I9505 - Cannot create loop device, action not permitted

Search This thread

GalaxyPhoner

Mar 28, 2014
Hi, I am trying to put kali linux on my Galaxy S4 I9505, using Complete Linux Installer.
However, I came across an error I couldn't fix, not even after searching every XDA thread about it.

My Galaxy S4 I9505 runs Android 4.3 and was rooted using this method: w|w|w.w0lfdroid.c|o|m/2013/12/Safe-Root-Android-4.3-Galaxy-S3-S4-Note-No-Warranty-Void.html
(Please remove the "|", I have no idea how else I can give detailed information, If I am not even allowed to post my root method. And I don't want to spam the forums for 10 posts..)

Rootchecker says my phone is rooted and I able to run root explorer etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I downloaded the kali linux image via the Complete Linux Installer app (kalilinux.ext4.img), put it on my sdcard and then pressed the "start linux" button.
As soon as the script tries to create a loop device, I get the following error:
Code:
Creating loop device.. mknod: /dev/block/loop255: Operation not permitted
FAILED
Error: Unable to create loop device!

When I checked in /dev/block, I couldn't find a file called "loop255" however I could find files like "loop0".
When I tried to set their permissions, I got the error that I was not allowed to modify it.
When trying to run
Code:
# busybox mount -rw -o loop -t ext4 /dev/block/loop0 /system
I get the error:
Code:
ioctl LOOP_SET_FD failed: Device or resource busy

I am hoping someone could help me further. I am unsure if the problem lies at my root method (not full root or something? KNOX blocking it? Android 4.3 blocking it?), a wrong busybox location or something, or a kernel that doesn't support device looping. Or maybe the problem is something much simpler.

dr_do_little_

Sep 17, 2014
Hi, I am trying to put kali linux on my Galaxy S4 I9505, using Complete Linux Installer.
However, I came across an error I couldn't fix, not even after searching every XDA thread about it.

My Galaxy S4 I9505 runs Android 4.3 and was rooted using this method: w|w|w.w0lfdroid.c|o|m/2013/12/Safe-Root-Android-4.3-Galaxy-S3-S4-Note-No-Warranty-Void.html
(Please remove the "|", I have no idea how else I can give detailed information, If I am not even allowed to post my root method. And I don't want to spam the forums for 10 posts..)

Rootchecker says my phone is rooted and I able to run root explorer etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I downloaded the kali linux image via the Complete Linux Installer app (kalilinux.ext4.img), put it on my sdcard and then pressed the "start linux" button.
As soon as the script tries to create a loop device, I get the following error:
Code:
Creating loop device.. mknod: /dev/block/loop255: Operation not permitted
FAILED
Error: Unable to create loop device!

When I checked in /dev/block, I couldn't find a file called "loop255" however I could find files like "loop0".
When I tried to set their permissions, I got the error that I was not allowed to modify it.
When trying to run
Code:
# busybox mount -rw -o loop -t ext4 /dev/block/loop0 /system
I get the error:
Code:
ioctl LOOP_SET_FD failed: Device or resource busy

I am hoping someone could help me further. I am unsure if the problem lies at my root method (not full root or something? KNOX blocking it? Android 4.3 blocking it?), a wrong busybox location or something, or a kernel that doesn't support device looping. Or maybe the problem is something much simpler.

Hi.. I have found a way of getting through the loop255 creation, below is what i have done;

Installed Terminal IDE on my Samsung GT-19505 and connected to the phone through telnet from my PC.
Once connected change to Super User and go to the below dir', run the command and hit enter

root@192.168.0.61:/system/xbin #mknod -m a=rw /dev/block/loop255 b 7 255

This will create the loop255 device for you
To varify, go to the below directory and run;

root@192.168.0.61:/dev/block# ls
dm-0 loop7 mmcblk0p16 mmcblk0p24 mmcblk0p6 ram1 ram4
loop0 mmcblk0 mmcblk0p17 mmcblk0p25 mmcblk0p7 ram10 ram5
loop1 mmcblk0p1 mmcblk0p18 mmcblk0p26 mmcblk0p8 ram11 ram6
loop2 mmcblk0p10 mmcblk0p19 mmcblk0p27 mmcblk0p9 ram12 ram7
loop255 mmcblk0p11 mmcblk0p2 mmcblk0p28 mmcblk1 ram13 ram8
loop3 mmcblk0p12 mmcblk0p20 mmcblk0p29 mmcblk1p1 ram14 ram9
loop4 mmcblk0p13 mmcblk0p21 mmcblk0p3 param ram15 vold
loop5 mmcblk0p14 mmcblk0p22 mmcblk0p4 platform ram2 zram0
loop6 mmcblk0p15 mmcblk0p23 mmcblk0p5 ram0 ram3

You will see that the device has been created.
Now I have come to another road block;

127|root@192.168.0.61:/data/local # sh /data/data/com.zpwebsites.linuxonandroi>
/data/data/com.zpwebsites.linuxonandroid/files/bootscript.sh[35]: dirname: Permission denied
Checking loop device... FOUND
mount: mounting /dev/block/loop255 on /data/local/mnt failed: Permission denied
Error: Unable to mount the loop device!

I have tried mounting the device manually to /data/local/mnt but still getting same error :(

Still searching for a solution ;)

flashback_pa

Nov 15, 2012
Same problem

Hi, i had the same problem a few months ago and i tried to contact developers, no success,
so i'll look again into it, i'd love to have fedora running inside my S4 ;)
Good luck !

Hi.. I have found a way of getting through the loop255 creation, below is what i have done;

Installed Terminal IDE on my Samsung GT-19505 and connected to the phone through telnet from my PC.
Once connected change to Super User and go to the below dir', run the command and hit enter

root@192.168.0.61:/system/xbin #mknod -m a=rw /dev/block/loop255 b 7 255

This will create the loop255 device for you
To varify, go to the below directory and run;

root@192.168.0.61:/dev/block# ls
dm-0 loop7 mmcblk0p16 mmcblk0p24 mmcblk0p6 ram1 ram4
loop0 mmcblk0 mmcblk0p17 mmcblk0p25 mmcblk0p7 ram10 ram5
loop1 mmcblk0p1 mmcblk0p18 mmcblk0p26 mmcblk0p8 ram11 ram6
loop2 mmcblk0p10 mmcblk0p19 mmcblk0p27 mmcblk0p9 ram12 ram7
loop255 mmcblk0p11 mmcblk0p2 mmcblk0p28 mmcblk1 ram13 ram8
loop3 mmcblk0p12 mmcblk0p20 mmcblk0p29 mmcblk1p1 ram14 ram9
loop4 mmcblk0p13 mmcblk0p21 mmcblk0p3 param ram15 vold
loop5 mmcblk0p14 mmcblk0p22 mmcblk0p4 platform ram2 zram0
loop6 mmcblk0p15 mmcblk0p23 mmcblk0p5 ram0 ram3

You will see that the device has been created.
Now I have come to another road block;

127|root@192.168.0.61:/data/local # sh /data/data/com.zpwebsites.linuxonandroi>
/data/data/com.zpwebsites.linuxonandroid/files/bootscript.sh[35]: dirname: Permission denied
Checking loop device... FOUND
mount: mounting /dev/block/loop255 on /data/local/mnt failed: Permission denied
Error: Unable to mount the loop device!

I have tried mounting the device manually to /data/local/mnt but still getting same error :(

Still searching for a solution ;)

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Ok i'm trying to let it work, and reading the man page of mknod i tried:
mknod -m a=rwxrwxrwx /dev/block/loop255 b 7 255
to avoid the permission problem, in fact i works, BUT trying again to boot linux this error appears:
Error: unable to attach image to loop device!

Now i'm playing with the mount -o loop fedora.img /deb/block/loop255 to find the solution....
Any idea ?

Hi, i had the same problem a few months ago and i tried to contact developers, no success,
Good luck !

flashback_pa

Nov 15, 2012
Something is changing, just used

losetup -r /dev/block/loop255 /fedora.img
but the mount command still fails.
By the way, Are you sure that the type ext4 is correct to mount the iso ? Maybe we should use iso9660 ?

Good luck !

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Ok i'm trying to let it work, and reading the man page of mknod i tried:
mknod -m a=rwxrwxrwx /dev/block/loop255 b 7 255
to avoid the permission problem, in fact i works, BUT trying again to boot linux this error appears:
Error: unable to attach image to loop device!

Now i'm playing with the mount -o loop fedora.img /deb/block/loop255 to find the solution....
Any idea ?