I'm Beanstalk 4.4.225. What YOU doin? ;]

Search This thread
Jan 30, 2011
Hopefully this question ain't too broad, cause I'm looking for the least broad answer.

Currently on Beanstalk 4.4.225 on sgh-t959v. My kernel is currently KJ6, for your reference (although I know has nothing to do with what I'm about to ask.) Currently with MetroPCS service.

Was preciously on KJ6 modem/baseband since CM7, through the past time, eventually transitioned to beanstalk. I want to say it was working fine even on Beanstalk 4.4.225, but can't confirm.

I'm assuming Metro switched up their equipment through a refarming process cause I started only getting 2G Edge for the past 2 weeks.

Started messing with different modems, currently on KG4 modem, seems to at least give me back my 4G, decently.

So here's my question to y'all:

In your experience, what has been the best modem to use under 4.4 Kit-Kat for a coverage that's a "4G only works consistently if you're outside but wains as you go in your home/have to stand by the window for it to get it" type of situation? What modem have you seen that best works for that type of coverage?

Suggestions and recommendations greatly accepted with a Thanks. :]

Rebel_X

Aug 13, 2011
Oak Lawn, IL
I had the issue of getting only Edge connection, to solve it, use different APN like T-Mobile US LTE IPv6 ( fast.t-mobile.com ) or T-Mobile US ( epc.tmobile.com ), both they give 3g to me.

To be honest, I rarely got 4g since the days of stock gingerbread. In ICS sometimes I got 'H' that that represents HSDPA/HSPDA+ speed. But not anymore in KK.

The best modem for me is the LB6. Back in when I was using ICS, GPS lock was instant with that modem and has great battery life too.

bkl6

Sep 17, 2012
Beanstalk 4.4.275 - Google Play Store

I have installed Beanstalk 4.4.275 but unable to get Google Play Store to work. I have installed Slim Gapps build 3 but I keep getting Google Play Service not supported on this device. Or there are no Google Play Store icon at all. I have factory reset with twrp and it does not work. I checked the dpi settings and it says unknown. Once I changed to 240 and rebooted, it gets hung up on BeanStalk bootup screen forever.

Any workarounds for this issue?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Rebel_X

Aug 13, 2011
Oak Lawn, IL
I have installed Beanstalk 4.4.275 but unable to get Google Play Store to work. I have installed Slim Gapps build 3 but I keep getting Google Play Service not supported on this device. Or there are no Google Play Store icon at all. I have factory reset with twrp and it does not work. I checked the dpi settings and it says unknown. Once I changed to 240 and rebooted, it gets hung up on BeanStalk bootup screen forever.

Any workarounds for this issue?

Thanks.

Slim gapps doesn't work, and doesn't have google play, useless sh!t. just buncha google apps which you can get from play store. Avoid using it.

A workaround: Start fresh by wiping everything (except SD card of course), flash beanstalk, then flash Gapps Core "~17mb" which you can find in the first page of Beanstalk's thread.

bkl6

Sep 17, 2012
Slim gapps doesn't work, and doesn't have google play, useless sh!t. just buncha google apps which you can get from play store. Avoid using it.

A workaround: Start fresh by wiping everything (except SD card of course), flash beanstalk, then flash Gapps Core "~17mb" which you can find in the first page of Beanstalk's thread.

Looks like the link is dead on the front page. Do you know where else could I find it? I did test with Banks Gapps but that did not work either.

jeffsf

Mar 7, 2011
San Francisco
You might also want to try the Paranoid Android GApps pack of your choosing. They have a bit more than I personally want from Google, but the OmniROM devs seem to think it very reliable.

---
Posted from whatever phone booted today

Reactions: bkl6 and Rebel_X

Rebel_X

Aug 13, 2011
Oak Lawn, IL
Here is a link from my dropbox: Here

The size of Beanstalk rom is kind of large for this poor phone, this package won't make the system partition run out of space while flashing.

Reactions: bkl6

bkl6

Sep 17, 2012
Thanks a lot for the link and quick replies. Google Play is working great now. I can't believe, I spent hours using those other gapps. I did setup 1gb partition and plan to use the mount2sd.

The size of Beanstalk rom is kind of large for this poor phone, this package won't make the system partition run out of space while flashing.

Rebel_X

Aug 13, 2011
Oak Lawn, IL
I never really got mount2sd work properly when changing ROMs.

YMMV, but I am using Link2sd, which I believe is better since you have control over the apps where to be installed, plus you will see notification when linking to sd-ext is happening.

I have 2gb partition, 1gb used for about 150 apps, and internal partition has 190mb free.

If you decided to use link2sd: for best results, set install location to external, also the auto link check box and if you use titanium backup set restoration to original location from the preferences.

Apps that you want to display widgets have to installed in internal whether they are linked or not, so you can move apps to and from sd card and create symbolic links to those apps from link2sd.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda app-developers app

bkl6

Sep 17, 2012
Thanks for the info. I will give it a try and looks like pretty flexible and better control.

YMMV, but I am using Link2sd, which I believe is better since you have control over the apps where to be installed, plus you will see notification when linking to sd-ext is happening.

I have 2gb partition, 1gb used for about 150 apps, and internal partition has 190mb free.

If you decided to use link2sd: for best results, set install location to external, also the auto link check box and if you use titanium backup set restoration to original location from the preferences.

Apps that you want to display widgets have to installed in internal whether they are linked or not, so you can move apps to and from sd card and create symbolic links to those apps from link2sd.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You might also want to try the Paranoid Android GApps pack of your choosing. They have a bit more than I personally want from Google, but the OmniROM devs seem to think it very reliable.

---
    Posted from whatever phone booted today