[TUT]To fix a water damaged Neo V

Search This thread

fenzo3

Mar 2, 2013
This was my question before I converted it into a tutorial:
Sorry if this question was posted before (I did ask this in the NOOB-FRIENDLY thread, but didn't get a constructive answer)

My Xperia Neo V dropped into water.
Dried it with rice for a whole day and turned it on. Success! Was able to even play games.
Then I sent it for charging. (Battery was 8%)
5 mins later, it died.

Responds by entering flashmode after blinking red LEDs (3 I think), so I flashed stock.
Still couldn't start, so I sent it for charging (No response either after some hours)
I abandoned it and switched to a Galaxy Ace...until now....
Connected it to PC a month later.
It blinks red LED continuously, unplugged it and plugged it to a charger. No LED response whatsoever.
Plugged to PC again and POOF! Magic.
Detected by PC as my old MT11i :'D
LED is green, can do file exploration. Buttons are lit, vibrates when I press shutter button. No sound with the volume buttons

So the verdict...
CAN I STILL REVIVE MY NEO V?
IS MY DISPLAY DAMAGED?

This tutorial was made possible by @xange and @georgeiulian89. Thanks!

Usually when you drop your phone, you would be doomed. Or so you thought. With this tutorial, you can save A LOT of money buying a new phone or repairing the wet phone!
HOWEVER, I CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT YOUR PHONE CAN REVIVE. THIS WORKED FOR ME (SHALLOW DIP IN WATER). YOU MIGHT ALSO NEED A NEW BATTERY (IF YOU THINK YOU CAN REVIVE IT)

Steps(suggested by xange, proved):
1. Remove your phone from the water source IMMEDIATELY! (duh) DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SWITCH IT ON OR PRESS ANY BUTTON.

2.Remove the battery, SIM and micro SD cards.

3.Dry the body with a dry cloth. Try not to use tissue paper as it will leave residue.

4.Disassemble the phone, all the way to the motherboard. I used a small slotted screwdriver (the one with only one edge)as there are screws shaped like stars. If you have that type of screwdriver you can use it. Similar disassembly video here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ginuDIeNCs8

WARNING: INTERNAL PARTS ARE VERY SENSITIVE TO STATIC, METAL,ETC. BE CAREFUL. ALSO REMOVE THE CONNECTIONS TO THE FRONT COVER AND DIGITIZER (display) BEFORE REMOVING THEM.

5.Direct a blowing fan to all the internal parts to dry them. Keep the screws and parts in an accessible area. Leave it for 30 minutes. DO NOT DRY IT WITH A HAIRDRYER. YOU ARE JUST TRYING TO SCREW YOUR PHONE.

6.Reassemble the phone and insert the battery ONLY. NOTE: Make sure the ribbon connector is clean before connected, if dust (or any tiny electric conductor) sticks on the connector while connecting them, you will have high chancesof damaging the phone. Then, switch on the phone. If not,

A) CHARGE IT: Your phone battery might be 100% dead(until normal charging can't power it on). For me I pressed and held the Back button while plugging the charger into the phone (Flashmode). The LED should blink red and eventually, green. This is when normal charging starts.
B) REPLACE THE BATTERY: You'll need to do so especially when the (once)white area near the connectors of the battery has turned red, indicating battery damage.
C) SEND IT TO A (optional: AUTHORIZED) SERVICE CENTER: Out of luck. This is the furthest I can help.

ALTERNATIVE DRYING METHODS:
A)PUT IT IN RICE FOR A DAY: NO, Asians won't come to repair your phone. Rice acts like silica, which absorbs moisture like sponge. I suggest you disassemble the phone first as rice might get into the small holes around your phone.
B)SOAK IN ALCOHOL, THEN PUT IT OUT: Disassemble it first, too. Though I haven't tried this method, there are those who have proved it to work.
C) RADIATOR DRYING (suggested by georgeiulian89): I've turned it off,i've removed the back cover, took out the battery, sim card and sd card, and i've put the phone on the radiator (i've put a towel between the phone and the radiator and i've placed the phone on the towel). I've left the phone about two hours to dry, and then i've inserted back the sim, sd card and the battery and turned it on.
C)DRY IT WITH A HAIRDRYER: NO. RISKY METHOD. Water will evaporate, then condense back somewhere once you've done hairdrying your phone it will condense back. I tried it and it condensed on my phone's camera lens. (It's a hairdryer, not a phonedryer!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hope this tutorial helps those out there whose phones have went swimming (or diving)
THANK ME IF I HELPED :D

Last edited:

xange

Sep 6, 2012
Cheras, Kuala Lumpur
I dropped my Xperia Neo into water for 3 times, yet still operable, i mean, it survived 3 times of dropped into a pail of water, NO JOKES! .
What you should do is, the moment you dropped your phone into water, pick it out of water immediately, open the back cover and take out the battery immediately to prevent further electric short circuit. You will need some small tool to open every single screw to get the mother board come out (careful when unplug those ribbon sockets, if it breaks, you may have to pay to replace it) and dry (using hair dryer?) every single spot in the phone, except the screen, the screen should be tightly seal and should have no water enter into it. maybe the rubber physical buttons you have to take out and dry it too. (DON'T open the screen no matter what happen, unless water really enters the screen, or else the dust enter and stick at the screen you will have a REALLY HARD TIME { i mean it } to clean those dust out of the screen) confirm everything is dried and then assemble it. (from here onwards, it is a luck test whether you still able to save your phone or not, a line between hell and heaven) Put in your battery, It is normal you may not able to turn on your phone at first, give it a charge about 20 minutes and leave it there (red LED may blink repeat-ly for a while and you will not able to turn it on, just leave it) then switch it on, If you still can't turn it on, try change the battery. If symptom persist, god bless you, i tried my best helping you. ( it means it may not 100% probability to save your phone, but it is a way i did to save my phone)

Eventhough my phone survived dropping into water for 3 times, but it has some problems now, a random one, the phones get really really hot for no reasons for a short period (about 1 hour to 2 days) the heat comes from the motherboard after my inspection, maybe some water droplet enter into the chips and causing electric short circuit?

Good luck.

fenzo3

Mar 2, 2013
I dropped my Xperia Neo into water for 3 times, yet still operable, i mean, it survived 3 times of dropped into a pail of water, NO JOKES! .
What you should do is, the moment you dropped your phone into water, pick it out of water immediately, open the back cover and take out the battery immediately to prevent further electric short circuit. You will need some small tool to open every single screw to get the mother board come out (careful when unplug those ribbon sockets, if it breaks, you may have to pay to replace it) and dry (using hair dryer?) every single spot in the phone, except the screen, the screen should be tightly seal and should have no water enter into it. maybe the rubber physical buttons you have to take out and dry it too. (DON'T open the screen no matter what happen, unless water really enters the screen, or else the dust enter and stick at the screen you will have a REALLY HARD TIME { i mean it } to clean those dust out of the screen) confirm everything is dried and then assemble it. (from here onwards, it is a luck test whether you still able to save your phone or not, a line between hell and heaven) Put in your battery, It is normal you may not able to turn on your phone at first, give it a charge about 20 minutes and leave it there (red LED may blink repeat-ly for a while and you will not able to turn it on, just leave it) then switch it on, If you still can't turn it on, try change the battery. If symptom persist, god bless you, i tried my best helping you. ( it means it may not 100% probability to save your phone, but it is a way i did to save my phone)

Eventhough my phone survived dropping into water for 3 times, but it has some problems now, a random one, the phones get really really hot for no reasons for a short period (about 1 hour to 2 days) the heat comes from the motherboard after my inspection, maybe some water droplet enter into the chips and causing electric short circuit?

Good luck.

I followed a disassembly video for the Neo, but unfortunately the Neo V has a slightly different assembly, so I could not remove the screen to get access to the motherboard. Also, before I put it in rice, I tried to turn it on (Sony said it was water-resistant) after 12 hours in rice. The screen went all weird but I could hint the LegacyXperia kernel logo. That was before my phone booted up normally, and died upon charging.

For your heat problem, perhaps rust? Water should have evaporated from the heat and condensed everywhere in the motherboard.
Would soaking it in alcohol help?

georgeiulian89

Sep 21, 2010
Pitesti
Sorry if this question was posted before (I did ask this in the NOOB-FRIENDLY thread, but didn't get a constructive answer)

Dried it with rice for a whole day and turned it on. Success! Was able to even play games.
5 mins later, it died.

Responds by entering flashmode after blinking red LEDs (3 I think), so I flashed stock.
Still couldn't start, so I sent it for charging (No response either after some hours)
It blinks red LED continuously, unplugged it and plugged it to a charger. No LED response whatsoever.
LED is green, can do file exploration. Buttons are lit, vibrates when I press shutter button. No sound with the volume buttons

So the verdict...
IS MY DISPLAY DAMAGED?

I guess that it's a problem with the battery, not with the display (probably the battery has been short-circuited). I dropped my phone (Xperia Neo) in water 3 days ago. I've took it out after about 10-15 seconds (this was the time until i've realised that it dropped). The phone was still working fine, it didn't shut down by itself. What i did: I've turned it off,i've removed the back cover, took out the battery, sim card and sd card, and i've put the phone on the radiator (i've put a towel between the phone and the radiator and i've placed the phone on the towel). I've left the phone about two hours to dry, and then i've inserted back the sim, sd card and the battery and turned it on. Gues what: it works without any problem, just like before the incident. You should check the water damage indicator on the battery (it's a white strip near the connectors of the battery). If it's white, the phone don't have any problem, but if it's pink or red, the phone was damaged by the water. Mine it's white, with some very little pink on the edge (before it was completely white).

Reactions: fenzo3

fenzo3

Mar 2, 2013
I guess that it's a problem with the battery, not with the display (probably the battery has been short-circuited). I dropped my phone (Xperia Neo) in water 3 days ago. I've took it out after about 10-15 seconds (this was the time until i've realised that it dropped). The phone was still working fine, it didn't shut down by itself. What i did: I've turned it off,i've removed the back cover, took out the battery, sim card and sd card, and i've put the phone on the radiator (i've put a towel between the phone and the radiator and i've placed the phone on the towel). I've left the phone about two hours to dry, and then i've inserted back the sim, sd card and the battery and turned it on. Gues what: it works without any problem, just like before the incident. You should check the water damage indicator on the battery (it's a white strip near the connectors of the battery). If it's white, the phone don't have any problem, but if it's pink or red, the phone was damaged by the water. Mine it's white, with some very little pink on the edge (before it was completely white).

Thanks for the tip but in all-summer Singapore we don't have radiators.

UPDATE: After following steps by @xange to reassemble and charge my Neo V, it BEAUTIFULLY WORKED! :D
The catch: Battery calibration problem, stuck at 100%. I'll figure a way out. Thanks a lot devs!

UPDATE: After following steps by @xange to reassemble and charge my Neo V, it BEAUTIFULLY WORKED! :D
The catch: Battery calibration problem, stuck at 100%. I'll figure a way out. Thanks a lot devs!

To get rid of 100% battery issue, you might just want to flash stock ftf in the first place, give it a full charge and then flash your desired driver.

Sent from my Xperia Neo V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

xange

Sep 6, 2012
Cheras, Kuala Lumpur

try battery calibrator by zeppelinrox. i couldn't recall where he put the script. try search around XDA.... good luck.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

5 mins later, it died.

So the verdict...
IS MY DISPLAY DAMAGED?

Usually when you drop your phone, you would be doomed. Or so you thought. With this tutorial, you can save A LOT of money buying a new phone or repairing the wet phone!
HOWEVER, I CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT YOUR PHONE CAN REVIVE. THIS WORKED FOR ME (SHALLOW DIP IN WATER). YOU MIGHT ALSO NEED A NEW BATTERY (IF YOU THINK YOU CAN REVIVE IT)

1. Remove your phone from the water source IMMEDIATELY! (duh) DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SWITCH IT ON OR PRESS ANY BUTTON.

3.Dry the body with a dry cloth. Try not to use tissue paper as it will leave residue.

4.Disassemble the phone, all the way to the motherboard. I used a small slotted screwdriver (the one with only one edge)as there are screws shaped like stars. If you have that type of screwdriver you can use it. Similar disassembly video here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ginuDIeNCs8

WARNING: INTERNAL PARTS ARE VERY SENSITIVE TO STATIC, METAL,ETC. BE CAREFUL. ALSO REMOVE THE CONNECTIONS TO THE FRONT COVER AND DIGITIZER (display) BEFORE REMOVING THEM.

5.Direct a blowing fan to all the internal parts to dry them. Keep the screws and parts in an accessible area. Leave it for 30 minutes. DO NOT DRY IT WITH A HAIRDRYER. YOU ARE JUST TRYING TO SCREW YOUR PHONE.

6.Reassemble the phone and insert the battery ONLY. Then, switch on the phone. If not,

A) CHARGE IT: Your phone battery might be 100% dead(until normal charging can't power it on). For me I pressed and held the Back button while plugging the charger into the phone (Flashmode). The LED should blink red and eventually, green. This is when normal charging starts.
B) REPLACE THE BATTERY: You'll need to do so especially when the (once)white area near the connectors of the battery has turned red, indicating battery damage.
C) SEND IT TO A (optional: AUTHORIZED) SERVICE CENTER: Out of luck. This is the furthest I can help.

A)PUT IT IN RICE FOR A DAY: NO, Asians won't come to repair your phone. Rice acts like silica, which absorbs moisture like sponge. I suggest you disassemble the phone first as rice might get into the small holes around your phone.
B)SOAK IN ALCOHOL, THEN PUT IT OUT: Disassemble it first, too. Though I haven't tried this method, there are those who have proved it to work.
C) RADIATOR DRYING (suggested by georgeiulian89): I've turned it off,i've removed the back cover, took out the battery, sim card and sd card, and i've put the phone on the radiator (i've put a towel between the phone and the radiator and i've placed the phone on the towel). I've left the phone about two hours to dry, and then i've inserted back the sim, sd card and the battery and turned it on.
C)DRY IT WITH A HAIRDRYER: NO. RISKY METHOD. Water will evaporate, then condense back somewhere once you've done hairdrying your phone it will condense back. I tried it and it condensed on my phone's camera lens. (It's a hairdryer, not a phonedryer!)

Hope this tutorial helps those out there whose phones have went swimming (or diving)

add in: make sure the ribbon connector is clean before connected, if dust(or any tiny electric conductor) stick at connector while connecting them, you will have high chances to spoilt the phone.

Reactions: fenzo3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good luck.

5 mins later, it died.

So the verdict...
    IS MY DISPLAY DAMAGED?

try battery calibrator by zeppelinrox. i couldn't recall where he put the script. try search around XDA.... good luck.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

5 mins later, it died.

So the verdict...
    IS MY DISPLAY DAMAGED?

6.Reassemble the phone and insert the battery ONLY. Then, switch on the phone. If not,

add in: make sure the ribbon connector is clean before connected, if dust(or any tiny electric conductor) stick at connector while connecting them, you will have high chances to spoilt the phone.