[ROM] Stock 9.4.2.15 for Unlocked Bootloaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jermaine151

Jun 19, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
After some hours of learning the Asus blob system, I have finally got the latest OTA packaged properly.

Thanks to the Virtuous Team for their updater-script that I started with.

If you download this, please click "thanks" for the chances I took on bricking my device to make this for us.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage caused to your device due to flashing this.

That said, I am writing this post on my prime which is running this firmware and working well.

screenshot2012022612090.jpg

This ROM is completely stock 9.4.2.15 except for:

• Rooted
  • Insecure Boot.img (Allows the system to be mounted writable)
  • ADB debugging enabled (Allows running logcat if needed)

Instructions

• Make sure your Prime is unlocked and you have CWM installed (see this thread for help and a handy tool to do that)
  • Shut down the prime
  • Hold both the Power-button and the Volume-down button until the splash screen appears and some white text in the left top corner is visible
  • Release both buttons and press the Volume-up button
  • The device now boots into your CWM recovery
  • Make a backup of your current ROM
  • Inside CWM select "wipe data/factory reset" (Optional but highly recommended)
  • Then flash the rom zip as usual
  • Then flash the Accounts & Sync fix zip as usual

Download

9.4.2.15 Full Rom
MD5: e1af5c2386fcf972b238a94fac291cad

Last edited:

iconoclastnet

Apr 22, 2010
First of all, thank you for packaging this for the rest of us!

I am curious about one thing.

Make sure to do the "wipe data/factory reset" step!

I realize that "wipe data" has become the catch-all cure for custom rom issues, but why is this a required step for what's essentially a stock rom when the locked bootloader version doesn't need to wipe data?
I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering why this is a required step (instead of an "if you have problems try wiping data" step)?

jermaine151

Jun 19, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
First of all, thank you for packaging this for the rest of us!

I am curious about one thing.

I realize that "wipe data" has become the catch-all cure for custom rom issues, but why is this a required step for what's essentially a stock rom when the locked bootloader version doesn't need to wipe data?
I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering why this is a required step (instead of an "if you have problems try wiping data" step)?

I say that to limit issues. You can try it without wiping and then wipe if you have problems. I flashed it over 11.1 and it worked but it seems to run better when installed fresh so I'm re-setting up my apps.

Reactions: iconoclastnet

jermaine151

Jun 19, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Certainly an easy way to update the kernel, but based on the ways the Prime seems to manage to get bricked even after the user follows instructions to a T I am worried that including the kernel may cause you and the users a big headache if things go awry.

I've tested it a couple of times on mine. I removed the recovery and bootloader blobs from it so it just basically puts the boot.img in the staging partition and installs it on reboot just like CWM or any other blob. I doubt that anyone could brick with this since it's only touching the boot partition.

Diamondback

Retired Dev Committee Lead / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 17, 2010
virtuous-ten-studio.com
Ah, that is an excellent idea :)
Calling dd via busybox should work :)
It just seems the in-built CWM functions for flashing stuff doesn't work at all for the kernel blob.
Thanks, once confirmed, I'll add it to my ROM too :)

jermaine151

Jun 19, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Ah, that is an excellent idea :)
Calling dd via busybox should work :)
It just seems the in-built CWM functions for flashing stuff doesn't work at all for the kernel blob.
Thanks, once confirmed, I'll add it to my ROM too :)

Thanks! Yeah, I had a hard time trying the old methods to flash the kernel. This method seems to work well. I'm anxious for feedback from people that have installed it.

Reactions: cyiam40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After some hours of learning the Asus blob system, I have finally got the latest OTA packaged properly.

Thanks to the Virtuous Team for their updater-script that I started with.

If you download this, please click "thanks" for the chances I took on bricking my device to make this for us.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage caused to your device due to flashing this.

That said, I am writing this post on my prime which is running this firmware and working well.

screenshot2012022612090.jpg

This ROM is completely stock 9.4.2.15 except for:

• Rooted
    • Insecure Boot.img (Allows the system to be mounted writable)
    • ADB debugging enabled (Allows running logcat if needed)

Instructions

• Make sure your Prime is unlocked and you have CWM installed (see this thread for help and a handy tool to do that)
    • Shut down the prime
    • Hold both the Power-button and the Volume-down button until the splash screen appears and some white text in the left top corner is visible
    • Release both buttons and press the Volume-up button
    • The device now boots into your CWM recovery
    • Make a backup of your current ROM
    • Inside CWM select "wipe data/factory reset" (Optional but highly recommended)
    • Then flash the rom zip as usual
    • Then flash the Accounts & Sync fix zip as usual

Download

9.4.2.15 Full Rom
    MD5: e1af5c2386fcf972b238a94fac291cad
    Hey,
    once we got some successful kernel flash reports, do you mind if I take a look at your updater-script for the kernel thing?

No, I don't mind at all.
    I have some bugs to work out before I post it, but.... this is what I'm working on:

screenshot2012022719050.png

:)
    Reserved for me...
    If it is real stock Asus go Settings>Asus parameters and you'll see screenshot option. It seems Asus has removed standard ICS screenshot (Vol Down + Power)

On my stock rom (which I borked) I would just hold down the recent apps button.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium