How to Root stock SPH-L710 4.3

Search This thread

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
Modified Guide for easier rooting/rom installing steps:

THIS IS FOR THE STOCK SPRINT L710 4.3 OTA SYSTEM
*has been confirmed this works on the Virgin Mobile S3 L710 and the C Spire SCH-L710 running 4.3 OTA*

(if needed, samsung drivers can be found here)
Rooting files:
1st download the all in 1 root folder I put together----> S3 Root Bundle

extract the folder to your desktop (or wherever else you'd like for easy access)

Setting up your phone for rooting:
go to your phones: settings menu>more>about device...scroll down to "Build number" and tap on it several times, you will see a countdown begin that will make you a "developer"...this is necessary to engage the usb debugger mode. once it says "you're now a developer", simply press the back key and you'll see "developer options" now below "date and time".

click on it, enable usb debugging, once done, connect your phone to your computer via usb cord. once it's connected, open the extracted folder you downloaded and copy/paste the 2 following zip files to your SDCard...DO NOT EXTRACT THESE 2 FILES!!

DE-SAMSUNGNIZER_KNOX_REMOVAL_SCRIPT_V1.0 and UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93

Flashing Custom Recovery:
once copied over, power off your phone, I usually pull the battery...once powered off, go into to download mode by holding the volume down/home and power keys. you'll see a yellow triangle screen, press volume up to proceed and leave as is! now connect the phone back to the computer and now go back to the extracted folder and run Odin 3.07

once Odin is up, it should recognize the phone by showing it's connected to COM3 (or com whatever number it reads)
now "uncheck" the auto reset option and leave "reset time" checked
now check the box PDA and then load the PDA file from the root folder named: philz_touch_6.00.8-d2spr.tar.md5
now press start...once it's finished, disconnect the phone from the computer and pull the battery

Rooting:
restart the phone by holding: volume up/home and power buttons and you'll now be in the custom recovery menu, red in color.

using touch or the volume buttons to scroll and power button to select, go to: install zip>choose zip from /storage/sdcard1>DE-SAMSUNGNIZER_KNOX_REMOVAL_SCRIPT_V1.0>Yes-install

once that's done you're going to do the same steps by going back and this time installing UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93>yes-install...once done, reboot your phone.

once rebooted, go to the app "supersu" and then open it, choose to update SU binary "normal" and then reboot the phone 1 last time...you are now rooted!! go install rooted apps and enjoy!!

*any supersu issues during su binary update, verify via playstore that supersu is up to date*

SuperSu play store link

Custom Roms:
-the 1st 2 listed Roms are official/stable releases based on the 4.3.1 stock rom

Always perform a nandroid backup before flashing any rom files via recovery menu: backup/restore>backup to sdcard1

Cyanogenmod CM10.2 (4.3.1): video tutorial compliments of WoodenDiamond71
-you can bypass the steps in the video of editing the cm10 zip file using notepad ++ because I made/tested the zip file based on his steps and uploaded it along with the gapps zip file needed as well...follow the backing up your phone steps and then transferring the files to your phone and on
-download the needed zip files HERE

follow the video tutorial: WoodenDiamond71's video guide

Slimbean 4.3.1:
download the bundle here
-once extracted, transfer the 2 files: Slim_AIO_gapps.4.3.build.2 and Slim-d2spr-4.3.build.2.2-OFFICIAL-1742 to your sdcard

once transferred, boot into recovery via: power down, hold the volume up, home, and power button all at the same time until you have seen the blue text on the upper left of the screen

Philz recovery has an option called "CLEAN TO INSTALL A NEW ROM" under -wipe data/factory reset
-run this option and say "yes" to installing a new rom
-once wiped, go back and choose install zip>install zip from sdcard1 and flash the 2 transferred files beginning with Slim-d2spr-4.3 1st, then gapps

once reboot has finished and you signed into your accounts to initialize your phone, go to: settings>about device>build number-tap on it until you're a developer to get "developer options" and enable "android debugging". now you're ready to begin installing rooted apps, this rom will run Supersu off the playstore which I highly recommend doing before installing rooted apps.
-download Supersu, open it, update the su binary via normal, reboot once done and begin using rooted apps

Cyanogenmod CM11 (KitKat 4.4.2)-credit goes to WoodenDiamond71 (installation video)

-download the bundled folder here latest release updated in bundle 2/3/14
-once downloaded, extract it
-plug your phone into your computer and transfer the zipped CM11 nightly rom and the zipped Gapps to your sdcard

-this Rom is constantly being updated, so keep up to date by frequently checking HERE and downloading/installing the latest release (to update, simply download the latest zip file by DATE, transfer it over to your sd card and install it via Recovery menu, your phone will be as you left it, settings and all)

video available or follow written steps below link:
CM11 Installation Video Tutorial

