[Q] USB port failure?

Search This thread

SSJ2Red

Dec 18, 2012
Hello. This is my first post here, but I've been lurking ever since I got my One X in August 2012. Anyways, on to the issue.

Ever since April, my phone has been failing to charge properly. The red light that shows up when ever the phone is charging would constantly turn on and off. At first I thought the rom I was running was the problem, so I switched roms about three times but the problem persisted. Then, I thought the issue was the cable, so I ordered a new one from Amazon. I was getting mixed results with the new charger until recently, as the red light still turned on and off repeatedly (not as much as it was with the last charger though). Now it has gotten worse and I am experiencing the same issues I had with the previous cable. Additionally, the issue occurs when I try to connect my phone to my computer. The "usb debugging" message repeatedly pops up, the notification light turns on and off, and HTC Sync Manager says that a phone isn't connected. This made me wonder if the issue is actually with the usb/charging port on the phone. I've tried cleaning the port, but that didn't really work. What does work is plugging the charger in the phone in a certain position, but that is somewhat shaky...I've woken up to see the red light blinking on and off again nearly every morning this week.

Is my phone's usb port actually dying? What exactly are my options here? My contract with at&t doesn't expire until August, and I don't think my parents will be thrilled to hear that this phone is having issues (this is my second one, the first had sim card issues). Would at&t be willing to accept me returning this phone? If the usb port is actually the issue, I think that would fall under "wear and tear", which isn't covered by their warranty (I think our's has run out anyway) last I checked.

Here is my phone's information:

RELOCKED
evita pvt ship s-off rl
hboot 2.18.0000
radio 1.35a.32.45.27
opendsp-v33.1.0.45.1128
eMC-boot
Dec 3 2013, 17:10:01:-1
STOCK rom

Sorry if this issue has been addressed, but I don't think it has. Didn't really see many threads covering the issue in this forum, and the few that did didn't really provide a clear solution.

Last edited:

marknoll

May 13, 2014
Sounds to me like your USB port is failing. And/or there could be a hardware issue inside your device. The cable or transistor from your motherboard to battery is either loose or failing. I would contact HTC and tell them your issue.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk