[Review] Hyperion 3800 mAH Extended Battery for LG Nitro HD

Search This thread

stemalo

Feb 29, 2012
I have an Optimistic LTE (Canadian version of NITRO HD) and tether is built in the stock setup options

Sent from my LG-P935 using Tapatalk 2

Namuna

Jan 11, 2010
New York
Got mine today. It's currently charging.

So far I'm in agreement with most of the comments about this battery:
* The extra thickness of the battery/cover basically doubles the thickness of the Nitro...Which I actually like.
* The replacement cover is of the same high quality and fit as the original, including the texture on the back.

Can't comment on the capacity yet, but so far I'm very impressed with the package received...Especially at such a low price!

Namuna

Jan 11, 2010
New York
It's a WINNER!

BOTTOM LINE:
It's still only the 1st charge and 1st use, but so far I am wholly impressed!

A Little non-scientific testing
After charging overnight, this morning the Hyperion got put through a little bit of stress testing.

Every morning my young Son wakes up much earlier than I do, to keep him occupied so Dad can get a few more Zzzz's, I let him play some games on the Nitro.

Because of the types of games he likes and if he's been playing the whole time while we're getting ready for work/school...My Nitro is usually down to around 20%. Today, on the way out the door, he finally gives up the phone and when I check the battery is at 70% !!

During my commute to work, I fire up a session of Sentinel 3 (tower defense game) which is another battery killer app. When I get to my desk I'm expecting to see the battery in the area of 20%...But it's at 50%! Nice!

Other Fringe Benefits
* With the extra thickness of the back cover, the camera is now recessed by around 1/4", which means less finger smudges
* The thicker profile of the phone now also dissipates the heat more, meaning the back doesn't get as hot anymore

hem.acharya

Sep 19, 2010
Toronto
with all these good review i couldn't stop myself. ordered mine for $17.99 with $14.99 for international shipping . it will take about 2 weeks to reach here now . lets see then

blaineball

May 6, 2009
Just ordered mine off eBay, $17.99 with free expedited shipping!

Extra battery life will be great, I am more excited about the added weight and thickness. I am a big guy with pretty big hands, sometimes it really feels to small and light. My wife has the Skyrocket and I hate how thin and light it is. Feels cheap and plastic-y.

I will report back with perfomance results. Currenly with CM9 and stock battery I get roughly 10-11 hours of medium use. If I could get a solid day (from waking up to going to bed) that would be awesome.

youngv408

Dec 7, 2010
Just ordered mine off eBay, $17.99 with free expedited shipping!

Extra battery life will be great, I am more excited about the added weight and thickness. I am a big guy with pretty big hands, sometimes it really feels to small and light. My wife has the Skyrocket and I hate how thin and light it is. Feels cheap and plastic-y.

I will report back with perfomance results. Currenly with CM9 and stock battery I get roughly 10-11 hours of medium use. If I could get a solid day (from waking up to going to bed) that would be awesome.

you will! just fully charge battery first.....if i am surfing the web or using the phone data either 4g or lte in like 2 hours my phone is like already 15 percent...with screen at almost max brightnes...and same scenario with the hyper battery itl be at like around 70 percent left lol

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
you will! just fully charge battery first.....if i am surfing the web or using the phone data either 4g or lte in like 2 hours my phone is like already 15 percent...with screen at almost max brightnes...and same scenario with the hyper battery itl be at like around 70 percent left lol

This just sold me. I've been frustrated more and more with the stock battery lately. It got better for awhile, but now its getting worse. Ill have to get the Hyperion.

Sent from my LG-P930 using XDA

Namuna

Jan 11, 2010
New York
1 week check-in.

* No more worries about letting my young son play games on my Nitro. With the stock battery I was always worried that he'd burn the battery down playing games while I wasn't looking and when I'd be leaving the house I'd have a dead phone. Those worries are totally gone now.
* With the stock battery, if the phone wasn't in my hand being used, I had to be vigilant in ALWAYS making sure it was plugged-in being charged. I can relax a little now.

I'm not specifically giving credit for those niceties to the Hyperion battery, but more so to having a PROPER battery capacity for a workhorse phone. It's damned nice that my priority now is thinking about what's coming in the next ROM nightly, instead of how far am I away from a power source.

stemalo

Feb 29, 2012
I am totally satisfied with the Hyperion. I leave in the morning and only put it on the charger before going to bed at night.. On the weekend I can use it Saturday and part of the day on Sunday.

osmosizzz

Dec 13, 2010
Central Jersey. That's it
anyone have any case solutions for extended batteries, Im searching now..

thanks.

Well there are no cases but im thinking of getting a silicone and cutting it in a way that it hugs the phone in the front a little and also on the side. im not to worried about the back but I just want something around the phone so i can feel better and know that if it drops, all the impact is not falling on the phone

k4ce

Jan 5, 2011
Hyderabad/Bangalore/TX
I finally got my battery .. ordered on amazon .. they had some issues finding inventory but they kept me updated with the situation ...

And to the battery itself, I am quite excited (I was even more excited when I ordered it cos I was getting 8-10 hours on one charge ... and then I flashed the P936 kdz and not get close to 14-15) ...

Quick question .. Do I have to do the 12 hour charge ? Cos I just put it to charge and need the phone in the evening ... I think I will just pull it out once it has done 100pc ... I really want this battery to give me as much life as my friend's razr maxx ...

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
Quick question .. Do I have to do the 12 hour charge ? Cos I just put it to charge and need the phone in the evening ... I think I will just pull it out once it has done 100pc ... I really want this battery to give me as much life as my friend's razr maxx ...

No, once it says "charged" instead of "charging" you're good to go.

Reactions: BananaPhone69

surewhynot

Apr 19, 2012
LG Optimus LTE2 2150mAh battery size?

Does anyone know if the battery in the new Optimus LTE2 will fit in the P930?
It is supposed to be 2150 mAh and the phone does not appear to be any thicker, so I'm thinking it may be a nice stock upgrade if it fits.

hereric

Oct 27, 2010
The new optimus isn't even released in Korea yet so unless someone has insiders for LG, were going to have to wait and see. The battery is probably wider than ours though, that extra capacity takes more volume

Sent from my LG-P930 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First, some pictures:

CiCYU.jpg

e3l8J.jpg

Phone with extended back cover, compared with TPU case:
    jxLyJ.jpg

Front and back of phone, with extended battery cover on. The cover is quite solid and fits flush with the phone. The build quality is very good, quite similar to the stock back cover IMO.
    dZFEc.jpg

gHwDQ.jpg

As far as the performance goes, I'm pretty happy so far. After I got it, I charged it completely, and then started using it. Here is my usage graph so far. I accidentally left TuneIn Radio running in the background overnight, hence the big "awake" section. Even after 16 hours of some decently heavy use, I've still got 34% left. And this is on the very first charge, before any calibration has been done. The stock battery definitely could not last through this much use on one charge.

djSBp.png
    Update:

Here's the battery life on the second charge.

The vertical line in the middle is from when I shut off the phone to flash a new nightly.

udLa7.png
    important read
    I purchased the hyperion battery a couple of months ago and just last week I started to see what looked like a little drop of water in the middle of the screen. I taught for sure that the screen was going on the fritz then today noticed that my case was not closing properly. opened it up and found that the battery started swelling which cause the little drop in the screen and the case not closing poorly.
    just reverted back to the initial battery.

just wanted to let you guys know.

I really want this but don't want the added thickness.. :(

How thick is it with the extended battery and cover?
    For me the way I would normally hold the phone, there is a small gap between the inside of my fingers and the phone, so the added bulk makes it feel a little more natural. Yes, it looks really thick, but in reality it feels fine. But, I wouldn't use it with tighter pants (jeans,khakis, etc...) because it would look massive in your pocket.
    Hey guys, i just got mine in the mail today at 5pm just put it on charge until i have to go to work at 5:30am tomorrow. just wondering if i should run it down to 0% and then recharge? or start charging it at 1%? hope to here back soon. thanks for your reviews guys and hoping the battery meets my expectations. I'm running Ho!no! Full Throttle at the moment for the under volt to try and get the most out of the stock battery. My last Discharge was 18 hours with stock battery with light to medium use with brightness turned as far down as it will go. i am normally a heavy user but have found i have to resist using my phone due to stock battery drain. i will let you know how it goes!

I would say charge it for however long it says, run it completely down. As in, let it die... run Netflix or something for a few hours until it dies. Then plug it in and don't turn it on until it's completely charged.