[ROOT][COMPLETE GUIDE]How To Root HTC Droid DNA

Search This thread

treadwayj

Nov 7, 2009
Pike Road
I've never had an HTC device before but does using the HTC bootloader unlock is that making it s-off? Also I don't see the DROID dna on the list

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

i think we all wished the unlocker did that, but alas it unlocks fastboot commands and allows you to be able to flash roms from the phone and push kernels via fastboot.

that list is mainly for phones that came out before sept 2011 i beleive, in theory all phones after that date are supported and you would just use the other supported phone option

musclehead84

Nov 3, 2010
Falling Waters, WV
So if using the HTC dev tool let's u flash a custom recovery and roms and let's u fastboot flash kernels what is the benefit of achieving s off then?

Last edited:

Argumentation

Feb 21, 2012
Washinton, DC
So if using the HTC dev tool let's u flash a custom recovery and roms and let's u fastboot flash kernels what is the benefit of achieving s off then?

In the case of this phone, it allows you to write to /system outside of recovery, and it allows you to flash radios and kernels in recovery. :good:

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda app-developers app

Reactions: musclehead84

con247

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
I guarantee they will block HTCDev.com before release. They did the same thing with the Inc4G, AT&T Hox, and Rezound. The Rezound they allowed after a few months, but they didn't with the HOX/Inc

nitsuj17

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2010
PA
I guarantee they will block HTCDev.com before release. They did the same thing with the Inc4G, AT&T Hox, and Rezound. The Rezound they allowed after a few months, but they didn't with the HOX/Inc

Well they blocked it after 2 weeks with inc 4g not prior to release

Both are unofficially unlocked now at least though

JustusIV

Jan 11, 2008
Will unlocking the device like this break the android DRM stuff?
For example i unlocked my bootloader on my asus tf300 and things like hulu broke even running stock rom.

hootan_13

Jun 3, 2008
tehran
Normally it does work that way. And I was very disappointed that it did not on this phone, as I made the kernel just for that reason.

I think there was an error in the coding where it tells unlock which partitions to remove write protection from. That, or they just wanna make our lives hard for some reason.

Either way, you cannot write to /system while the phone is booted normally without S-Off. Even as root.

D

after ro0ted my droid dna can i use all simcard or i must use verizon simcaed ?!!

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

after ro0ted my droid dna can i use all simcard or i must use verizon simcaed

dsb9938

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 17, 2010
Edison, NJ
Care to elaborate? I am looking into buying this phone and I am sure everyone else wants to know as well. Thanks.

I cannot promise anything. Let's be clear on that.

But I am 90% sure we will have an unlock method tomorrow after I get my retail device. It will not be my work, but I will be testing it and posting the results.

Even if we do not get unlock, I am sure we will at the very least find a temp root, which is all that is required for S-Off testing to continue.

Basically, they may have slowed us down, but they have not stopped us yet.

D

azndan2

Apr 24, 2010
Los Altos

But I am 90% sure we will have an unlock method tomorrow after I get my retail device. It will not be my work, but I will be testing it and posting the results.

Even if we do not get unlock, I am sure we will at the very least find a temp root, which is all that is required for S-Off testing to continue.

D

Thanks for clarifying. I am glad to see you in this forum. I know that you've been an asset to our community since at least the thunderbolt days.

HQRaja

Retired News Writer
Jan 27, 2008
Islamabad
hqraja.com

D

Wish you all the best with that, and hoping to see you come up with full S-OFF ASAP. =)

nev310

Jun 30, 2008
Memphis, TN
It's sad to hear how Verizon is slowing down development on this phone but this is the first phone I might not root. I am really interested in using Google wallet and on my nexus 7 in could not use it if I was rooted. I really hope that updates come faster on this phone which will be another reason not to need root or Roms.

The only thing i would like to have root for is to delete apps I won't use.

I pre-ordered but they still have not charged me yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a complete guide for anyone interested in rooting the HTC Droid DNA. The insecure boot image, TWRP recovery, CWM recovery and SuperSU files used in this guide are not my own developments, and their developers have been credited in the end of this post.
    I am only writing this as a newbie-friendly guide for everyone, and am providing my own SuperSU, su and busybox installer zip file that includes everything you need for full root.

1. Unlock the bootloader of your device by visiting the HTC bootloader unlock page. Warning: This will wipe your data.
      UPDATE: Thanks to Verizon, the official bootloader unlocking method mentioned above no longer works. Please refer to this method for unlocking the bootloader.
    2. Download ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery for the device and rename it to recovery.img (or keep the existing name and change recovery.img in the command below to that name).
    3. Download the SuperSU and busybox package and put it on your SD card.
    4. Put your phone into bootloader mode and connect it to your PC via USB.
    5. On your computer, make sure you are in the folder where you downloaded the recovery file and use this command to flash the recovery:
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    6. Finally, reboot your device into recovery, flash the SuperSU and busybox package and reboot your device.

You should now have root access.

Credits:

jcase for unlocking the bootloader after Verizon decided to lock it.
    dsb9938 for sharing the CWM port and correcting me regarding my previously posted and now removed second method involving his insecure boot image
    Dees_Troy for TWRP recovery.
    utkanos for CWM port.
    Chainfire for developing SuperSU

I have tried to credit everyone involved but if I have missed out on anyone, please do let me know.
    Care to elaborate? I am looking into buying this phone and I am sure everyone else wants to know as well. Thanks.

D

If you guys want the origional SuperSU/Busybox package mentioned in the post, then Click Here, and I've uploaded my saved copy of it to my DropBox.

As for CWM (ClockworkMod) Click Here, and you should see a long list of many devices, find "HTC Droid DNA", and you can download the Recovery or the Touch Recovery (Far Right Columns)
    Thanks for your response. =)

Based on my understanding (and my experience with Nexus devices), once you boot using an insecure boot image, you have full root access in ADB since it is running adbd as root on the device. You can then successfully write to the /system partition and the changes persist after reboot. While I can confirm that the above will work on any Nexus device as well as any similar device with an unlocked bootloader and fastboot access, I am not 100% sure if that's how it works on HTC devices that have the S-ON flag. Are you referring to S-ON devices in particular here?

Normally it does work that way. And I was very disappointed that it did not on this phone, as I made the kernel just for that reason.

I think there was an error in the coding where it tells unlock which partitions to remove write protection from. That, or they just wanna make our lives hard for some reason.

Either way, you cannot write to /system while the phone is booted normally without S-Off. Even as root.

D

I'm wondering if the supersu problems would be rectified using DSB's system writeable kernel.

yes, that is the exact problem. the package that is supplied does work but I, along with some others, have had problems with superSU and it prompting to update the binaries. so, I assumed there was a problem with root and that I had done something wrong, when in fact without a modified kernel you cannot write to system with our phone, thus creating the errors and reboots when trying to update the binaries. so to fix the problem you can flash the zip below.

flash this (will update binaries and install the compatible superuser app instead): http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn.com/superuser/Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip

this worked like a charm, no errors, and should also delete the original superSU app that was installed, but if for some reason it does not, delete it manually. this will allow basic root privileges. the problem is that system is unwriteable without flashing either dsb's cubed or modified stock kernels (which allow you to then write to system). once you have root I definitely recommend flashing one of these kernels so that you have full root privileges without any possible errors.

hope that clears some things up because I for one am new to htc and had no idea why my changes would not stick in system. i immediately assumed the problem was a faulty root on my part.

a huge thank you to all involved with the work that has been done thus far!! happy holidays all!!!