Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

deltatux

Apr 17, 2011
Toronto
Hey guys,

Recently I bought this and while it looked great at first, it dawned on me that it doesn't tightly fit my device and the bottom part of my Nexus 4 has slipped out of the case a couple times..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-BLACK-...959490?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item56513a4042

So now I'm hunting for a new case. I've had really good experiences with the Seidio case with my Nexus S, but it's proven to be rather expensive compared to what others have offered. Wouldn't mind going back if it's the only case of this category that is the best fit and protection for the device.

I was looking at the Mybat but was concerned about the actual bulk of the device, and it being easy to remove as I often take off the shell from time to time. Also, no one seemed to comment if the case interferes with headphones with L-shaped plugs either.

The other two contenders are Ballistic and Ionic, heard great things from both but unsure which is better. I did hear that Ionic cases attract lint very easily but I do like its price very much. Not a fan of the bubble-back design though. Heard great things about Ballistic, but like the Seidio case, the cost is making me apprehensive about purchasing one.

Mybat: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Nexus-4-...4?pt=PDA_Accessories&var=&hash=item2a286793ca

Ionic: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00A06Z41E/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3KQDBCHA3FRT9

Ballistic: http://www.goballisticcase.com/products/lg-nexus-4-ballistic-shell-gel-sg-series-case

Seidio: http://www.seidioonline.com/lg-nexus-4-active-metal-kickstand-case-black-p/csk3lgn4k-bk.htm

So what do you guys think would be the best?

Cheers,
deltatux

Jester23

Hey guys,

Recently I bought this and while it looked great at first, it dawned on me that it doesn't tightly fit my device and the bottom part of my Nexus 4 has slipped out of the case a couple times..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-BLACK-...959490?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item56513a4042

So now I'm hunting for a new case. I've had really good experiences with the Seidio case with my Nexus S, but it's proven to be rather expensive compared to what others have offered. Wouldn't mind going back if it's the only case of this category that is the best fit and protection for the device.

I was looking at the Mybat but was concerned about the actual bulk of the device, and it being easy to remove as I often take off the shell from time to time. Also, no one seemed to comment if the case interferes with headphones with L-shaped plugs either.

The other two contenders are Ballistic and Ionic, heard great things from both but unsure which is better. I did hear that Ionic cases attract lint very easily but I do like its price very much. Not a fan of the bubble-back design though. Heard great things about Ballistic, but like the Seidio case, the cost is making me apprehensive about purchasing one.

Mybat: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Nexus-4-...4?pt=PDA_Accessories&var=&hash=item2a286793ca

Ionic: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00A06Z41E/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3KQDBCHA3FRT9

Ballistic: http://www.goballisticcase.com/products/lg-nexus-4-ballistic-shell-gel-sg-series-case

Seidio: http://www.seidioonline.com/lg-nexus-4-active-metal-kickstand-case-black-p/csk3lgn4k-bk.htm

So what do you guys think would be the best?

Cheers,
deltatux

I have the iconic and thought it was too thick, so I ordered the Ballistic one and it's even thicker :(

I'm tempted to try the ACTIVE but I have spent so much on cases it isn't even funny....

Edit...I just bought it on ebay for $24.99 and free shipping.

Last edited:

dalton8

Sep 17, 2010
When i had my gs3 i had a variety of cases including; cheap ebay "tough" cases with kickstands, an otterbox defender (never again), and a ballistic sg. The Ballistic is a GREAT case. It was sturdy, the phone would never pop out, the plastic was nice, and the silicone inner was much better than the plastic inner found on the defender. The silicon not only prevented scratches, but also prevented dust and any other unwanted items in. It almost seals the device. When i bought my nexus 4, i was very dissapointed that there weren't any decent protective cases out. I knew the ballistic sg was coming, but ive had my device since december and needed something for the short term... Something to get so i can wait for the ballistic. I was almost going to buy the case you bought, but i really don't like kickstands. I searched on ebay and found the mybat tough case, I bought it as it met all my requirements; it was cheap, it was protective, it didn't have a kickstand, and it actually looked good. The buyer i bought my case from shipped the case very fast to Australia, (which suprised me, usually these types of cases end up taking about a month) To my suprise, the case was really good quality for the price. The cutouts were (almost) perfect, the fit was pefect, the phone doesn't move about at all. I paid 15 dollars shipped to Australia compared the 70 or 80 odd dollars it would cost me to buy a ballistic shipped. I had the case on for a day, and I loved it...Until I tried to hang up on a phone call... the sensor on the lg is very sensitive, and this case just blocks it enough to stop the screen coming on. This fault was quickly fixed with a drill bit, and since then, i have had no issues, and will continue using this case for the remainder of the phones life. I simply prefer the whole case over the ballistic i had on the s3. However the ballistic was slightly better made, it doesn't warrant even a 15 dollar increase over this case. I love this case. (Note in my pictures the proximity cut out I modified) I did a custom design with sharpie marker on mine and it came out awesome! I wouldn't do this to a more expensive case as id be worried about wrecking it, but since these bad boys are so cheap, who cares. If this broke, i wouldn't think twice at buying another one.

Edit: This case also works with my energizer qi charging mat.

