[Q] Massive Idle battery drain? Any ideas?

Search This thread

dsebbs

Jan 9, 2012
Hi all,

So I'm getting a lot of battery drain on my S5. I unplugged the phone this morning at 5 AM (hungover LOL) and went back to bed to wake up at 12 PM with about 40% drain. This is my fifth Android and I don't recall this ever being so bad. Especially considering this phone (and battery) are only three weeks old. Could it be manufacturer defect on the battery???

Here is the Android Battery display as well as "Battery Widget Reborn" stats. I'm running BatteryGuru too.

I have no idea why Weatherbug or Youtube or Sirius XM are SO HIGH.... considering I never opened either app. Actually just installed Sirius XM seeing as I haven't used it.

Any thoughts of what else I should look into?

I've turned as much bloatware "off" as I could too.

iQwejF6.png

Yxyq0rI.png

Thanks,
dsebs

cerobles1

Sep 10, 2011
Riverview
Dude, use Ultra Power Saving Mode when you're not using your phone. It will make a huge difference. With my phone just seating there over night, as in about 6 to 8 hours, it will loose no more than one percent. With some txts coming through, it will loose no more than 5 percent.

Sent from my SM-P900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

spectrumfox

Oct 5, 2009
Hi all,

So I'm getting a lot of battery drain on my S5. I unplugged the phone this morning at 5 AM (hungover LOL) and went back to bed to wake up at 12 PM with about 40% drain. This is my fifth Android and I don't recall this ever being so bad. Especially considering this phone (and battery) are only three weeks old. Could it be manufacturer defect on the battery???

Here is the Android Battery display as well as "Battery Widget Reborn" stats. I'm running BatteryGuru too.

I have no idea why Weatherbug or Youtube or Sirius XM are SO HIGH.... considering I never opened either app. Actually just installed Sirius XM seeing as I haven't used it.

Any thoughts of what else I should look into?

I've turned as much bloatware "off" as I could too.

There's a good possibility that one of the apps you have installed is keeping your device awake and not letting the processor go to sleep. Hence, your battery life decreases at a faster rate. Go to Settings > General > Battery, then press the battery graph to get details. You will want to pay attention to the "Awake" part. If there is a solid blue line, it means something on your phone is not letting it go into idle sleep, which is the primary reason for battery drain.

Weatherbug could be set to detect your location or update the temperature way too often. I would look through the options and try to scale it back a bit. Once an hour for location and temperature update is usually fine.

Sirius XM could also be keeping your device awake. That's a large % usage for something you claim to not have opened or used yet.

I would uninstall both of these applications first and then evaluate your battery life and "Awake" reading. If the problem is resolved, then add each app back one at a time, making sure to start the app and go through the options to optimize it, and then re-evaluate your battery life and "Awake" reading again.

dsebbs

Jan 9, 2012
Thanks...

I've actually Turned Off YouTube and so far it seems much better. Getting more than two mins additional per percentage change. I will keep evaluating.

Anyone else had any issues with You Tube?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

spectrumfox

Oct 5, 2009
Thanks...

I've actually Turned Off YouTube and so far it seems much better. Getting more than two mins additional per percentage change. I will keep evaluating.

Anyone else had any issues with You Tube?

I'm not sure I'd agree with YouTube being the culprit, as it doesn't do any background tasks at all. It's probably safe to turn this app back on. More often than not, "Awake" and battery issues are caused by third-party apps.

dsebbs

Jan 9, 2012
I'm not sure I'd agree with YouTube being the culprit, as it doesn't do any background tasks at all. It's probably safe to turn this app back on. More often than not, "Awake" and battery issues are caused by third-party apps.

Thanks for the tips.

I'm going to follow your first idea tomorrow AM on a 100% charge.

I'm going to turn back on YouTube and uninstall both Weatherbug & XM and let's get a true baseline.

harlenm

Feb 8, 2007
I lose about 1% per hour on idle, if I turn on powersave its about half of that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

VashTS

Dec 4, 2011
I had this issue 1 time with youtube being the culprit. it was stuck open. once i killed all running apps, the battery drain went back to normal.

its rare but its youtube.

diablo009

Apr 20, 2009
Atlanta GA
Dude, use Ultra Power Saving Mode when you're not using your phone. It will make a huge difference. With my phone just seating there over night, as in about 6 to 8 hours, it will loose no more than one percent. With some txts coming through, it will loose no more than 5 percent.

Sent from my SM-P900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Not really needed! Mine, without any power savings on, with 6 emails accounts and FB and whatsapp on, 4G LTE/WiFi on 100% of time, barely loses 2-3% overnight.

Rumbleweed

Dec 22, 2010
Time for a clean wipe it's sounding like?

Battery life went to hell suddenly. A little investigation shows WiFi never turns off and seems to scan for networks every 3-5 seconds. I have all the options under advanced in wifi unchecked. This has only happened in last few days.

diablo009

Apr 20, 2009
Atlanta GA
There should be one more option in settings that allows to check for WiFi networks even when WiFi is turned off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Rumbleweed

Dec 22, 2010
There should be one more option in settings that allows to check for WiFi networks even when WiFi is turned off.

That is shut off as well. Even turned on then back off just to make sure. problem is all the crap that google updates/changes even though you have updates etc turned off.

diablo009

Apr 20, 2009
Atlanta GA
I am clueless about your issue now. I'm attaching the normal drain I see over night. See the status bar for incoming messages/mails, n the number of times phone was awake while I was sleeping, n see the battery line. I lost like 2-3% overnight from like around 1.30 am until 8 am.

Attachments

• 1402057038086.jpg
    1402057038086.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

Rumbleweed

Dec 22, 2010
I am clueless about your issue now. I'm attaching the normal drain I see over night. See the status bar for incoming messages/mails, n the number of times phone was awake while I was sleeping, n see the battery line. I lost like 2-3% overnight from like around 1.30 am until 8 am.

Removed a few unwanted Google and Samsung apps and shutdown and restart, Now back to 3-4 days on stand by. Guess I will just have to do this periodically as updates turn stuff back on.

Top Liked Posts