[Q] Wifi or 3g?

Search This thread

Po678

Sep 13, 2012
Too bad i had to return my galaxy note 10.1 2014 just because of a screen bug :| . I got a refund though so am happy but now i am thinking as to why i should get a 3g tablet and just get a wifi version which is cheaper. Is it possible to just set up mobile hotspot on my blackberry q10 and get the wifi note 10.1 and connect to it ? :|

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I personally wouldn't own a Wi-Fi tablet and have been using a 3G Note 10.1 since last August when the N8000 was released. I now have a SM-P601.

• It's always connected. If you're at an airport you can just pull it out and you're online. Boarding called? Just stuff it back in your bag. The whole concept of pulling out my phone, turning on tethering, connecting the tablet and then having to do the same thing in reverse is just tedious. Leave tethering on your phone on accidentally and your phone's battery is toast.

• Battery maximization. Why use Wi-Fi from your phone with a small battery to power your tablet with a massive one? I always use my tablet for long conference calls and video calls because its battery is enormous and I can count on my phone being charged enough when I need it.

• Syncing. I have nine syncs running in addition to any apps that may need syncing too. When you turn on a Wi-Fi tablet that's been offline tons of syncs all hit the now available connection at the same time to update themselves. Your device will move like sludge until their done.

• Convenience. I have my phone and tablet configured the exact same way so I can get the same information from either. The phone's convenient for fast things like short MMS and quick calls. The tablets great when you're reading or composing longer items like e-mail. I sync bookmarks, Scrapbook, and S Note between my tablet and phone so I can start something on one and pick up where I left off on the other.

• Wi-Fi isn't everywhere and where it is available it can be weak and inconsistent. I can send an e-mail via 3G faster than I can find a Wi-Fi AP and sign in to it. Overseas, Wi-Fi isn't free and isn't as readily available as it is in the U.S. A PayG data card can be cheaper than Wi-Fi in a lot of countries.

• Adding an unsubsidized device like a 3G N10.1-14 to your plan has dropped in price on both AT&T and T-Mobile. The additional price difference for the 3G vs. the Wi-Fi N10.1-14 cost me about $120 which is like $10 a month if I keep it a year. The freedom of being always connected is worth the extra cost, monthly and upfront, for me. And if you're on a shared data plan the same amount of data is consumed whether your device is connecting directly or being tethered via your phone.

YMMV.

Po678

Sep 13, 2012
Interesting!! my main concern would be gps pinpointing my location since i do a little traveling here and there but my q10 can do that... :/ Any kind of ratio as to which model has the most problems? i developed a little phobia of recieving problematic devices :| this is the first time i had to return a device. I am leaning on to the wifi version now Thanks btw :).

WinePress

Oct 7, 2013
I would go with 3g like Barry_GEG said.
I almost bought the wifi only but the Samsung Store here in South East Asia had the 3g for $600 so I couldn't pass it up.

I use it as a home phone now also.
I would never buy a wifi only in the future.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Tapatalk

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
My main concern would be gps pinpointing my location since i do a little traveling here and there but my q10 can do that

Tablets, especially large ones, make great navigation devices. Here's mine showing a route in Garmin. That's another advantage of a 3G tablet. You don't have to cache maps in Google Maps and Google Now and S Voice which require Internet access to work are always available. I wouldn't mount a 10" tablet on my windshield but I'll prop it up in the seat next to me or allow a passenger to be navigator.

Po678

Sep 13, 2012
Hmmmmm .....i checked in one of the stores and it seems there is a 4g version available here and there is a hype about snapdragon in the forums. is the snapdragon worth the extra bucks? because the wifi only version is alot expensive than it is worth in the middle east , i might as well pay high for the 4g version? what do you guys think?

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Where I live 3G contracts are way too expensive... It takes me one second to turn on the hotspot on my phone and im not travelling that often to really make use of another 3g contract.
But i can see the arguments in the first post :)

Reactions: Po678

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I personally wouldn't own a Wi-Fi tablet and have been using a 3G Note 10.1 since last August when the N8000 was released. I now have a SM-P601.

• It's always connected. If you're at an airport you can just pull it out and you're online. Boarding called? Just stuff it back in your bag. The whole concept of pulling out my phone, turning on tethering, connecting the tablet and then having to do the same thing in reverse is just tedious. Leave tethering on your phone on accidentally and your phone's battery is toast.

• Battery maximization. Why use Wi-Fi from your phone with a small battery to power your tablet with a massive one? I always use my tablet for long conference calls and video calls because its battery is enormous and I can count on my phone being charged enough when I need it.

• Syncing. I have nine syncs running in addition to any apps that may need syncing too. When you turn on a Wi-Fi tablet that's been offline tons of syncs all hit the now available connection at the same time to update themselves. Your device will move like sludge until their done.

• Convenience. I have my phone and tablet configured the exact same way so I can get the same information from either. The phone's convenient for fast things like short MMS and quick calls. The tablets great when you're reading or composing longer items like e-mail. I sync bookmarks, Scrapbook, and S Note between my tablet and phone so I can start something on one and pick up where I left off on the other.

• Wi-Fi isn't everywhere and where it is available it can be weak and inconsistent. I can send an e-mail via 3G faster than I can find a Wi-Fi AP and sign in to it. Overseas, Wi-Fi isn't free and isn't as readily available as it is in the U.S. A PayG data card can be cheaper than Wi-Fi in a lot of countries.

• Adding an unsubsidized device like a 3G N10.1-14 to your plan has dropped in price on both AT&T and T-Mobile. The additional price difference for the 3G vs. the Wi-Fi N10.1-14 cost me about $120 which is like $10 a month if I keep it a year. The freedom of being always connected is worth the extra cost, monthly and upfront, for me. And if you're on a shared data plan the same amount of data is consumed whether your device is connecting directly or being tethered via your phone.

YMMV.
    Where I live 3G contracts are way too expensive... It takes me one second to turn on the hotspot on my phone and im not travelling that often to really make use of another 3g contract.
    But i can see the arguments in the first post :)