[Q] Questions on Bryan's CM7 build

Search This thread

nazcalito

May 4, 2011
San Francisco
I didn't want to clutter up the dev thread with these questions, but I've never used any CM build on any phone.

I unzipped Bryan's CM7 build to see what was inside and noticed it didn't seem to have a launcher and didn't seem to have any market app. Ok so does that mean you have to pre install Google apps from the SDcard to be able to access the market?

In reading the instructions, it seems like Bryan's CM7 build uses the same kernel as his regular beta kernel thread but that can't be right, can it, with the discussion on the thread....

I noticed that the Google apps were all modified for CM7, so does that mean that ordinary apps won't work unless they're modified?

Can I still use the TW4 launcher on CM7? Used to it.

The business about USB storage not working in Android. I assume that means you can't put anything on the SDcard using the USB cable after Android has booted up so that you have to push everything on there with ADB, is that it, in recovery mode?

elmejor183

Jan 15, 2009
Bronx, NY
1. It does contain a launcher; Its called ADW Launcher.
2. Yes, you would need to flash the google apps. I use this one

3. You flash the gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip file then the gapps-gb-20110828-newtalk-signed.zip google talk with video chat support.

4. Its a different kernel. CM7 is using the MTD version. While regular stock roms use BML.

5. I believe you can use the google apps on those files on any rom. But most roms already bring them integrated.

6. Apps developed for use on the Galaxy S phones like TWLauncher et al will not work as they hook onto some samsung specific programming.

7. As mentioned in 6, you cannot use TWLauncher on cm7.

8. Yes you would have to push everything through ADB in the meantime. Pushing/puling through adb does not require rebooting to recovery though.

Juls317

Feb 2, 2011
Indy
Just follow the written instructions on the thread and you'll be fine

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

Fluidification

Feb 26, 2011
IDK how the heck I made my efs backup.

But if anyhow, you manage to make some sort of a tar file with your efs files, you should be fine.

After that,

do the erase_image

and mount /efs

and cd /efs

and tar xf anybackupname.tar

you will install. That is if you get your.

Biohazard0289

Jan 25, 2010
Honestly they confuse the crap outta me. A video would dumb it down for me and im sure a few others.

My suggestion is to wait until the install procedure is easier.

In the CM7 OP, Bryan said (twice) to re-read OP after updates.
Making a video will give you proper instructions for this build, but if Bryan updates the install procedure users following the video are going to have a mixed bag of results, and possible bricks.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Reactions: bhundven

cybok0

Jan 4, 2011
Pittsburgh
Are you using the heimdall command prompt? Or the heimdall program?

Program, I just started reading the one click guide, I think I should of tried that first right?

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

I will have to try this on my day off, a lot of reading and understanding to do.

Juls317

Feb 2, 2011
Indy
Program, I just started reading the one click guide, I think I should of tried that first right?

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

I will have to try this on my day off, a lot of reading and understanding to do.

You need to follow Bryan's instructions EXACTLY, a in use the heimdall command prompts

Juls317

Feb 2, 2011
Indy
I'm going to make a video guide tonight hopefully, but of course I'm going to leave the explicit direction that noobs should not flash it

NeCrO-XyStEr

Apr 12, 2012
I have a question as well. Yes, I know that this isnt exactly high priority, but I'm wondering if later there will be a build with Wifi calling. I was trying to install it myself, but it kept force closing, and I don't wanna try anything that'll mess up my phone any worse than I have before.

Wifi calling is basically a must for me since I basically live in Smallville, KS. I get little to no service here, and without it, it usually takes forever to get anything. And yes, I've tried every modem I could, KG4 works best, since I can sometimes get one bar.

I'm trying to complain or anything, and I thank Team Acid for bringing us CM7.

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
Neo I'm sure at one point bryan will get that working.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

nazcalito

May 4, 2011
San Francisco
6. Apps developed for use on the Galaxy S phones like TWLauncher et al will not work as they hook onto some samsung specific programming.

So does that mean that NONE of the apps will work unless modified to run on CM7? Or are you just talking about certain Samsung issued apps? I'm in the middle of an old Tarzan novel on my e-reader program on the phone...

Last edited:

ab102

Jun 16, 2011
I have a question with the process flash boot.img with heimdall...when i open heimdall front end and put boot.img into the flash local package..i get a error the tar header contained an invalid file size..on the flash tab, it only takes pit files..also when i just use the heimdall ..a black screen happens similar like a command prompt and just exits..

how do i flash the boot.img with heimdall?

This is using fbs instructions that I am using and i am stuck on step 7. flash the latest boot.img from bryans op..

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25197350&postcount=279

hechoen

May 7, 2011
Are you on windows? If so open command promt. Cd into the heimdall suite directory. Put your phone in DL mode and connect to usb. From command type "heimdall detect". Should say device detected. Then just put the boot.img in the same directory and follow the OP.

adobrakic

Aug 7, 2008
Just use FB's install guide instead. I was going to wait until it was installable through CWM, but this is essentially the same thing with a few extra steps.

Top Liked Posts