[GAME]Cellulon: Attack of the Virii -- Released!

Search This thread
Jun 15, 2007
I've put up a game for Android using OpenGL ES 2.0 on the market. It's called Cellulon: Attack of the Virii.

It's a platformer in which the player plays as a single-celled citizen of planet Cellulon. Cellulon is under attack from an evil race of viruses called the Virii. The basic point of each level is to try to make it to the far right of the level.

Anyway, I'm gearing up for release and would like to offer up a Beta Test version here with 3 of the finalized levels as a thanks to the xda community.

So far I've been testing on a Nexus One, Droid, and myTouch Slide, so if you have a different phone and experience something that seems really odd(like, say, crashing), please let me know.

Thank you and Enjoy!

PS. The controls: tilt to move left/right, scroll ball/dpad center -or- menu to jump. Swipe down on the screen to slam down(in order to kill an enemy beneath you). If you have spines, press on the screen in the direction you want to shoot to shoot one. Note that on phones with capacitive menu buttons, slamming/shooting cannot be done at the same time as holding it down.

Update: Now released on the Market for $1.99(for a limited time)! Also has a demo version that has the first three levels(2 of which are different from the version here). Thank you everyone who's tested this.

Get it now in the Android Market!

Oh, and here's some screenshots:
screenshot.png

screen1.jpg

Attachments

• Cellulon.apk
    3.9 MB · Views: 541
Last edited:

elracing21

Apr 11, 2009
Bronx
Ok so im not sure how you take criticism so i'll go easy.

First off. Props on making this game, im sure it takes alot and i can tell your taking your time with this.

I noticed its a little boring, you should add more verticallity like in one part of the level where you jump on a platform and on another one is another enemy. I dont like the controls. I wish you can just hit the menu again wile in the ait to perform the slam move. This would be easier.

I didnt get any other things to test out like the spike you mentioned.

You should add more monsters with more platforms and maybe coins or mini cells to collect around the level for a better score at the end of each level. Maybe add a grade score?

IDK this is just some suggestions.

Good luck

Jun 15, 2007
Thanks for the feedback! I get what you're saying with a lot of this, and have thought of adding a score(more enemies and different upgrades are coming in future updates). The only real reason why I haven't so far, actually, is because I didn't want to deal with displaying text in opengl(I probably shouldn't be so lazy).

Also, valid concern about the slamming. I'll take this into consideration.

One note: It's only the first level that's that flat. It's intended to be an introduction and probably on release will have pop-ups when you encounter certain areas of it to give instructions on how to play.

If you continue on to level 2/3, you'll see there's a lot more acrobatics/enemies on platforms/etc.

At any rate, I'm fine with criticism, and I certainly appreciate your input(plus, I'll receive MUCH worse when I post the game to the Market).

Also, you didn't have any complaints about stability and the like, I guess I can check off another phone for compatibility. :cool:

Last edited:

elracing21

Apr 11, 2009
Bronx
Sweet goin to test the new version out. Oh and yes its totally smooth on the g2.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

elracing21

Apr 11, 2009
Bronx
Ok just tried version 2. Also went on to level 2. Pretty sneaky of you to hide the second gene on the left wile dropping lol.

Ok some more feedback... When slamming I noticed when you bounce off of an enemy you never bounce up straight. Idk. If this is intentional or not but just saying. I like how the spikes shoot out. I don't like how the levels just end and too need to back out to the main menu to go to level 2. Also at the end of every level you have a piece of blank background it doesn't look good.

The pop ups do help a lot so props for that.

Keep it up man.

New version is up. Beta 2 now with performance enhancements and some great new features.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

Jun 15, 2007
Ok just tried version 2. Also went on to level 2. Pretty sneaky of you to hide the second gene on the left wile dropping lol.

Ok some more feedback... When slamming I noticed when you bounce off of an enemy you never bounce up straight. Idk. If this is intentional or not but just saying. I like how the spikes shoot out. I don't like how the levels just end and too need to back out to the main menu to go to level 2. Also at the end of every level you have a piece of blank background it doesn't look good.

The pop ups do help a lot so props for that.

Keep it up man.

Thanks again. I hadn't noticed that level 1 doesn't give a pop-up for retrying/main menu when you win. That's a bug and will be fixed in the next version.

I know what you mean about the blank background. I'll try to get that fixed as well(I don't THINK that'll be too hard.)

elracing21

Apr 11, 2009
Bronx
Stopped working as I got the gene on lvl1... keeps crashing there.

You should add a nice home menu screen and a pause screen as well. Maybe add sfx or music. Also when jumping on an enemy I bounce weird like its not a straight bounce.

Did you enhance the gfx? Looks a lot better!
Like that you added the score. Will keep it interesting...

What kind of other genes are there? Only the spike and life ones? More would be cool not sure if there already is but cheers for improving so quick.

Posted on my T-mobile G(spot)2 xD

ljbaumer

Apr 3, 2010
California
Yeah I would spice up the menus a bit and maybe add some sound effects or music or something to make it a bit more appealing to the users which will help out a lot when you release it to the market.

Maybe make 2 more levels or something so that users can get more playing time out of it or make skins for your character or something.

Also it works fine on my droid 2 but when I open up the keyboard it reverts back to the main menu. I think you should probably fix this issue before you release it.

I didn't notice a problem when bouncing off of enimies except when I get the first gene upgrade it automaticly force closes no matter what. Maybe if I skip by the upgrade it won't force close but that is also a problems that should be fixed but other than that it it great

Cool game though and good luck.

Jun 15, 2007
Gah, xda-developers used to email me when I got new posts on threads... don't know why it doesn't any more. I have a new version at home that might fix some of your issues, I'll post a new RC from that tonight. I closed up a lot of memory leaks so, at least on my phone, it's pretty crash/slowdown resistant.

The latest version does have a splash screen featuring the name of the game and such, which is a bit nicer.

Also, I've added sound effects(no music, I can basically only use public domain sounds since, as much as I'm not an artist, I'm even less so a musician/sound engineer)

Bouncing off the enemies doesn't make you bounce straight up. Rather, it bounces you back in the direction you came from.

For the genes, there's only life an spikes for this release. More are planned for updates in the future, but not gonna be ready for initial release(more enemies as well).

For levels: There certainly will be more, I just don't put them all in these test versions(notice that at the end of each level in this it references level 1, 4, or 7 instead of 1, 2, or 3). I currently have 12 levels ready to go and will release with 15.

ANYWAY, sorry for all this text, but new(and hopefully final) version will go up tonight.

EDIT: Forgot, re:keyboard closing force close: I've seen this one as well, I'll work on fixing it before release.

elracing21

Apr 11, 2009
Bronx
Thanks for the update. Wondering if you will add the doublt tap menu for bounce?
Gah, xda-developers used to email me when I got new posts on threads... don't know why it doesn't any more. I have a new version at home that might fix some of your issues, I'll post a new RC from that tonight. I closed up a lot of memory leaks so, at least on my phone, it's pretty crash/slowdown resistant.

The latest version does have a splash screen featuring the name of the game and such, which is a bit nicer.

Also, I've added sound effects(no music, I can basically only use public domain sounds since, as much as I'm not an artist, I'm even less so a musician/sound engineer)

Bouncing off the enemies doesn't make you bounce straight up. Rather, it bounces you back in the direction you came from.

For the genes, there's only life an spikes for this release. More are planned for updates in the future, but not gonna be ready for initial release(more enemies as well).

For levels: There certainly will be more, I just don't put them all in these test versions(notice that at the end of each level in this it references level 1, 4, or 7 instead of 1, 2, or 3). I currently have 12 levels ready to go and will release with 15.

ANYWAY, sorry for all this text, but new(and hopefully final) version will go up tonight.

EDIT: Forgot, re:keyboard closing force close: I've seen this one as well, I'll work on fixing it before release.

Posted on my T-mobile G(spot)2 xD

murdercitydan

Jul 6, 2010
Just finished try to play on my EVO. Controls are a bit odd, if you're going faster than a snail it lags and you cant really jump. Sometimes it will close out of the app after tryig to jump unsuccesfully several times. Not a normal force close though, it just goes straight back too my home screen.

Also, the second i grab the first gene i get a force close and it takes me to the main menu of the game.

Not sure if this matters to you or not, but im using the newest version on fresh.

Aside from my devices problems with the game, i do like the concept.

nutweevil

Jun 16, 2010
Coimbra
after 20seconds playing game and i got the first crash :(

i was getting the first "gene" it crashed i dont know why. 2nd try now... ;)

edit:
2nd try... 2nd crash... "(process com.android.gl2jni) has stopped unexpectedly"

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2007
Same as the others, force close at the first "gene". Here's a logcat if it helps.

http://pastebin.com/qLSuPXLN

Alright, thanks guys I'll look into that. What phones do you have? I was a bit surprised to see the evo having that problem since it has the same chipset as my Nexus One(on which it works perfectly), but with enough data I should be able to figure it out.

Thanks especially for the logcat.

EDIT: Got it. Looks like I borked the pop-up you're supposed to get the first time you get a health upgrade. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix. Thanks again, guys!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2007
Alright, I've got it fixed. Unfortunately I'm at work so the app doesn't have the proper signature. Because of that, I'll attach it here instead of in the OP. If you use this you'll have to uninstall the previous version first, and then uninstall again before installing any new versions. I'll be putting up a correctly signed version tonight.

That said, the first upgrade crash is, as far as I can tell, fixed. Enjoy!

Oops again. Probably should have tested this one a bit more thoroughly. It fixed the health upgrades but not the spine ones. I attached a new one that fixes both here.

Attachments

• Cellulon.apk
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited: