[Q] How to remove At&t Address Book from Contacts

Search This thread

adv1sory

Dec 2, 2011
Toronto
Every time I open contacts it tries to sync with at&t address book. I want to stop this from happening. Any thoughts?

Froid

Apr 5, 2012
somewhere
Go into setting-accounts and sync and remove AT&T account. Then go into contact settings-display options and make sure you don't have it checked(if it's an option anymore). Hope that helps.

Edit:looks like in display options, the first phone is for AT&T. Just go into that and uncheck em all.

Last edited:

zoso28

Feb 17, 2008
East Coast
If you've ever accepted the at&t backup option before, on any phone, you'll have to call up customer care and have them remove it for you. If you've never used it before, you should be able to cancel the operation when it prompts you and it shouldn't pop up again

Edit: I see that you're on Telus so obviously you haven't used it before lol.. You may have to find the service in titanium backup and freeze it to keep it from trying to contact at&t every time you open the address book. I'm sure other ppl using at&t notes have run into this problem before..

Last edited:

Froid

Apr 5, 2012
somewhere
Go into main settings then accounts and sync to remove the AT&T account. Once that's done go into contacts and hit the capacitive menu button. Hit more and you'll see display options. Hit that and you'll see all your options to show contacts. hit each one and check off what you want. I prefer google only, but if all your contacts are on your Sim then use the bottom phone option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: kimtyson

Froid

Apr 5, 2012
somewhere
If you've ever accepted the at&t backup option before, on any phone, you'll have to call up customer care and have them remove it for you. If you've never used it before, you should be able to cancel the operation when it prompts you and it shouldn't pop up again

Edit: I see that you're on Telus so obviously you haven't used it before lol.. You may have to find the service in titanium backup and freeze it to keep it from trying to contact at&t every time you open the address book. I'm sure other ppl using at&t notes have run into this problem before..

I've successfully removed it before without calling them after I've synced. Let me do a little more digging and I'll let you know if there's anything else to do.

Froid

Apr 5, 2012
somewhere
Not to confuse the OP, but found an easier way. Go into contacts and hit settings button. Hit more and choose accounts. you'll see all the accounts that are synced including AT&T. Press it and remove.

Edit:if that doesn't work, I got nothing else. The only other thing is to go into contacts, settings, more, settings and choose to save contacts to anything but phone. If you don't do that I think it will continue to sync when you add a new contact. Good luck!

Last edited:

yyzgayguy

May 19, 2008
Toronto
Anyone else having same problem. None of these solutions is useful because they assume options, settings, or items that aren't present.

The Contacts app launches with a dialog about "subscriber" information for AT&T even tho one is not on that telco. Anyone else had this exact problem, understand why these solutions can't work, and found one that does?

adv1sory

Dec 2, 2011
Toronto
I am currently using The Unofficial 2.0 Beta 4 and installed the inverted app kit found through the tools provided in the rom. This is what fixed the problem for me.

holdout

Nov 18, 2008
You can't remove it. It's not part of the sync providers. The AT&T rom comes with a custom-built Contacts.apk and it's integrated with Android. You'll have to just find/download/use a different Contacts app from the Play Store.

I think however, that removing the AT&T bloatware makes it stop nagging for the AT&T Address Book sync.

I've tried replacing /system/app/Contacts.apk from other ICS builds and it would crash when trying to open Contacts.

shansmi

May 1, 2007
DFW
If you are on ICS, you can disable it from app management under all... look in the "S's" for Sync then click disable. It may still launch a few times because it is in RAM. So launch it a few times and hit cancel. Reboot and launch contacts again and hit cancel. It should go away after that. If you did sign up for that servce you can disable it online (if you are on ATT).

Since you are on Telus, I am guessing you are running one of the ICS leaks or custom ROMs that use one as a base.

sgndroid1

May 17, 2012
If you are on ICS, you can disable it from app management under all... look in the "S's" for Sync then click disable. It may still launch a few times because it is in RAM. So launch it a few times and hit cancel. Reboot and launch contacts again and hit cancel. It should go away after that. If you did sign up for that servce you can disable it online (if you are on ATT).

Since you are on Telus, I am guessing you are running one of the ICS leaks or custom ROMs that use one as a base.

Thanks man

UnagiSmith

Feb 16, 2013
Root then remove AABSync.apk from /system/app directory seems to work fine. Left a copy on SD just in case.

Last edited:

dustbunny

May 2, 2007
This worked for me.

On my Galaxy S3 mini, running JB. Contacts, settings, contacts to display. I selected my gmail only. No more AT&T.

lucobo

Aug 5, 2018
I have just fixed this problem via another forum (as the issue is the phone's address book trying to sync with the online AT&T address book).
Go to the Dial keypad and enter *#*#2666#*#. That will bring up the AAB Setting. Click on Registration, and change the setting from 'Initialized' to 'Completed' . That will stop your address book trying to sync with online At&T address book

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Go into main settings then accounts and sync to remove the AT&T account. Once that's done go into contacts and hit the capacitive menu button. Hit more and you'll see display options. Hit that and you'll see all your options to show contacts. hit each one and check off what you want. I prefer google only, but if all your contacts are on your Sim then use the bottom phone option.