[APP] Droid2Desk - now with alpha release(s)

Search This thread

BootsSiR

Jun 10, 2010
Halifax, NS
So I've been working on a small project in my spare time with my Nexus One (although is should work with any Android 2.0+ device). Basically it allows you to connect to your phone via WiFi and do a few different things like view/send SMS, view notifications, remotely control the camera and/or transfer files to and from the device. It's a work in progress, I just figured I'd post some screenshots here to see what kind of interest is out there.

An example of a few notifications:
1.jpg

Showing some extra details about the device we are connected to:
2.jpg

SMS view (show's all the current SMS conversations on the device)
3.jpg

and of course, an individual conversation view that allows you to carry on an SMS conversation
4.jpg

Remote camera control. Currently it does stills, but I'm going to work in some video as well. Not sure how much demand there is to turn an Android phone into a WiFi spy camera ;)
5.jpg

That's it for now. Should I keep developing this beast or what? :D

edit:

It also runs on any platform that supports Java. Here it is on a CentOS linux box
centos.jpg

Edit - alpha release post - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8148550&postcount=170

Ok, first off let me stress this fact:

THIS IS ALPHA SOFTWARE!

This is only being released here to get it running on a few different devices and see if it complete implodes or not. There are lots of bugs and lots of things that aren't close to being finished. I just don't want to put in tonnes of development time only to find out it only works on my Nexus One. If you're an Android/computer noob, this probably isn't for you. Also note, a WiFi connection is required for this to work.

There are two pieces to the application

Android Application (Droid2Desk.apk)

This is to be installed on your device and currently you must manually start it to enable Droid2Desk to work. In the future this will most likely be a self starting service. The first thing to do is install the apk, start Droid2Desk, tap to stop the service, set the name of your device and enter a password, then tap to restart the service. Note that when you install the apk it needs a lot of permissions. These are all required for the functionality provided by the application. Currently, if you want to receive notifications on your desktop you must go into Settings, Accessibility and enable the Droid2Desk accessibility service. This allows ALL notifications on your device to be captured by Droid2Desk. This may or may not change in the future.

Desktop Application (Droid2Desk_xxxxxx.zip)

This zip file contains an executable Java JAR file along with some prerequisite files required to run Droid2Desk. It should run on any OS that supports Java. Extract everything in the zip to a folder, maintaining the folder structure. On most systems you can simply double click Droid2Desk.jar and it will launch. If this doesn't work, navigate to a command prompt/terminal and run the application with "java -jar Droid2Desk.jar". Once the application is started, it should find your android device and you will be able to Connect, enter the password you picked above and hit Connect again. At this point, Droid2Desk will connect to your device and sync some information. The first time you do this it may take a minute.

You are now in the main application. If you get a notification on your device, it should show in the Notifications Tab. The Camera tab should allow you to snap a picture (the Droid2Desk application must be in the foreground on your device for now). The SMS tab should show you all your conversations and allow you to continue them. You can't start a new conversation yet! Finally the files tab, should show you a tree with your sdcard contents and you should be able to navigate the directories. You can't download or upload yet.

I think that's enough to get you running. If anything goes really wrong, screen shots and device specs are a must. I'm going to sit on development for a day or so until I see what kind of feedback I get here. As I said previously, I don't want to get too far ahead until I have some idea if this works for others.

You can find the latest build here: http://www.droid2desk.com/builds/

and you can find all related information on the Droid2Desk wiki - http://www.droid2desk.com/wiki/

If you like the project and want to donate to help development, feel free - paypal is subs@reality-check.ca

Current Build:
http://www.droid2desk.com/builds/1.00-R70/

Change Log:
http://www.droid2desk.com/wiki/index.php/Change_Log

Last edited:

adam18488

Apr 24, 2009
London
YES!

This looks excellent. Would love to be able to do all this AND transfer directly to my phone over wifi from my PC!:D

antikryst

May 18, 2010
Quezon City
go for it... if you are also doing a mac version. if its windows only i'd say no... just because i dont have a windows machine anymore :p

khanh1289

Aug 10, 2010
This looks like its gonna be a great app :)

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

michaelo147

Feb 17, 2010
dude this is awesome! keep it....I want to try it out...

if i read this correctly...you can send a text through your phone from your computer correct

Zandog

Jun 14, 2010
Video is an absolute. I use droid cam (wifi video) to watch the babies remotely, use on a laptop with no camera, tour my house and also caught a little sh*thead throwing rocks at my house with it. Wifi streaming video webcam rocks!

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
I have a friend who was just about to start development on a way to send MMS/SMS through his phone, I'm sure he's interested.

I don't text much, but overall this program is pretty cool, particularly if as said, if you can stream video or series of snapshots. :)

Top Liked Posts