Guide to fixing a soft brick after editing build.prop

Search This thread

ibanezbass

Jan 29, 2009
Oklahoma City
I've noticed several users having trouble with their phone when editing the build.prop. They will edit the file, reboot, anxious to use Google Wallet, and be greeted with a black screen of death. Their heart will jump in their throat and they think... "Oh no... I didn't nandroid backup... What's a nandroid backup anyway?" No worries! I have the solution for all of you. Hopefully this short guide will get you going again.

I'm going to run through a quick setup of the Android SDK so that you can use adb if you choose to go this route. The SDK will be useful all though rooted phone usage, so I suggest you download it and use it. ADB is a very powerful tool. First, Google Android SDK. The first result should be the official site for the Google developer section. Just open that top link and the page should have a huge button that says "Download the SDK for (Windows or Mac or whatever)". Click it. Mac users.. Yours does not actually setup. You need to find the SDK Manager app within that zipped download and run it. Windows users... Run the setup. When it's done it will open the SDK manager. Both Users... Check the box next to the "Android SDK Platform-tools". Bottom Right, Install x Packages. Make sure you take note of the SDK path displayed at the top of the manager. EG. C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk. Mac users: Yours will be in the downloaded folder that you extracted. All Users: Navigate to that folder via terminal (mac) or cmd.exe (windows). Windows: cd C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk ... Mac: cd /Users/josh/Downloads/android-sdk/ ... Then navigate to the platform-tools folder that is within the SDK folder. Here is where ADB is located.

You also need the naked ADB drivers if you're a Windows user... Here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1379875

Once you reboot your phone into recovery: Open start menu, right click on Computer, click properties. This will open the system panel. Top left, click device manager. Somewhere along there, see if you see your device name (something like "Samsung-SGH_I747") with an exclamation point or question mark. Double click it if it does. Click update driver in the window that opened. Click "Browse My Computer...." "Let me pick..." "All devices / next"... "Browse". Now go find where you downloaded and extracted the naked driver zip. Open the folder and double click on one of the available .ini files. You'll get some compatibility warnings, just continue.

Windows instructions:
Download adb.exe, either through the Android SDK or elsewhere. Use Google.
Connect phone to computer via USB.
Boot phone into recovery.
Use cmd.exe (Use Windows key+R, and type cmd in the run window) to navigate to the folder containing adb.
E.g. "cd c:\Users\Josh\Downloads\adb"
Run "adb shell"
This should initiate a shell to the phone allowing you to run commands on the phone. If you get an error, make sure you have the drivers loaded for your phone.
Run "cd /system"
Run "chmod 644 build.prop"
Optional: Run "ls -l" and make sure that the permissions on build.prop show RW-R--R--.
Reboot phone.

Mac Instructions:
Download the adb application, either through the Android SDK or elsewhere. Use Google. Make sure you download the Mac version, not the Windows or Linux version.
Connect phone to Mac.
Reboot phone into recovery.
Open Terminal on Mac. /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app or use spotlight to find it.
Navigate to folder containing the adb app. E.g. "cd /Users/josh/Downloads/adb/"
Run "adb shell"
This should initiate a shell to the phone allowing you to run commands on the phone.
Run "cd /system"
Optional: Run "ls -l" and make sure that the permissions on build.prop show RW-R--R--.
Reboot phone.

Last edited:

lyrictenor1

Mar 3, 2012
I've noticed several users having trouble with their phone when editing the build.prop. They will edit the file, reboot, anxious to use Google Wallet, and be greeted with a black screen of death. Their heart will jump in their throat and they think... "Oh no... I didn't nandroid backup... What's a nandroid backup anyway?" No worries! I have the solution for all of you. Hopefully this short guide will get you going again.

I'm going to run through a quick setup of the Android SDK so that you can use adb if you choose to go this route. The SDK will be useful all though rooted phone usage, so I suggest you download it and use it. ADB is a very powerful tool. First, Google Android SDK. The first result should be the official site for the Google developer section. Just open that top link and the page should have a huge button that says "Download the SDK for (Windows or Mac or whatever)". Click it. Mac users.. Yours does not actually setup. You need to find the SDK Manager app within that zipped download and run it. Windows users... Run the setup. When it's done it will open the SDK manager. Both Users... Check the box next to the "Android SDK Platform-tools". Bottom Right, Install x Packages. Make sure you take note of the SDK path displayed at the top of the manager. EG. C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk. Mac users: Yours will be in the downloaded folder that you extracted. All Users: Navigate to that folder via terminal (mac) or cmd.exe (windows). Windows: cd C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk ... Mac: cd /Users/josh/Downloads/android-sdk/ ... Then navigate to the platform-tools folder that is within the SDK folder. Here is where ADB is located.

You also need the naked ADB drivers if you're a Windows user... Here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1379875

Once you reboot your phone into recovery: Open start menu, right click on Computer, click properties. This will open the system panel. Top left, click device manager. Somewhere along there, see if you see your device name (something like "Samsung-SGH_I747") with an exclamation point or question mark. Double click it if it does. Click update driver in the window that opened. Click "Browse My Computer...." "Let me pick..." "All devices / next"... "Browse". Now go find where you downloaded and extracted the naked driver zip. Open the folder and double click on one of the available .ini files. You'll get some compatibility warnings, just continue.

Windows instructions:
Use cmd.exe (Use Windows key+R, and type cmd in the run window) to navigate to the folder containing adb.
Run "adb shell"
This should initiate a shell to the phone allowing you to run commands on the phone. If you get an error, make sure you have the drivers loaded for your phone.
Run "cd /system"
Reboot phone.

Mac Instructions:
Download the adb application, either through the Android SDK or elsewhere. Use Google. Make sure you download the Mac version, not the Windows or Linux version.
Connect phone to Mac.
Open Terminal on Mac. /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app or use spotlight to find it.
Run "adb shell"
This should initiate a shell to the phone allowing you to run commands on the phone.
Run "cd /system"
Reboot phone.

I'm having the same issue; I did the above procedures (using a Mac) but every time I type "adb shell", I get this:

"-bash: adb: command not found"

Help, please....

Thanks!

erstad

Dec 15, 2010
Newton, NH
Seems to be only when you use a gnex as build prop.
HTC jewel works great
I had two softbricks worked great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

mknlb50

Aug 22, 2012
This doesn't do anything for me. It still shows rw-rw-rw after running that command in adb. Any other ideas?

It also seems like it doesn't modify any of the files at all. I even tried renaming because i have a build.prop.bak file that i want to use and it doesn't seem to rename it.

[update] I am using the Odin method just to reflash it to the stock rom. I have moved on from this useless method.

Last edited:

ballot

Nov 12, 2011
Hi i just edited the /system/build.prop

for able to play gameloft games

now my tablet cant boot

i use this room : http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1816795

i tried your method
i got this error
>adb shell
error: device not found

what can i do i don't want lose data

i tried to recovery mode and normal booted mode no lucks :confused:

SU-noobe

Mar 10, 2013
Thank You !!!!!!!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You - I was hours away from taking my phone back ... I found my build.prop file with 0 bytes but fortunately I already had a build.prop.bak in there. I'm fairly certain I softbricked my phone by not following the instructions closely on rahpyqui utube Google Wallet process. Thanks SO MUCH!

cleit0n

Apr 28, 2013
unable to chmod build.prop

Help me!!

Error: unable to chmod build.prop: Operation not permitted

dimikon

Jun 29, 2013
IMEI unknown - invalid

I have problem with IMEI ,no sim cards work in lenovo A660.I have done some factory resets and tried all possible solutions referred in xda forums but none worked.DOu think that build.prop could cuz problem to the IMEI somehow? i had to overwrite a build.prop file from a friendly site because i couldnt use 160 characters in sms and they said that this would help.BUt now , no IMEI.Can anyone help?

cobby2004

Aug 11, 2013
Help!!!

How do I boot my Xperia S into Recovery Mode? Do I have to press the power button + VOL UP Button so that the LED gets blue?

Anyways I did it that way, expecting it to be in Recovery Mode, but when I run the adb shell it says "Device not found." Can somebody help?:crying::crying::crying:

I guess its because I didnt install the naked drivers but I cant do it because I wont find my device in the device manager... Why not?

Last edited:

Daveybeer

Jan 29, 2014
permission denied

I am getting this when starting adb shell
- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: Permission denied (13)

is this just a driver issue as I installed the naked driver and rebooted after.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Windows instructions:
    Run "adb shell"
    Run "cd /system"
    Reboot phone.

Mac Instructions:
    Connect phone to Mac.
    Run "adb shell"
    Run "cd /system"
    Reboot phone.
    Thanks, worked like a charm on my SII. And I finally have ADB set up for any future hiccups!
    Well, I finally got INTEL_TRIAL2_TETHERED_CWM_PKGKIT (found on another thread here) to work, and finally managed to produce an update.zip that fixed the permissions of build.prop back to 644 (including my edit). The only problem is that when the tablet (Acer Iconia A1-830) rebooted, it was in Demo Mode. I was able to disable the demo video app, but apparently the only way to actually get out of Demo Mode is a factory reset. Since everything else seems to be working as before, I'm going to wait a while, and do a full backup before I resort to that. In fact, I might just use this opportunity to go hunting for a custom ROM or newer version of the OS, since I'm already out of warranty.
    Well, I finally got INTEL_TRIAL2_TETHERED_CWM_PKGKIT (found on another thread here) to work, and finally managed to produce an update.zip that fixed the permissions of build.prop back to 644 (including my edit). The only problem is that when the tablet (Acer Iconia A1-830) rebooted, it was in Demo Mode. I was able to disable the demo video app, but apparently the only way to actually get out of Demo Mode is a factory reset. Since everything else seems to be working as before, I'm going to wait a while, and do a full backup before I resort to that. In fact, I might just use this opportunity to go hunting for a custom ROM or newer version of the OS, since I'm already out of warranty.

If you find a custom ROM for the A1-830 please let me know. I haven't found one yet on XDA, but I don't expect to considering the locked bootloader on the device. (I did see a link to a site that looked very untrustworthy.)

I once activated demo mode just to see what it was, thinking that there would be an easy way to leave it. I had to do as you are thinking is necessary. I reflashed the stock ROM. There is an image on one of the threads by s-d-c.
    I have my buil.prop file in my sd card... But i have only default recovery in micromax a311 ,cwm or twrp not installed......so pls guide me how to set permissions

Will it boot? I'm guessing no since that is why most people end up here. If it will boot, Root Browser is a good app for setting file permissions.

If it won't boot into the system, there's still a chance you can revive it if you are rooted and it is getting far enough into boot and allows an adb connection. Connect it to a computer and if
    Code:
    adb devices
    returns something then you can try this:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    chmod 644 /system/build.prop

I'm not at all familiar with that phone. I checked out the forum for it and it looks like TWRP is available, but you have to flash it using a toolkit from a rooted rom according to the directions. :( You might get some better advice in the micromax a311 Q&A if there are any device specific tips or tricks.

This sounds promising if you're still soft bricked. Good luck.