FTF back up for Z1

Search This thread

zimbashka

Jun 19, 2010
Toronto
Here is my guide for FTF back up using Flashtool version 0.9.13.0 for new guys.
This could be used with all Xperia phones running android.
I have used this method starting with Xperia X10a, Xperia S and now Xperia Z1.

1) You have to use Sony Update Service or PC Companion to repair/reinstall your software. You will loose all your data!!! So make a back up of your content.
2) After that done go to C:\Program Files\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs
and you will see 4 files with name starting FILE_###########, where # - is number that can be anything.
Make sure that they have similar date and time creation. If you had used SUS before,just delete folder db to make sure there no other files from previous updates, because it will screw your phone up.
3) Copy those 4 files to a folder you name anything you like somewhere on desktop for easy locating it later on.
4) Then go on and install latest Flashtool.
5) Once it is intalled, just open Flashtool, navigate to Tools tab, select SEUS decrypt. Now for source folder navigate to those 4 files you have previously copied. Four files should appear on left side, highlight them and press "->" , Now those 4 files should move to right side. To complete this step press Convert.
6) In status window you can see what is happening. It can take some time depending on your PC.
7) New window will pop up once decrypting is done.
8) This step will create FTF bundle. Fill up information on Device, Branding, and Version.
9) Move all files from left box to the right (highlight and press ->) and then press Create.You can take a 5 min break.
10) After Flashtool finished bundle creation go to C:\Flashtool\firmwares to locate FTF back up you have made.

Hope that helps!

If you have any further questions just ask, I will do my best to answer it.

Last edited:

zimbashka

Jun 19, 2010
Toronto
This is good, so in this way I will be able to extract from my phone the entire system? A backup of my Z1?

It doesn't extract system files from phone.
It uses official Sony update service files that would be legit to customization that you have on your phone; so that if anything happens you can revert to it. ;)
If you use this method your phone will be wiped clean.
I posted this instruction because I seen few members asking for instruction on forum.
Just sharing....

Last edited:
Reactions: eclyptos

AndroPlus

Mar 13, 2013
Kyoto
androplus.org
Lenovo P11
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
I think you can use PC Companion instead of SUS.
I can't check now, but when I created ftf myself all needed files were in
C:\ProgramData\Sony Ericsson\Update Engine\db\(numbers)\blob_fs
after PC Companion says reboot your phone.
After coping files to other folder, you can close PC Companion;)
My data wasn't deleted since I didn't need to reinstall software.

eranda84

Account currently disabled
Dec 4, 2011
Usa
There's more files than 4.... And file name start from ICON_##########. Couldn't find FILE_########
please help me on this.

zimbashka

Jun 19, 2010
Toronto
I think you can use PC Companion instead of SUS.
I can't check now, but when I created ftf myself all needed files were in
C:\ProgramData\Sony Ericsson\Update Engine\db\(numbers)\blob_fs
after PC Companion says reboot your phone.
After coping files to other folder, you can close PC Companion;)
My data wasn't deleted since I didn't need to reinstall software.

Yes you can use both SUS and PC Companion.

zimbashka

Jun 19, 2010
Toronto
There's more files than 4.... And file name start from ICON_##########. Couldn't find FILE_########
please help me on this.

Arrange files by size FILE_############## should come up first, since its size larger then any of ICON_##############.
Before you perform update make sure you delete contents of db folder.
This will eliminate possibility to pick wrong ones.

eranda84

Account currently disabled
Dec 4, 2011
Usa
Arrange files by size FILE_############## should come up first, since its size larger then any of ICON_##############.
Before you perform update make sure you delete contents of db folder.
This will eliminate possibility to pick wrong ones.

no file name FILE_########. all are ICON_########

zimbashka

Jun 19, 2010
Toronto

Have you reinstalled software on your phone using SUS or PC companion?
FILE_########### would not be there until it is downloaded to your computer and your phone updates/reinstalls software.
If you disconnect phone before it starts updating, there a chance that those FILE_########## would get corrupted or not completely downloaded. If you try to use corrupted FILE_########## then you will screw up your phone (soft brick) when trying to use it as back up.

Keep in mind that repair/reinstalling software will factory reset your phone and you will lose everything stored on internal memory (SD card will be as it was).

livelyyoungman

Jan 25, 2014
Chennai

It should be in there. Either it has got/been deleted or the updates have not been downloaded at all.

Have you reinstalled software on your phone using SUS or PC companion?
FILE_########### would not be there until it is downloaded to your computer and your phone updates/reinstalls software.
If you disconnect phone before it starts updating, there a chance that those FILE_########## would get corrupted or not completely downloaded. If you try to use corrupted FILE_########## then you will screw up your phone (soft brick) when trying to use it as back up.

Keep in mind that repair/reinstalling software will factory reset your phone and you will lose everything stored on internal memory (SD card will be as it was).

The encrypted files will not be deleted till they are downloaded completely provided you have not closed the PC Companion software. If you close that software then the update starts getting downloaded from the begening. Also, PC companion saves the data in the blob_fs folder on a continous basis.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is good, so in this way I will be able to extract from my phone the entire system? A backup of my Z1?

It doesn't extract system files from phone.
    It uses official Sony update service files that would be legit to customization that you have on your phone; so that if anything happens you can revert to it. ;)
    If you use this method your phone will be wiped clean.
    I posted this instruction because I seen few members asking for instruction on forum.
    Just sharing....