locked VZ S4 -> Dev Moto X, Is this a good idea?

Search This thread

scryan

Oct 19, 2013
I have 1 year left on my contract and on my S4, but I use none of the special S4 features and am tired of a locked down phone. I am thinking of moving over to a moto X, and was just hoping for any and all feedback.
X+1
I am waiting for the Sept 4th announcement to do anything, But I expect the X + 1 dev edition to cost too much (anything much over $500 and I will be seriously thinking, over $600 and I am out for sure.)
I am hoping to have the new phone I get cost roughly similar to a new phone on contract after I subtract the money made by selling my nearly mint S4 (hoping $250-$300?)
About me:
I don't play games, I just need web browsing, FB, music player, view the occasional document, ect..
I am not an obsessive flasher. I want root/custom recovery to give me the option of managing my own updates. Mostly having a recent OS and the option to flash minor modifications such as offered by xposed framework or stock based roms is my biggest concern.

I use none of my touchwiz fanciness, automated things that go off automatically tend to annoy me (not sure about that voice control in this regard though it sounds cool),

Why Moto x?
Active display, Moto's payment plan, unlocked BL, as well as the "grown up" focus on solid performance and ergonomics is what appeal to me. My S4's specs already seem to be more then I need, and if the Moto X can be as snappy or more then my S4 while giving me an up to date phone for the next year and a half I will be content. (Should be out of school and making decent money by then?)

Why not s4?
I feel like the S4 has more flash then I can appreciate, while being slightly uncomfortable, having annoyingly poor build quality and a fairly bleak future for the modding community... And that at least for now I could move to a moto X for the cost of a new contract phone, but with out contract and with an unlocked bootloader to boot.

Not sure on this one though, and a little worried about being happy still with a Moto X a year from now... So trying to get a wide variety of opinions on this.

scryan

Oct 19, 2013
What carrier? If Vzw go for a Maxx it is already a x + 1/2! Lol.

It is VZ, but I thought the Maxx was no longer available as a dev edition?
If I didn't make it clear enough, the majority of the reason I am getting rid of the S4 is jumping through hoops with updates, and wanting a device that is guaranteed unlocked on Verizon.

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
It is VZ, but I thought the Maxx was no longer available as a dev edition?
If I didn't make it clear enough, the majority of the reason I am getting rid of the S4 is jumping through hoops with updates, and wanting a device that is guaranteed unlocked on Verizon.

Really. I did not know that.

roze658

Oct 23, 2011
Hudsonville MI
I just got Dev edition, moto web sight $324. I also have S 4, I bought the x for better reception, so far been really good.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app

scryan

Oct 19, 2013
I just got Dev edition, moto web sight $324. I also have S 4, I bought the x for better reception, so far been really good.

yeah it looks like I just missed the $324 but I am going to call up and talk with customer service to see what they can do. Just waiting to hear back about the moto playment plan.

Can you talk more about the differences in your experience with each device? Just kind of general which one you like more and how the moto has been... I like what I hear about reception, seems like mine is never quite good enough.

roze658

Oct 23, 2011
Hudsonville MI
I pretty much use the phone like you, I like my S 4 mdk for battery life and tweeks with custom kernel, but Samsung radio's have poor reception. I've owned Motorola phones in the past reception has always been good with moto. This is why I purchased.

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
I feel the X screen is too dim/variable compared to the Maxx. Root is not necessary on the Maxx, to me, anyway.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

+++
Signal is great on any Moto.

Teksu

Jun 9, 2010
I love my VZW X DE. Had a non-DE maxx, sold it cause i lost root after taking 4.4

Performance and battery life are awesome. Im sure this device will please me for at least the next year, or until i have enough spare cash to justify an upgrade

jasoraso

May 24, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
One thing to note, is that if the O.P. browses through the development forums for the Moto X, there are not very many ROM's. If you love to flash something new every few days, then you might be disappointed.

However, the reason that there aren't very many ROM's is because the stock experience is so good - for the things you listed - active display, Moto Assist, etc. that don't work in AOSP based Rom's. A stock, debloated ROM with xposed is really all that is needed to have a fantastic device!

I wouldn't be surprised if the Moto X dev editions get cheap again after the Sept 4th press conference, or at the very least, I expect Swappa/Ebay to have several after that date :) Maybe even mine :)

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
I just switched from an S4 to a Moto X developer and I am very pleased. I took advantage of the $324 sale they had on the Moto X developer edition.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk