Battery Life/Damage

Search This thread

Soul TKR

Jun 19, 2011
Seattle, WA
www.wesvfx.com
Hey guys I'm often a lurker on here and don't post a whole lot but came across this article and found it interesting. Thought I'd share... Also, I like to leave my HTC ONE plugged in on my desk stand at work with the "Daydream" clock function running (basically using my phone as a desk clock). Do you think leaving it plugged in charging all day running this clock is doing any damage to my battery? It of course fills up and charges to 100% pretty quickly because I never really let it get below 80%. Below is my charging habit...

1. Charges all night at my bedside
2. Take it off the charger in the morning while getting ready for work and my drive
3. Get to work, plug it in for 6-7 hours running Daydream
4. Take it off the charger and go home... (off the charger for about 4-5 hours in the evening)
5. Go to bed, plug it in, and start all over again...

Oh and here's the article :lol:

http://gizmodo.com/going-from-all-the-way-full-to-all-the-way-empty-wont-h-618834847

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

Your smartphone is a minor miracle, a pocket-sized computer that can fulfill almost every whim. But none of its superpowers matter a bit if it runs out of juice. With removable batteries becoming more and more rare, you've got to take good care of the one you got. Fortunately, it's not to hard keep the lithium-ion powering your everything machine happy if you follow a few simple rules.

Obviously, the first rule for extending your battery life is not using up all your battery life playing candy crush and walking around with Wi-Fi and GPS enabled when you're not using either and really, really need your phone to last that extra hour. But aside from that, there are some basic rules for care and charging, and they're the simplest baseline for a healthy battery.

Top it off

You may vaguely recall hearing something about rechargeable batteries and the "memory effect." You know, that if you don't "teach" your rechargeable batteries their full potential by taking them from totally full to totally empty, they'll "forget" part of their capacity. Well forget all that. Right now. It's wrong.

To get the most out of a lithium-ion battery, you should try to keep it north of 50 percent as much as possible. For the most part going from all the way full to all the way empty won't help; in fact, it'll do a little damage if you do it too often. That said, it's smart to do one full discharge about once a month for "calibration," but don't do it all the time. Running the whole gamut on a regular basis won't make your battery explode or anything, but it will shorten its lifespan.

So if you're really particular about optimizing your battery's life, you should try to go from around 40 percent to around 80 percent in one go, and then back down whenever possible. A bunch of tiny charges isn't as bad as going from 100 down to zero all the time, but it's not optimal either.

Keep it cool

It's easy to worry about bad charging habits thanks to the training we've had from old rechargeable batteries, but lithium-ion batteries have a worse enemy: heat. Your smartphone's battery will degrade much much faster when it's hot, regardless of whether it's being used or just sitting around doing nothing.

At an average temperature of 32 degrees fahrenheit, a lithium-ion battery will lose six percent of its maximum capacity per year. At 77 degrees, that number jumps to 20 percent, and at 104 degrees it's a whopping 35. Sure, it's not exactly practical (or sane) to keep your phone in the fridge, but it's worth going out of your way to prevent long stays in hot cars and the like.

Avoid wireless charging

Wireless charging is can be incredibly convenient if your phone can do it, but it's not without its disadvantages. The inductive, wireless chargers out there today have this nasty habit of generating a fair bit of waste heat. And while wasted energy is just a bummer in general, that heat will also toast your battery in the process. That's no bueno. It's a little less convenient, but standard plug-in charging is going to keep your battery in better shape, especially if you're some place warm to begin with.

Never go to zero

Obviously, using your battery is going to make it degrade. But it's going to slowly die even if you just leave that iPad in the closet for a bit. There's a trick to minimizing that inevitable aging though: leave it a little bit of juice.

If you're going to be shelving any lithium-ion battery for a long time, try to leave it with at least 40 percent battery power to tide it over. Lithium-ion batteries don't hemmorage power at 30 percent a month like nickel-metal-hydride batteries do; they'll lose maybe five to ten percent of their charge each month.

And when lithium-ion batteries get too low—like, literally zero percent—they get seriously unstable, and dangerous to charge. To prevent explosion-type disasters if you do try to charge one, lithium-ion batteries have built-in self-destruct circuits that will disable (read: destroy) the battery for good, if it reaches rock bottom. And sure, that'll save you from a face full of battery-acid, but it'll also leave you short one battery.

Don't sweat it too much

It's easy to get protective of your battery, but it's also easy to get lazy. And that's fine, because as long as you're not a complete idiot, you'll be OK. Typically, a lithium-ion battery lasts for three to five years, and chances are you're going to want to swap out your gadgets sometime in that window anyway. The slight damage of a technically bad idea like leaving your phone plugged in all night every night, or using wireless charging, might be worth the convenience.

Still, it's pretty easy to keep your battery reasonably healthy just by avoiding particularly egregious torture like letting your phone discharge from full to zero every single day, or leaving it in a hot car all the time. And the next time you make it back home with power to spare, you'll thank yourself for it.

Last edited:

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
I dont agree that your battery dosent like being or performs worse at a 100%. Or that it harms the battery in any way. I keep my phone plugged in as much as possible durring the day, and all night long. But i only use the wall charger that came with the phone, or a smart car charger made for my phone. Because as the article says, these chargers are smart enough to stop charging for awile after the phone has reached 100% to prevent over charging/heating. Cheap wall and car chargers dont have this feature and continuously provide a charge to the phone. Also charging using a usb port on a pc or other device does not provide this overgharge protection.

My last phones battery lasted for almost 3 1/2 years before needing to be replaced. Heres what i do.

Keep it charging as much as possible only with a "smart" charger.

Never let the batter drain all the way down. If it gets to 10% and i cant charge it at the moment, i turn it off.

Never let your device get too hot. Dont leave it in hot cars or sitting in the sun, etc.

Never "bump charge". That is just a way to trick a smart charger into overcharging your battery.

Also over clocking/volting your phone puts more strain on your battery than it was intended to take. It makes its temperatures rise higher, and the charge to deplete in a more rapid fassion. Both of which are bad for your battery.

These are just my opinions of course, but it seems to work out good for me. I think 3 1/2 years is a pretty acceptable life span.

Dark Jedi

Sep 23, 2012
I have always left my phone's plugged in constantly and never an issue. Once my phone hits 100% it stops charging and then is very cool to the touch from then on.I heard phone's now has a failsafe that will stop charging and start running the phone off the charger and not battery.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

cope413

Jan 7, 2014
Why do you think you should never fully drain it?

Every 30-40 days, you should fully drain your battery - until your phone automatically powers down - and then fully charge it - and allow it to stay on the charger for 30-40 minutes after it's 100%.

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
Why do you think you should never fully drain it?

Every 30-40 days, you should fully drain your battery - until your phone automatically powers down - and then fully charge it - and allow it to stay on the charger for 30-40 minutes after it's 100%.

Draining a lithium ion battery all the way can damage the cells causing irreversible damage to the battery. Read this

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

cope413

Jan 7, 2014
Draining a lithium ion battery all the way can damage the cells causing irreversible damage to the battery. Read this

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

The battery management system in the phone does not allow the cells to go lower than the safe level. For Li-ion cells, that's somewhere around 2.7-3.0volts/cell.

If it did, there'd be not only a huge warranty liability, but also a safety one.

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
The battery management system in the phone does not allow the cells to go lower than the safe level. For Li-ion cells, that's somewhere around 2.7-3.0volts/cell.

If it did, there'd be not only a huge warranty liability, but also a safety one.

You can believe that if you want to but if you actually read that link you will understand. It puts a lot of strain on the cells to go that far down. There is a physical reaction inside your battery of growing and stretching created from the charge/discharge cycle. If you regularly drop the charge to nothing then it makes it harder for it to keep a charge over time. You're more than welcome to do your method of calibration but I'm a firm believer in keeping the battery healthy.

cope413

Jan 7, 2014
You can believe that if you want to but if you actually read that link you will understand. It puts a lot of strain on the cells to go that far down. There is a physical reaction inside your battery of growing and stretching created from the charge/discharge cycle. If you regularly drop the charge to nothing then it makes it harder for it to keep a charge over time. You're more than welcome to do your method of calibration but I'm a firm believer in keeping the battery healthy.

I didn't say regularly. I said every 30-40 days. I have a lot of experience with lithium cells - both manufacturing and selling.

Before getting the One, I regularly used my HiTec lithium charger on my thunderbolt battery to run a discharge cycle, and then balance/charge it slowly.

No one need be afraid of their phone getting below 10%. It isn't causing any damage.

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Well i guess its all a matter of opinion. Me and my wifes first smart phones were the htc incredible. I would never let mine die and the battery lasted fir 3 1/2 years. My wife would let hers die once or twice a month, and it lasted for 14 months before it needed a new battery. Got on her about not letting it die after we replaced the battery, much to my surprise she listened, and the replacement lasted for another 2 1/2 years. Both of our batteries actually still work today just not used to much anymore.

Reactions: disconnecktie

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
I had the dinc2 and followed the same procedure he used and pretty much nuked a battery from doing that same procedure. In less than a year my battery was bad. To each their own but I still don't suggest running it all the way out.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
even anker, who is is probably the biggest portable battery manufacturer recommends not letting their products get below 25% because it can reduce the lifespan of the pack. They state that keeping it between 25-75% is ideal.

twelvefiftyone

Aug 23, 2013
Jersey City
Interesting article, thanks for sharing OP.

I also leave my phone plugged in while sitting at my desk and let it charge up. Typically I plug into my laptop via usb while at work, once fully charged it shows 'fully charged' and switches the led status light to green.

I try to never let it die either but have to travel for work and do get very low on occasion, once I get down to 10% I typically just shut to phone off to preserve power while I am flying and avoid turning it back on again til I can get it on a charger.

danprichet

Feb 14, 2014
Battery Life

I'm new to this phone,so I'm not entirely sure how the battery life is ... but I heard a while ago that you get the best battery life out of phones when you only plug them in to charge when they are completely dead. I don't do it often enough to see a difference, but has anybody else done it?

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
You probably get a much more consistent charge while it is dead/powered off. The only problem there is does letting your phone die occasionally ruin your battery or not?

jpradley

Jul 6, 2010
New York
... I heard a while ago that you get the best battery life out of phones when you only plug them in to charge when they are completely dead. ...
Did you not read the first message in this thread. wherein it says:

To get the most out of a lithium-ion battery, you should try to keep it north of 50 percent as much as possible.

and

Never go to zero.

merlin66676

Jul 16, 2010
My laptop, which is a Lenovo, has 2 settings. Best battery health and best battery life. Best health keeps the battery charged to between 50-60 percent and then stops the charge. Best life goes up to 100.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys I'm often a lurker on here and don't post a whole lot but came across this article and found it interesting. Thought I'd share... Also, I like to leave my HTC ONE plugged in on my desk stand at work with the "Daydream" clock function running (basically using my phone as a desk clock). Do you think leaving it plugged in charging all day running this clock is doing any damage to my battery? It of course fills up and charges to 100% pretty quickly because I never really let it get below 80%. Below is my charging habit...

1. Charges all night at my bedside
    2. Take it off the charger in the morning while getting ready for work and my drive
    3. Get to work, plug it in for 6-7 hours running Daydream
    4. Take it off the charger and go home... (off the charger for about 4-5 hours in the evening)
    5. Go to bed, plug it in, and start all over again...

Oh and here's the article :lol:

http://gizmodo.com/going-from-all-the-way-full-to-all-the-way-empty-wont-h-618834847

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

Your smartphone is a minor miracle, a pocket-sized computer that can fulfill almost every whim. But none of its superpowers matter a bit if it runs out of juice. With removable batteries becoming more and more rare, you've got to take good care of the one you got. Fortunately, it's not to hard keep the lithium-ion powering your everything machine happy if you follow a few simple rules.

Obviously, the first rule for extending your battery life is not using up all your battery life playing candy crush and walking around with Wi-Fi and GPS enabled when you're not using either and really, really need your phone to last that extra hour. But aside from that, there are some basic rules for care and charging, and they're the simplest baseline for a healthy battery.

Top it off

You may vaguely recall hearing something about rechargeable batteries and the "memory effect." You know, that if you don't "teach" your rechargeable batteries their full potential by taking them from totally full to totally empty, they'll "forget" part of their capacity. Well forget all that. Right now. It's wrong.

To get the most out of a lithium-ion battery, you should try to keep it north of 50 percent as much as possible. For the most part going from all the way full to all the way empty won't help; in fact, it'll do a little damage if you do it too often. That said, it's smart to do one full discharge about once a month for "calibration," but don't do it all the time. Running the whole gamut on a regular basis won't make your battery explode or anything, but it will shorten its lifespan.

So if you're really particular about optimizing your battery's life, you should try to go from around 40 percent to around 80 percent in one go, and then back down whenever possible. A bunch of tiny charges isn't as bad as going from 100 down to zero all the time, but it's not optimal either.

Keep it cool

It's easy to worry about bad charging habits thanks to the training we've had from old rechargeable batteries, but lithium-ion batteries have a worse enemy: heat. Your smartphone's battery will degrade much much faster when it's hot, regardless of whether it's being used or just sitting around doing nothing.

At an average temperature of 32 degrees fahrenheit, a lithium-ion battery will lose six percent of its maximum capacity per year. At 77 degrees, that number jumps to 20 percent, and at 104 degrees it's a whopping 35. Sure, it's not exactly practical (or sane) to keep your phone in the fridge, but it's worth going out of your way to prevent long stays in hot cars and the like.

Avoid wireless charging

Wireless charging is can be incredibly convenient if your phone can do it, but it's not without its disadvantages. The inductive, wireless chargers out there today have this nasty habit of generating a fair bit of waste heat. And while wasted energy is just a bummer in general, that heat will also toast your battery in the process. That's no bueno. It's a little less convenient, but standard plug-in charging is going to keep your battery in better shape, especially if you're some place warm to begin with.

Never go to zero

Obviously, using your battery is going to make it degrade. But it's going to slowly die even if you just leave that iPad in the closet for a bit. There's a trick to minimizing that inevitable aging though: leave it a little bit of juice.

If you're going to be shelving any lithium-ion battery for a long time, try to leave it with at least 40 percent battery power to tide it over. Lithium-ion batteries don't hemmorage power at 30 percent a month like nickel-metal-hydride batteries do; they'll lose maybe five to ten percent of their charge each month.

And when lithium-ion batteries get too low—like, literally zero percent—they get seriously unstable, and dangerous to charge. To prevent explosion-type disasters if you do try to charge one, lithium-ion batteries have built-in self-destruct circuits that will disable (read: destroy) the battery for good, if it reaches rock bottom. And sure, that'll save you from a face full of battery-acid, but it'll also leave you short one battery.

Don't sweat it too much

It's easy to get protective of your battery, but it's also easy to get lazy. And that's fine, because as long as you're not a complete idiot, you'll be OK. Typically, a lithium-ion battery lasts for three to five years, and chances are you're going to want to swap out your gadgets sometime in that window anyway. The slight damage of a technically bad idea like leaving your phone plugged in all night every night, or using wireless charging, might be worth the convenience.

Still, it's pretty easy to keep your battery reasonably healthy just by avoiding particularly egregious torture like letting your phone discharge from full to zero every single day, or leaving it in a hot car all the time. And the next time you make it back home with power to spare, you'll thank yourself for it.
    I dont agree that your battery dosent like being or performs worse at a 100%. Or that it harms the battery in any way. I keep my phone plugged in as much as possible durring the day, and all night long. But i only use the wall charger that came with the phone, or a smart car charger made for my phone. Because as the article says, these chargers are smart enough to stop charging for awile after the phone has reached 100% to prevent over charging/heating. Cheap wall and car chargers dont have this feature and continuously provide a charge to the phone. Also charging using a usb port on a pc or other device does not provide this overgharge protection.

My last phones battery lasted for almost 3 1/2 years before needing to be replaced. Heres what i do.

Keep it charging as much as possible only with a "smart" charger.

Never let the batter drain all the way down. If it gets to 10% and i cant charge it at the moment, i turn it off.

Never let your device get too hot. Dont leave it in hot cars or sitting in the sun, etc.

Never "bump charge". That is just a way to trick a smart charger into overcharging your battery.

Also over clocking/volting your phone puts more strain on your battery than it was intended to take. It makes its temperatures rise higher, and the charge to deplete in a more rapid fassion. Both of which are bad for your battery.

These are just my opinions of course, but it seems to work out good for me. I think 3 1/2 years is a pretty acceptable life span.
    Well i guess its all a matter of opinion. Me and my wifes first smart phones were the htc incredible. I would never let mine die and the battery lasted fir 3 1/2 years. My wife would let hers die once or twice a month, and it lasted for 14 months before it needed a new battery. Got on her about not letting it die after we replaced the battery, much to my surprise she listened, and the replacement lasted for another 2 1/2 years. Both of our batteries actually still work today just not used to much anymore.