 4g, and is now stuck using 4g. Even after returning to stock 4.4.2, this is still an issue. Any insight as to what's wrong with my phone?

I've had this happen after flashing some ROMs (MIUI and older CM versions). It's a ***** to fix, and honestly its mostly trial and error. I did manage to get it to work, but I can't remember the exact series of things I did. You can tell its working correctly when it shows 4G/LTE (not just LTE) and you can still make phone calls, and you can send/receive texts and MMS.

Before trying any of this though, it might just be a KitKat issue -- you will lose a huge amount of reception running the stock 4.4.2 OS. When I tried it I was never able to get 4G due to the poor signals I was getting with KitKat. I would strongly recommend reflashing to the the last Jelly Bean stock firmware (skip gpt.bin and tz.bin) and see if you still have the no 4G issue. I'm running stock JB (with the garbage apps frozen) after trying every ROM out there, because the signals I get are way stronger, and the battery life (might be due to better signals?) is amazing -- I can go 2-3 days without a charge.

In any case, if you still want to try it, I think these settings are the ones you want (what worked for me was actually TOGGLING the settings to something else, then back to the correct ones). Also, this was under JB, but I think its identical with KitKat:

Dial *#*#4636#*#*
Go to Phone Info. Click the menu option and click on the Radio Bands. Change it to US Band. This will break everything.
Go back to the menu and Radio Bands. Change it back to Cellular.

Then scroll down and click on the Preferred Network Type. Change it to GSM/CDMA (Auto). At this point you should see the Location: showing actual info in the BID, SID, NID fields, and GSM will be "In Service", GSRM will be "Connected" and Network Type will probably be eHRPD (which is still 3G).

Click on the preferred network type again and change it to "LTE/CDMA/Evdo". It should change the GSRM to LTE. If not, power off, pull the SIM, power on. Wait for it to say SIM not found. Power back off, put in the SIM and power back on.

Go to your Settings, and under Wireless & networks click on More... and click Mobile Networks. Again, the fix was toggling, so if it says Global, change it to LTE/CDMA or if it says LTE/CDMA, change it to Global. It doesn't matter which one its set to (as long as its one of those 2 and you toggled it).

At this point, I had to let the phone sit for about 10-15 minutes. After I came back, it started switching automatically to 4G/LTE and you should be good to go.

If you can't MMS or text, go back to the Mobile Networks settings, click on Access Point Names, click the menu and reset to default. Power off and power back on.

Hope this helps... GL!

Reactions: xKroniK13x

jrk190

Sep 4, 2012
McLeansville
I wish I could say that helped... But it didn't... I'm not sure what this thing is doing, in LTE, it doesn't even detect a network.

FirePsych

Apr 28, 2012
Roswell, GA
I had the same problem. Lost 4g.
Tried all of the suggestions in this thread and the CM11 and GPE threads in Android Dev section.
Got a new sim card.
All better.

S_transform

Oct 12, 2012
I've had this happen after flashing some ROMs (MIUI and older CM versions). It's a ***** to fix, and honestly its mostly trial and error. I did manage to get it to work, but I can't remember the exact series of things I did. You can tell its working correctly when it shows 4G/LTE (not just LTE) and you can still make phone calls, and you can send/receive texts and MMS.

Before trying any of this though, it might just be a KitKat issue -- you will lose a huge amount of reception running the stock 4.4.2 OS. When I tried it I was never able to get 4G due to the poor signals I was getting with KitKat. I would strongly recommend reflashing to the the last Jelly Bean stock firmware (skip gpt.bin and tz.bin) and see if you still have the no 4G issue. I'm running stock JB (with the garbage apps frozen) after trying every ROM out there, because the signals I get are way stronger, and the battery life (might be due to better signals?) is amazing -- I can go 2-3 days without a charge.

In any case, if you still want to try it, I think these settings are the ones you want (what worked for me was actually TOGGLING the settings to something else, then back to the correct ones). Also, this was under JB, but I think its identical with KitKat:

Dial *#*#4636#*#*
Go to Phone Info. Click the menu option and click on the Radio Bands. Change it to US Band. This will break everything.

Then scroll down and click on the Preferred Network Type. Change it to GSM/CDMA (Auto). At this point you should see the Location: showing actual info in the BID, SID, NID fields, and GSM will be "In Service", GSRM will be "Connected" and Network Type will probably be eHRPD (which is still 3G).

Click on the preferred network type again and change it to "LTE/CDMA/Evdo". It should change the GSRM to LTE. If not, power off, pull the SIM, power on. Wait for it to say SIM not found. Power back off, put in the SIM and power back on.

Go to your Settings, and under Wireless & networks click on More... and click Mobile Networks. Again, the fix was toggling, so if it says Global, change it to LTE/CDMA or if it says LTE/CDMA, change it to Global. It doesn't matter which one its set to (as long as its one of those 2 and you toggled it).

At this point, I had to let the phone sit for about 10-15 minutes. After I came back, it started switching automatically to 4G/LTE and you should be good to go.

If you can't MMS or text, go back to the Mobile Networks settings, click on Access Point Names, click the menu and reset to default. Power off and power back on.

Hope this helps... GL!

So this worked for me....kinda. It will keep my LTE when I switch back and forth, but only until I call someone. At which point it will stop auto-switching back and forth.

jrk190

Sep 4, 2012
McLeansville
So, I got a new SIM, and things worked for a while, but when I tried to make a call, it said "Phone not authenticated". So I go back in, the guy says to dial *228, and 1 to activate. I do it, and the calling works, but I'm back to 3g. So I'm back in this boat again...while I get 4g in my Gnex, with the same Sim...

xKroniK13x

May 15, 2014
Atlanta, GA
www.coreymccown.com
So, I got a new SIM, and things worked for a while, but when I tried to make a call, it said "Phone not authenticated". So I go back in, the guy says to dial *228, and 1 to activate. I do it, and the calling works, but I'm back to 3g. So I'm back in this boat again...while I get 4g in my Gnex, with the same Sim...

Didn't ATTACK tell you in another thread that *228 fries the 4g sim cards?

jrk190

Sep 4, 2012
McLeansville
True... But see, the same SIM can get 4G in my Galaxy Nexus, which makes 0 sense. I might go get another SIM again, but I'll just deal with it for a while. It works if I do LTE only mode on my Razr. It's strange that the same SIM works perfect in my other phone.

retrobot

Mar 25, 2012
I would factory reset or wait a few days. In a few days a new software update will be rolling out.

Last edited:

jrk190

Sep 4, 2012
McLeansville
Probably won't use it. It'll lock my boot loader or unroot me, which I'd hate.

xKroniK13x

May 15, 2014
Atlanta, GA
www.coreymccown.com

It will make you lose root but you can't lock your boot loader after its unlocked... Even taking an OTA. So just flash twrp and flash SuperSU zip and then you're good to go after a OTA

jrk190

Sep 4, 2012
McLeansville
Sorry. Haven't had to worry about OTA's in ages... None of my phones ever got updates, 'cept this one.

ezknives

Jul 21, 2013

You're boot loader will not be relocked. . if the ota wasn't relocking the bl and doing just the opposite then you have nothing to worry about regarding that... As for unroot you're unlocked so all you'd have to do is flash SuperSU or use the root method again... If you're stock then rather the FDR just run it in safe mode long press power button till screen pop long press power off till screen pop select OK...if safe mode helps then you'll need to FDR...

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same issue -- this was how I fixed mine

Dial *#*#4636#*#*

Hope this helps... GL!