Attachments

• IMG_20130205_215900.jpg
    IMG_20130205_215900.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 952
  • IMG_20130205_220027.jpg
    IMG_20130205_220027.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 975
  • IMG_20130205_220039.jpg
    IMG_20130205_220039.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 881
  • IMG_20130212_121140.jpg
    IMG_20130212_121140.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 1,018
Last edited:

threeclaws

Mar 7, 2006
California
I'd go with Mybat (because it's cheap and looks decent) or the Active (because seidio makes a good product and I like the kickstand.)

i also love the look of rugged cases.. been using them ever since my first smartphone :D

currently i am using this armourdilo case that i saw online.. it is available for sale on mobilefun website or i have seen a seller through eBay AUS...
availbale in a varieety of colours as well :) although i stuck the standard black on black ...
as well as many youtube vdo reviews bout it.. so i decided to buy it.. really good look and feel..

mobilefun . co .uk/armourdillo-hybrid-protective-case-for-google-nexus-4-black-p37764.htm

ebay . com/itm/Black-Nexus-4-LG-E960-Defender-Durable-TPU-Tradesman-Silicone-Case-Cover-Stand-/221179527930

youtube . com/watch?v=kG0gBUikx-g [ vdo review i found on utub :p ]

chk it out..

deltatux

Apr 17, 2011
Toronto
When i had my gs3 i had a variety of cases including; cheap ebay "tough" cases with kickstands, an otterbox defender (never again), and a ballistic sg. The Ballistic is a GREAT case. It was sturdy, the phone would never pop out, the plastic was nice, and the silicone inner was much better than the plastic inner found on the defender. The silicon not only prevented scratches, but also prevented dust and any other unwanted items in. It almost seals the device. When i bought my nexus 4, i was very dissapointed that there weren't any decent protective cases out. I knew the ballistic sg was coming, but ive had my device since december and needed something for the short term... Something to get so i can wait for the ballistic. I was almost going to buy the case you bought, but i really don't like kickstands. I searched on ebay and found the mybat tough case, I bought it as it met all my requirements; it was cheap, it was protective, it didn't have a kickstand, and it actually looked good. The buyer i bought my case from shipped the case very fast to Australia, (which suprised me, usually these types of cases end up taking about a month) To my suprise, the case was really good quality for the price. The cutouts were (almost) perfect, the fit was pefect, the phone doesn't move about at all. I paid 15 dollars shipped to Australia compared the 70 or 80 odd dollars it would cost me to buy a ballistic shipped. I had the case on for a day, and I loved it...Until I tried to hang up on a phone call... the sensor on the lg is very sensitive, and this case just blocks it enough to stop the screen coming on. This fault was quickly fixed with a drill bit, and since then, i have had no issues, and will continue using this case for the remainder of the phones life. I simply prefer the whole case over the ballistic i had on the s3. However the ballistic was slightly better made, it doesn't warrant even a 15 dollar increase over this case. I love this case. (Note in my pictures the proximity cut out I modified) I did a custom design with sharpie marker on mine and it came out awesome! I wouldn't do this to a more expensive case as id be worried about wrecking it, but since these bad boys are so cheap, who cares. If this broke, i wouldn't think twice at buying another one.

How easy is it to remove the case once installed? Plus does it interfere with L-shaped headphone jacks?

deltatux

dalton8

Sep 17, 2010
How easy is it to remove the case once installed? Plus does it interfere with L-shaped headphone jacks?

deltatux

The case is easier to get off than my ballistic sg on the s3 was. With that said, if i drop it, it doesn't feel as if it will fly apart. The case has interfered with one of my L-shaped head jacks, and works with another.. i just use a simple headphone extender when i want to use those earphones.

deltatux

Apr 17, 2011
Toronto
The case is easier to get off than my ballistic sg on the s3 was. With that said, if i drop it, it doesn't feel as if it will fly apart. The case has interfered with one of my L-shaped head jacks, and works with another.. i just use a simple headphone extender when i want to use those earphones.

Hmmm that might not fly then for me... I listen to music with my phone a lot ... my phone is essentially an Internet-enabled MP3 player that so happens to have a phone function built in lol.

deltatux

maat_o121

Mar 16, 2006
I have the ionic case on mine wasn't too sure from the pictures but I like it and the circles on the back aid grip.

I also dropped it from about 5feet and it bounced on all 4 corners but the phone was fine!

deltatux

Apr 17, 2011
Toronto
I have the ionic case on mine wasn't too sure from the pictures but I like it and the circles on the back aid grip.

I also dropped it from about 5feet and it bounced on all 4 corners but the phone was fine!

I heard that it is a dust/lint magnet, is this true?

Cheers,
deltatux

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

PnkPwrRngr

Jul 4, 2010
I'm running the seidio surface case. Expensive, but you can't beat the quality.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

NLPUNITED

Aug 11, 2012
Montreal
Second with mybatt.. Cheap and sturdy for the price. Get a good looking one for the less dangerous situations.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Black River

Dec 3, 2010
The best protection gives you MyBat! I have Wrapsol film and the Tuff case from MyBat and I think my phone is unbreakable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

sid21

May 17, 2012
Mumbai
can i order the ionic case to india?
please reply me asap
i am in urgently need for a case
should be protective and cheap as well

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

that back is awesome! :)
    Mate I answered you about headphones, check http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=37912172#post37912172 :silly: I can recommend the tuff case too, it is a solid and very fair priced case.