CM10 development for Kindle Fire HD 8.9"

Search This thread

JuannTwo3

Mar 12, 2012
I got tired of waiting and im trying to compile, but in the last 2 lines i get

make: *** No rule to make target `vendor/cm/proprietary/Term.apk', needed by `/home/juan/Source/out/target/product/bowser/system/app/Term.apk'. Stop.
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

EDIT: apparently at the beginning it says

juan@S7U:~/Source$ lunch cm_bowser-userdebug
Looking for dependencies
Dependencies file not found, bailing out.

and after mka bacon I also see

device/ti/proprietary-open/Android.mk:199: warning: overriding commands for target `/home/juan/Source/out/target/product/bowser/fake_packages/ti-wpan-fw'
build/core/base_rules.mk:529: warning: ignoring old commands for target `/home/juan/Source/out/target/product/bowser/fake_packages/ti-wpan-fw'
find: `src': No such file or directory

This is my first time building from source honestly, and any help would be welcome. I see that in the out/target/product/bowser/ directory there are various folders made but no zips or recovery images

FroyoShark

Sep 12, 2011
Minnesota
youtube.com
I'm having issues with mka bacon as well. I always get:
build/core/product_config.mk:209: *** No matches for product "full". Stop.

Edit: When I change the device name to "cm_bowser" (which I think is the device name, not sure) I get:
build/core/product_config.mk:199: *** device/*/bowser/cm.mk: PRODUCT_NAME must be a valid C identifier, not "cm_bowser :=". Stop.

Last edited:

slacka-vt

Nov 17, 2009
Southern Vermont
I got tired of waiting and im trying to compile, but in the last 2 lines i get

make: *** No rule to make target `vendor/cm/proprietary/Term.apk', needed by `/home/juan/Source/out/target/product/bowser/system/app/Term.apk'. Stop.
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

EDIT: apparently at the beginning it says

juan@S7U:~/Source$ lunch cm_bowser-userdebug
Looking for dependencies
Dependencies file not found, bailing out.

and after mka bacon I also see

device/ti/proprietary-open/Android.mk:199: warning: overriding commands for target `/home/juan/Source/out/target/product/bowser/fake_packages/ti-wpan-fw'
build/core/base_rules.mk:529: warning: ignoring old commands for target `/home/juan/Source/out/target/product/bowser/fake_packages/ti-wpan-fw'
find: `src': No such file or directory

This is my first time building from source honestly, and any help would be welcome. I see that in the out/target/product/bowser/ directory there are various folders made but no zips or recovery images

I covered this issue back on December 29th, basically the vendor.apk got moved in the repo. I posted the fix in my post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36037084&postcount=54

But, once all is said and done, there's no sound or video, so not much fun unless you're like me and have nothing better to do but spend hours upon hours compiling a ROM with missing features. :)

Reactions: JuannTwo3

JuannTwo3

Mar 12, 2012
I covered this issue back on December 29th, basically the vendor.apk got moved in the repo. I posted the fix in my post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36037084&postcount=54

But, once all is said and done, there's no sound or video, so not much fun unless you're like me and have nothing better to do but spend hours upon hours compiling a ROM with missing features. :)

Thanks! But I dont even mind the bugs honestly. Amazon's bs software just drives me crazy. I decided to just clean up my laptop and re install ubuntu completely. I had such a mess with random stuff I had tinkered with for months. The only part that I hate is downloading source. It takes much too long for my liking :rolleyes:

EDIT: I finally got a build running and its awesome(aside from the bugs). Everything is very snappy, much snappier than stock (especially in the keyboard) . Thanks for the help Slacka!

Last edited:
Reactions: slacka-vt

mtm88001

Sep 24, 2010
Arkansas
Question about backing up kindle 8.9

I am trying to back up my kindle to try the cm10 rom but keep getting the following error.

remote object '/dev/block/mmcblk0p9' not a file or directory

when I run the adb shell su -c "chmod 777 /dev/block/*" command su ask for root privileges and I Grant

adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 command give the remote object error.

Thanks for any help.

slacka-vt

Nov 17, 2009
Southern Vermont
I am trying to back up my kindle to try the cm10 rom but keep getting the following error.

remote object '/dev/block/mmcblk0p9' not a file or directory

when I run the adb shell su -c "chmod 777 /dev/block/*" command su ask for root privileges and I Grant

adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 command give the remote object error.

Thanks for any help.