-once transferred, boot into recovery via: power down, hold the volume up, home, and power button all at the same time until you have seen the blue text on the upper left of the screen

Philz recovery has an option called "CLEAN TO INSTALL A NEW ROM" under -wipe data/factory reset

once wiped, navigate to INSTALL ZIP, CHOOSE ZIP FROM /STORAGE/SDCARD1 and locate the CM11 zip 1st and flash it
once flashed, locate the gapps zip and flash it, once you have completed all the tasks reboot your phone

once reboot has finished and you signed into your accounts to initialize your phone, go to: settings>about device>build number-tap on it until you're a developer to get "developer options" and enable "android debugging". now you're ready to begin installing rooted apps, this rom uses superuser, to install/use supersu instead:

-download supersu from play store, once downloaded open it and update the su binary via normal, do not reboot yet!! go to supersu settings: under security "enable" su during boot, now reboot and supersu will be used for rooted apps instead of superuser

Last edited:

Ahafner

Mar 15, 2012
Worked like a charm, thanks for the guide. Only thing that I couldnt get to work was updating the supersu app in the play store, would it be possible to uninstall then reinstall to get the latest version or should I just leave well enough alone?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
thanks for the feedback...yes this does uninstall the knox, you're actually doing that as 1st part of the recovery menu process. as far as installing other roms, i just tweak my stock rom myself a bit and run a few rooted apps so i don't know if you can do the other roms.

also for the supersu issue, i've always had to update the app in the store the update the su binary and reboot, so yeah you can try installing it again via recovery menu and/or uninstall it manually and reinstall it with through the playstore and then attempt the su binary update, reboot and run a few rooted apps to check it...but i've never had the not updating issue, oh but i always did search for it in the playstore manually and not going to "my apps"

Reactions: Scarletspydr

chaz411

Oct 20, 2013
Will this method work for rooting the virgin mobile galaxy s3 L710?

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado

Actually YES on the Virgin Mobile question. And as far as Knox bootloader, that cannot be removed, ever. What is being removed/disabled are the associated apps that go with Knox.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

thanks for the feedback...yes this does uninstall the knox, you're actually doing that as 1st part of the recovery menu process. as far as installing other roms, i just tweak my stock rom myself a bit and run a few rooted apps so i don't know if you can do the other roms.

also for the supersu issue, i've always had to update the app in the store the update the su binary and reboot, so yeah you can try installing it again via recovery menu and/or uninstall it manually and reinstall it with through the playstore and then attempt the su binary update, reboot and run a few rooted apps to check it...but i've never had the not updating issue, oh but i always did search for it in the playstore manually and not going to "my apps"

Just FYI, version 1.65 is now several versions ago, most recent is 1.86 as of this writing, Chainfire has a thread here on XDA with links to a flashable zip for the newest version.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Will this method work for rooting the virgin mobile galaxy s3 L710?

If you want to get better, Virgin Mobile-specific answers, go to Android Forums, there is a subforum dedicated to the rooted VM SGS3:

http://androidforums.com/virgin-mobile-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/

Last edited:

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
meant no harm by the NO but yeah as from what I've always seen it was for the sprint only. so if it in fact works, let me know and I'll add it in the initial part of the guide, along with the link posted for the update I gotta look at

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
Actually YES on the Virgin Mobile question. And as far as Knox bootloader, that cannot be removed, ever. What is being removed/disabled are the associated apps that go with Knox.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Just FYI, version 1.65 is now several versions ago, most recent is 1.86 as of this writing, Chainfire has a thread here on XDA with links to a flashable zip for the newest version.

thanks, i checked it out and updated the zip file in the download link i posted...he still even said that the playstore updating method is the best route

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado

thanks, i checked it out and updated the zip file in the download link i posted...he still even said that the playstore updating method is the best route

Both methods should work. I find it is also good practice to save each download of the SuperSU .zip as they are released, just in case. His versions from 1.80 on are designed with Knox in mind, by the way, so I usually recommend that one as a good starting point if you go the route of letting Play Store do the update for you.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

meant no harm by the NO but yeah as from what I've always seen it was for the sprint only. so if it in fact works, let me know and I'll add it in the initial part of the guide, along with the link posted for the update I gotta look at

Method you posted is the exact same as what VM and Boost do to root. Only point of clarification is that the step for disabling the Knox apps is only necessary for any user who accepted the OTA to 4.3; anyone coming from 4.1.2 would not need that step, in case one of those users sees this thread and method. Otherwise good job, I always prefer more hands-on rooting methods like this as opposed to one-click type options.

Mave025

Jan 5, 2014
I just ordered an S3 refurb. I'm coming from IOS, and I've got a couple of questions.

If I do an OTA update is the latest version 4.3? Also coming from IOS there were just simple one click apps to jailbreak. It seems rooting on Android is more complicated. Is there no just simple double click rooting app?

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
yes the latest is 4.3 and it really isn't that hard to do, the 1 click methods haven't really worked out for anyone but these methods always work best

Last edited:
Reactions: Mave025

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
Both methods should work. I find it is also good practice to save each download of the SuperSU .zip as they are released, just in case. His versions from 1.80 on are designed with Knox in mind, by the way, so I usually recommend that one as a good starting point if you go the route of letting Play Store do the update for you.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Method you posted is the exact same as what VM and Boost do to root. Only point of clarification is that the step for disabling the Knox apps is only necessary for any user who accepted the OTA to 4.3; anyone coming from 4.1.2 would not need that step, in case one of those users sees this thread and method. Otherwise good job, I always prefer more hands-on rooting methods like this as opposed to one-click type options.

thanks for that. well I just updated my guide a bit, but it is clearly stated for the users that this is for 4.3 OTA only so I'm gonna leave it as is but if anyone does ask that, now I know. I always preferred these methods as well, but when I finally updated to 4.3 from my rooted 4.1.2, I had to use like 3 different sites to collect the working files, mainly the custom recovery. also a lot missing steps like the debugging method, some custom recoveries I even used from guides wanted a password and couldn't find the files to install. once I found all the files that worked, took me 2 mins to do lol so I shared the ease......

Last edited:
Reactions: Mave025

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
thanks for that. well I just updated my guide a bit, but it is clearly stated for the users that this is for 4.3 OTA only so I'm gonna leave it as is but if anyone does ask that, now I know. I always preferred these methods as well, but when I finally updated to 4.3 from my rooted 4.1.2, I had to use like 3 different sites to collect the working files, mainly the custom recovery. also a lot missing steps like the debugging method, some custom recoveries I even used from guides wanted a password and couldn't find the files to install. once I found all the files that worked, took me 2 mins to do lol so I shared the ease......

Again, good job! I share your pain in trying to research all this kind of stuff and having to sort through a bunch of half-truths and misinformation. Definitely nice to have access to all necessary files from one OP, really hope this gets stickied so all can see what a simple solution you have posted!

Reactions: goku2778

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
about to do 1 more update, I just discovered a "kinda" 1 click method using simply the recovery menu

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
I just ordered an S3 refurb. I'm coming from IOS, and I've got a couple of questions.

If I do an OTA update is the latest version 4.3? Also coming from IOS there were just simple one click apps to jailbreak. It seems rooting on Android is more complicated. Is there no just simple double click rooting app?

i just added a way of basically doing this, but again this isn't hard, takes literally a few mins if you've rooted droids before

chaz411

Oct 20, 2013
Awesome. Thank you guys for all of your feed back and input. I just wanted to do a double check because Sprint modle number is sph-l710 and virgin mobile modle number is exactly the same "sph-l710". I'm about to use this method I'll post back to verify so the op next time will have a different response to the question next time other just straight up "NO".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Modified Guide for easier rooting/rom installing steps:

THIS IS FOR THE STOCK SPRINT L710 4.3 OTA SYSTEM
    *has been confirmed this works on the Virgin Mobile S3 L710 and the C Spire SCH-L710 running 4.3 OTA*

(if needed, samsung drivers can be found here)
    Rooting files:
    1st download the all in 1 root folder I put together----> S3 Root Bundle

extract the folder to your desktop (or wherever else you'd like for easy access)

Setting up your phone for rooting:
    go to your phones: settings menu>more>about device...scroll down to "Build number" and tap on it several times, you will see a countdown begin that will make you a "developer"...this is necessary to engage the usb debugger mode. once it says "you're now a developer", simply press the back key and you'll see "developer options" now below "date and time".

click on it, enable usb debugging, once done, connect your phone to your computer via usb cord. once it's connected, open the extracted folder you downloaded and copy/paste the 2 following zip files to your SDCard...DO NOT EXTRACT THESE 2 FILES!!

DE-SAMSUNGNIZER_KNOX_REMOVAL_SCRIPT_V1.0 and UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93

Flashing Custom Recovery:
    once copied over, power off your phone, I usually pull the battery...once powered off, go into to download mode by holding the volume down/home and power keys. you'll see a yellow triangle screen, press volume up to proceed and leave as is! now connect the phone back to the computer and now go back to the extracted folder and run Odin 3.07

once Odin is up, it should recognize the phone by showing it's connected to COM3 (or com whatever number it reads)
    now "uncheck" the auto reset option and leave "reset time" checked
    now check the box PDA and then load the PDA file from the root folder named: philz_touch_6.00.8-d2spr.tar.md5
    now press start...once it's finished, disconnect the phone from the computer and pull the battery

Rooting:
    restart the phone by holding: volume up/home and power buttons and you'll now be in the custom recovery menu, red in color.

using touch or the volume buttons to scroll and power button to select, go to: install zip>choose zip from /storage/sdcard1>DE-SAMSUNGNIZER_KNOX_REMOVAL_SCRIPT_V1.0>Yes-install

once that's done you're going to do the same steps by going back and this time installing UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93>yes-install...once done, reboot your phone.

once rebooted, go to the app "supersu" and then open it, choose to update SU binary "normal" and then reboot the phone 1 last time...you are now rooted!! go install rooted apps and enjoy!!

*any supersu issues during su binary update, verify via playstore that supersu is up to date*

SuperSu play store link

Custom Roms:
    -the 1st 2 listed Roms are official/stable releases based on the 4.3.1 stock rom

Always perform a nandroid backup before flashing any rom files via recovery menu: backup/restore>backup to sdcard1

Cyanogenmod CM10.2 (4.3.1): video tutorial compliments of WoodenDiamond71
    -you can bypass the steps in the video of editing the cm10 zip file using notepad ++ because I made/tested the zip file based on his steps and uploaded it along with the gapps zip file needed as well...follow the backing up your phone steps and then transferring the files to your phone and on
    -download the needed zip files HERE

follow the video tutorial: WoodenDiamond71's video guide

Slimbean 4.3.1:
    download the bundle here
    -once extracted, transfer the 2 files: Slim_AIO_gapps.4.3.build.2 and Slim-d2spr-4.3.build.2.2-OFFICIAL-1742 to your sdcard

once transferred, boot into recovery via: power down, hold the volume up, home, and power button all at the same time until you have seen the blue text on the upper left of the screen

-once wiped, go back and choose install zip>install zip from sdcard1 and flash the 2 transferred files beginning with Slim-d2spr-4.3 1st, then gapps

once reboot has finished and you signed into your accounts to initialize your phone, go to: settings>about device>build number-tap on it until you're a developer to get "developer options" and enable "android debugging". now you're ready to begin installing rooted apps, this rom will run Supersu off the playstore which I highly recommend doing before installing rooted apps.
    -download Supersu, open it, update the su binary via normal, reboot once done and begin using rooted apps

Cyanogenmod CM11 (KitKat 4.4.2)-credit goes to WoodenDiamond71 (installation video)

-download the bundled folder here latest release updated in bundle 2/3/14
    -once downloaded, extract it
    -plug your phone into your computer and transfer the zipped CM11 nightly rom and the zipped Gapps to your sdcard

-this Rom is constantly being updated, so keep up to date by frequently checking HERE and downloading/installing the latest release (to update, simply download the latest zip file by DATE, transfer it over to your sd card and install it via Recovery menu, your phone will be as you left it, settings and all)

video available or follow written steps below link:
    CM11 Installation Video Tutorial

-once transferred, boot into recovery via: power down, hold the volume up, home, and power button all at the same time until you have seen the blue text on the upper left of the screen

once wiped, navigate to INSTALL ZIP, CHOOSE ZIP FROM /STORAGE/SDCARD1 and locate the CM11 zip 1st and flash it
    once flashed, locate the gapps zip and flash it, once you have completed all the tasks reboot your phone

once reboot has finished and you signed into your accounts to initialize your phone, go to: settings>about device>build number-tap on it until you're a developer to get "developer options" and enable "android debugging". now you're ready to begin installing rooted apps, this rom uses superuser, to install/use supersu instead:

-download supersu from play store, once downloaded open it and update the su binary via normal, do not reboot yet!! go to supersu settings: under security "enable" su during boot, now reboot and supersu will be used for rooted apps instead of superuser
    Sprint Galaxy SIII Root Package - Updated

Download Link

Package Changelog:
    - updated SuperSU v1.99
    - updated to Philz recovery v6.41.6 (5-14-2014)
    Here you go.
    Goku, you can use this link on the OP if you need to also.
    Let me know if it needs updating.

Sprint SIII root package
    Ok successfully got rooted and custom recovery with sprint package (thanks for the resources) but I'm a little in the dark on the Knox boot loader.. I unpacked brand new L710, i pushed recovery file, booted recovery, flashed samsung knox remover, then flashed supersu, Rebooted, root checked, removed safe bloatware with cleaner without it messing up. What can I do now having knox in the bootloader and what not. Any info on knox preroot and after root knox cleanup. I think flashing kernels/kernal modding is unlikely without brick?
    Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app

You can do anything but downgrade your firmware and modem (Odining to a version before ND8). We already have a custom kernel, KToonsez's in the Original Development section. You can flash/nandroid older ROMs as well, just not the firmware.

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png
    Just letting you know This also works with the latest update ND8 I'm am rooted.

??Sent from my GalaxyS3??