[Q] Getting rid of Temp Root and go back to normal (Archos 80G9)

Search This thread

CRiZZ76

Dec 15, 2013
Hi everybody,

I tried to be "fabulous" and attempted to root my 80G9 Turbo with 250GB.
And I actually managed to get the Temp Root to work (hence the "#" in adb shell). However, my tablet slowed down immensely from that, I barely can operate it. So I got scared and now I can't go back to normal.

I sucessfully installed the offical update file from the Archos website, but that did not get rid of the Temp Root.
To gain the Temp Root in the first place, I pushed these files "1" and "2" to /data/local and executed them, restarting after each file.
So to revert that, I tried to just remove these files. After restart, still the same thing, still Temp Root.

If I had known this before, I would not have attempted it. I thought, that Temp Root is (hence the name) temporary
but I'm stuck in it and I can't get out of it.
All my data and Apps astonishingly are still there and intact, and I am still able to listen to my music fluently,

Will I be able to go back to normal without losing data? I shouldn't have messed around. I hope someone can help me out.
Thanks

Djirin

Apr 22, 2012
The slowness is due to how the 'root' is working. If you want to install the SDE (special developer edition) of recovery you can keep the root and follow the few remaining steps here in the first grey section on page 1. Might need to download the Enable SDE.zip file that is at the bottom of that section if you have not already.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1871912

After that is done and sde is installed you should be able to update the firmware with official Archos firmware to get rid of the root. Archos firmware does not wipe the tablet so no worries there.

Or you can just update the firmware itself.

CRiZZ76

Dec 15, 2013
Thanks so much, so there is hope!

Would it also be safe to follow the "easier" SDE method that is linked in the thread you gave me?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1653566

Or should I rather use the method in the grey section since i started it like that?

Once again, thanks!

EDIT: I see there are serveral methods to enable SDE (official and unoffical). Can I use any method I like? Or do I have to use unofficial, because I already followed the steps up until Temp Root?

And if I have SDE Menu enabled, is it safe to i.e. install the rooted stock firmware update without losing files and apps? (that includes removing local.prop and Android Kernel and flashing)

Sorry for being paranoid but I don't wanna make any mistakes. Thanks :)

Last edited:

leadtk

May 26, 2011
Thanks so much, so there is hope!

Would it also be safe to follow the "easier" SDE method that is linked in the thread you gave me?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1653566

Or should I rather use the method in the grey section since i started it like that?

Once again, thanks!

EDIT: I see there are serveral methods to enable SDE (official and unoffical). Can I use any method I like? Or do I have to use unofficial, because I already followed the steps up until Temp Root?

And if I have SDE Menu enabled, is it safe to i.e. install the rooted stock firmware update without losing files and apps? (that includes removing local.prop and Android Kernel and flashing)

Sorry for being paranoid but I don't wanna make any mistakes. Thanks :)

Once you have SDE installed it should stay installed regardless of the firmware,the only thing that will remove it is choosing to do so in the SDE menu.
You should be able to install whatever firmware you want after that rooted or official.

Like Djirin the Archos firmware dose not wipe the device,but keep in mind that some custom roms mite or,they mite require you to wipe before install.

CRiZZ76

Dec 15, 2013
Once you have SDE installed it should stay installed regardless of the firmware,the only thing that will remove it is choosing to do so in the SDE menu.
You should be able to install whatever firmware you want after that rooted or official.

Like Djirin the Archos firmware dose not wipe the device,but keep in mind that some custom roms mite or,they mite require you to wipe before install.

Thanks guys, I have sucessfully installed SDE and with the next reboot the tablet went back to normal speed, booting into the unrooted system. I still downloaded the Stock Root by surdu_petru, since now that I have SDE active, I can choose to install the rooted FW a a later point but right now I am extremely happy to be able to use my tablet again! You don't understand what I went through! Thanks a lot.