You need to give the file you're pulling a name. Verygreen omitted this key item in the OP -must have been an oversight. The command is incomplete.
It helps to name them what they are so that you know which ones to flash when you want to restore. For example mmcblk0p9 = recovery.img mmcblk0p10 = boot.img and mmcblk0p11 = system.img

The commands should be:

Code:
adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 recovery.img 
adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0p10 boot.img
adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0p11 system.img

Last edited:

JuannTwo3

Mar 12, 2012
I just wanted to report that HDMI out does work, just in an incorrect orientation. Im enjoying CM10 so far, but I would like to test out Hashcodes 10.1. Patience is dwindling, but CM10 is holding me up

FroyoShark

Sep 12, 2011
Minnesota
youtube.com
I got it to build finally, however after running all of the adb commands (I'm at the first fastboot command) my device is stuck in "Kindle Fire System Recovery". I tried unplugging it and powering it off, but running fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product and plugging the device in will not boot into fastboot mode, just goes back into recovery. ADB does not work either. Anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited:

arda99

Jan 4, 2011
I got it to build finally, however after running all of the adb commands (I'm at the first fastboot command) my device is stuck in "Kindle Fire System Recovery". I tried unplugging it and powering it off, but running fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product and plugging the device in will not boot into fastboot mode, just goes back into recovery. ADB does not work either. Anyone know how to fix this?

what's the version of adb and fastboot? did you try the binaries from amazon sdk?

FroyoShark

Sep 12, 2011
Minnesota
youtube.com
what's the version of adb and fastboot? did you try the binaries from amazon sdk?

For Linux I used the latest adb and fastboot, and for Windows I used the ones with the KFHD System.img Recovery Tool, which worked just fine for me in the past.
Where do I find those binaries?

EDIT: Found the drivers, and installed them with the SDK manager. Still not working.
EDIT 2: Found a zip file with an exe file that also had the drivers, still not working.
EDIT 3: It's showing up as "Jem-PVT-Prod-04" in my Device Manager.
EDIT 4: When I try to install the Amazon drivers for "Jem-PVT-Prod-04", it says the installation was successful, however when I restart my device it shows that there is no driver installed for it.

Last edited:

siruba

Mar 14, 2007
Hong Kong
@Hashcode, would you consider releasing a current snapshot of your work (albeit still a work in progress)?

I am guessing a lot of us (and that include myself) want to start working on the dev and it would be great if we can start with the work that you have already done with great result, and thus we don't have to go through everything that is done again. ;)

Thanks in advance.

mtm88001

Sep 24, 2010
Arkansas
Thanks

You need to give the file you're pulling a name. Verygreen omitted this key item in the OP -must have been an oversight. The command is incomplete.
It helps to name them what they are so that you know which ones to flash when you want to restore. For example mmcblk0p9 = recovery.img mmcblk0p10 = boot.img and mmcblk0p11 = system.img

The commands should be:

Code:
adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 recovery.img 
adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0p10 boot.img
adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0p11 system.img

Thanks

persano

Nov 25, 2012
Buenos Aires
give me a 8.9 build.prop from amazon please, so you can use my tweaks until a good cyanogen mod rom get released and then i will port my tweaks to that rom

timnan

Aug 31, 2008
Below is what Hashcode said 1 hour ago in other thread.

I have CM10.1 booting on the KFHD8.9. I'm re-writing the userspace audio driver from scratch (not done) and the HD codecs/camera functions need tweaks. Working Display, Wifi, BT, Sensors, etc. It's running a 3.0.50 kernel based on TI's latest OMAP4 kernel release. It's fully enhanced with blitsville drivers and brand new PowerVR graphics drivers released only a few days ago.
Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Born2BeMild

Mar 5, 2011
@Hashcode, would you consider releasing a current snapshot of your work (albeit still a work in progress)?

I am guessing a lot of us (and that include myself) want to start working on the dev and it would be great if we can start with the work that you have already done with great result, and thus we don't have to go through everything that is done again. ;)

Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't mind being a beta tester myself.

Sent from my KFJWI

siruba

Mar 14, 2007
Hong Kong
Thanks timnan for pointing it out. I have found the manifest in the same thread.

btw, I sure hope that devs and testers won't be put off by that great IT company pitching there. Fellows are doing great job for the whole scene even with just alpha releases, that's the whole point of GPL.

Last edited:

JuannTwo3

Mar 12, 2012
I've just been monitoring hashcode's github for the past few days. Even though it may seem like he's dropped the project on here, you can see that he is indeed working on the KF8.9 a lot in the past few days. Can't wait for everything to be ironed off and ready to flash!

Reactions: F@@dog

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Development for the KFire HD 8.9 is progressing rather nicely to my point of view. I just haven't released anything yet. :)

I'm working on Android 4.2.1. And the kernel is fully migrated to 3.0.50 (which matches AOSP kernel/common)

Right now I have display running a newer version of the gfx blit system + powervr libs built for jellybean, bluetooth, hw accelleration, and sensors.

I'm currently updating the wifi driver to match AOSP, and then I need to troubleshoot codecs/camera, graphics memory allocation and audio.

Almost every facet of the device is running updated drivers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Hi all!

Without much ado I am presenting you this repo for CM10 that lets you build somewhat functional CM10 ROM for Kindle Fire HD 8.9".
    (Obviously this is not end-user friendly yet. If you don't know how to compile CM10 yourself, you are not a target audience for this yet, sorry. Many things don't work to make it viable main ROM yet anyway)

Build instructions (assuming you met all other CM10 build dependencies).
    Download code:
    Code:
    mkdir android/system
    cd android/system
    curl https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo > ~/repo
    chmod a+x ~/repo
    repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b jellybean
    wget -O .repo/local_manifest.xml https://github.com/verygreen/android_manifests/raw/master/bowser-jb/local_manifest.xml
    repo sync -j16

Build:
    Code:
    . build/envsetup.sh
    lunch cm_bowser-userdebug
    . vendor/cm/get-prebuilts
    mka bacon

In the out/target/product/bowser output dir you'll have two important files generated:
    recovery.img and cm-10-XXXXXXXX-UNOFFICIAL-bowser.zip

For the first install only:
    Step 0; Connect kindle to your computer, have android sdk installed and adb and fastboot in the path.
    Step 1: (very important) Back up raw partitions from kindle responsible for recovery, boot and system.
    (this requires root, though root-less installation is also possible, you will need the backups to return to stock!)
    Code:
    adb shell su -c "chmod 777 /dev/block/*"
    adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0p9
    adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0p10
    adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0p11
    [code]
    Save these block images.
    Step 2: Prepare and run CWM:
    [code]
    rm -f /tmp/stack; for i in $(seq 1024) ; do echo -ne '\x00\x50\x7c\x80' >>/tmp/stack ; done
    adb push /tmp/stack /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/data/local/tmp/stack of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot bs=6519488 seek=1"
    adb shell su -c "chmod 777 /cache"
    adb push /path/to/cm-10-XXXXXXXX-UNOFFICIAL-bowser.zip /cache/
    adb shell su -c "echo 0 > /sys/block/mmcblk0boot0/force_ro"
    adb shell su -c "echo -n 3 | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0boot0 bs=1 count=1 seek=4104"
    fastboot flash recovery /path/to/recovery.img  -i 0x1949
    This last command will stop waiting for the fastboot device to appear. Do not unplug the kindle from USB.
    Now reboot kindle: either power it off and on via it's GUI, or do adb reboot from a different terminal session (do not interrupt fastboot command still waiting!)
    You'll see a "fastboot mode" on the screen and fastboot command started earlier will finally finish after writing the image onto the kindle.
    Reboot kindle again via fastboot:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot -i 0x1949
    This will reboot you into CWM recovery
    Step 3: In CWM recovery, do install from sdcard and install the cm-10...zip file we transferred in the previous step.
    the /data/ settings from stock amazon install are not compatible with CM10, but (very important)Do not reformat /data/ and /cache from CWM, this will result in a corrupted filesystem due to 3.0.21 kernel currently used by amazon not having necessary fs features!!!
    Instead, clean /data via adb while booted to CWM:
    Code:
    adb shell "mount /data"
    adb shell "rm -r /data/*"
    Step 4: Now, installation is complete, you may reboot and it will bring you to your freshly-installed CM10 - enjoy.
    (note by default this CM10 install starts with adb disabled, so you'll need to enable it in settings again).

How to reflash back to stock
    Step 1: Remember where did you put those backups from step 1 during install.
    Step 2:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery /path/to/mmcblk0p9 -i 0x1949
    Now either connect a powered off kindle, or reboot an already connected kindle.
    (note: I don't remember if stock rom is smart enough to wipe /data in this case or if it bootloops, so you might want to do rm -r /data/* before the final reboot)
    once Kindle enters fastboot mode and recovery image is written, write the other two images too:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot /path/to/mmcblk0p10 -i 0x1949
    fastboot flash system /path/to/mmcblk0p11 -i 0x1949 # This one will take a few minutes
    fastboot reboot -i 0x1949
    Now you are back to factory stock.

Not so short video on the install starting from somewhere around step 3 for those who cannot perform the steps, but need to ensure this ROM is not for them yet:

Many things don't work yet:
    - Sound
    - Video playback
    - Sensors (no rotation)
    - Camera
    - BT
    - probably some other stuff I have not noticed yet.

Please do send in your patches/fixes.
    from hashcode@twitter, seems that everything else is good to go now except audio.

https://twitter.com/Hashcode0f/status/291949787551518720

@klescuts soon as I get audio working, ill release cm10.1 for KDHD8.9
    I've decided to release my current 2nd-bootloader setup + CM10.1 ROM even though the audio is not working yet.

You can find all of the information in these 2 threads:

2nd-bootloader install for coming from Amazon stock OS:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128175

CM10.1 ROM for install in custom recovery:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128201

Enjoy and please read through the OP's before starting the installs.
    Not to be a bother, but has any more progress been made? I realize that these sorts of things take time, but even the slightest news of progress would be nice.

Process is being made. Trust me, it'll be worth the wait.

If you are a Kindle Fire 2 owner, don't think we forgot about you!