Galaxy Note colour rendering issue: started working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

a3plew

Aug 16, 2010
los angeles
The att note recently got a ics leak. The banding issues seem to be fixed as can be seen on the xda app splash screen. They changed something so with the test image with the numbers it is a un smooth trasition from about number 7. With gingerbread you could see all the numbers. so they are changing something. It seems to create a new problem with the greys though ;). But it's something that I will be temporarily happy with until this is hopefully resolved.

EdgaBimbam

Nov 26, 2011
Vilnius
www.google.lt
The att note recently got a ics leak. The banding issues seem to be fixed as can be seen on the xda app splash screen. They changed something so with the test image with the numbers it is a un smooth trasition from about number 7. With gingerbread you could see all the numbers. so they are changing something. It seems to create a new problem with the greys though ;). But it's something that I will be temporarily happy with until this is hopefully resolved.

what about iron man 2 trailer? there is black color clipping? ;D

PaulF8080

Apr 10, 2012
I registered to relate a couple of stories that sound like this problem.

I worked for a company that made large alpha-numeric displays using character arrays build of a 5x7 array of incandescent bulbs. To save money on ascii to 5x7 encoders we would turn on 1 out 8 characters at time with 8 times the power. The filaments in the bulbs would average the power.

Fast forward to the invention of LEDs. The above method did not work because even though the average power was the same the LEDs switched so fast the human eye would perceive the peak power. We had to crank the peak power down.

Fast forward again and I was looking at the gamma test and I said maybe my eyes are seeing the peak power making most of the bars perceived as bright. The interesting thing, that kind of confirms this, is that when I look at the gamma test on my Note using the camera on Captivate in a dark room the bars are not all bright. They are graduated. I am guessing in low light the Captivate's sensor "shutter" is open longer than the Note refresh rate to average the power. I am also guessing the lower bits of the color pallet modulate the power pulse width(PWM) and the peak is set by the upper bits.

That's my story and I am sticking to it. Incidentally not all eyes are the same. I know of at least one person could not look at our LED displays because they strobed(especially under florescent lights).

duowing

Dec 14, 2010
Cleveland, OH
One interesting thing I noticed was with the two Notes side by side on the previous page how one seems to be more blobbed, where the other is more defined, but has worse banding. If you look at the one that has more definition the display itself looks brighter vs. the more blobbed one is dimmer. I was able to go into a dark room and get both results. By adjusting brightness a lot higher I was able to get pretty much the right image, then by lower brightness or going back to auto I was seeing the left image. So in my mind part of the reason people are seeing such different results also depends on the screen brightness. Similar to the crosshatch/linen pattern or whatever you want to call it. When lower brightness that background becomes more apparent, but at high brightness it seems to disappear.

Rezz

Jul 15, 2008
One interesting thing I noticed was with the two Notes side by side on the previous page how one seems to be more blobbed, where the other is more defined, but has worse banding. If you look at the one that has more definition the display itself looks brighter vs. the more blobbed one is dimmer. I was able to go into a dark room and get both results. By adjusting brightness a lot higher I was able to get pretty much the right image, then by lower brightness or going back to auto I was seeing the left image. So in my mind part of the reason people are seeing such different results also depends on the screen brightness. Similar to the crosshatch/linen pattern or whatever you want to call it. When lower brightness that background becomes more apparent, but at high brightness it seems to disappear.

I set both devices on the same brightness and color mode, so thats not it.

The main difference is that the right one shows better blacks, where mine, the one on the left, is more grey, so the gradient seems more smooth when in fact its just washed out.

This is because that when the pixels are lit, the darkest color it shows is grey instead of near black.

I really hope this will be fixed soon, because I love everything else about my note and I'd hate to go back to a smaller screen.

Last edited:

celtichazard

Apr 4, 2010
I set both devices on the same brightness and color mode, so thats not it.

The main difference is that the right one shows better blacks, where mine, the one on the left, is more grey, so the gradient seems more smooth when in fact its just washed out.

This is because that when the pixels are lit, the darkest color it shows is grey instead of near black.

I really hope this will be fixed soon, because I love everything else about my note and I'd hate to go back to a smaller screen.

I have the same problem my withe note displays more brightness, the other display like you say is lke a Grey filter on the screen or something but the brigness is not at max

CONTACTMC

Apr 20, 2010
My note next to my wifes galaxy s 2, you can clearly see the gamma problem in this pic, I have contacted Samsung, awaiting reply.

screnntesters007.jpg

PaulF8080

Apr 10, 2012
I do have clipping because level 1 is too bright.
So when blacks are level 1 and 0 close together, I have a sudden drop from dark grey to deep black. not visible in a normal environement, but very visible in a dark room.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
Beware, only my second post.

I have the same problem, but am not sure if it is THE problem. My total wild guess from previous hardware design experience is that what I am "seeing" is a Persistence of Vision(POV) problem.

My guess is the voltage levels look like this:
L 0 _____________________________
L 1 __--_____________________--___
L 2 __----___________________----_

L 2 emits more light than L 1 because it's pulses are wider. Unfortunately your eyes do not work that way. They persistently remember the peak brightness for 1/25 sec no matter how wide the pulse. So level 1 and 2 are "seen" as the same brightness. If your eyes are deceiving you, how do you know this is happening? You look at the Note screen using a camera in dark room. Cameras average the total light. I guess I am saying that it may a hardware limitation were digital analog converters that adjust the height of the above pulses may not have enough bits to handle all 24+ bits so the designers may have resorted to pulse width modulation(PWM). A bug for sure. I have been there.

pboesboes

Mar 25, 2012
Have you tried opening the pic in the gallery? Mine looks like that in the ICS browser but is perfect in the gallery.

Rezz

Jul 15, 2008
Mine shows like that in gallery, but in quickpic I can see all the way to 1.

Nontheless, we shouldnt be able to start seeing greys up untill 10 or so, so its all crap.

CONTACTMC

Apr 20, 2010
I contacted Samsung and was advised that my screen is faulty, I have sent it back and am awaiting a replacement, will let you know how the new one looks.

letters_to_cleo

Jan 23, 2012
Portsmouth, N.H.
so far there are really no perfect screens still out there.. no matter how many times your going to exchange screens, the screen you have would tantamount itself to have issues still. Just like a panel lottery, some replacement screens have better color rendition over the other, in expense of another faulty thing again that you might notice later on, when you examine it closely....

just my take

CONTACTMC

Apr 20, 2010
Yeah but for £450 we should not accept poor quality. They advertise it as being a great screen for watching movies etc, and thats what I expect for my hard earned ££££, we all should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi dear Galaxy Note owners.

As many of you I'm not quite satisfied by Galaxy Note screen.
    Most of the feedback reveal sub-par results, despite we all know the potential here is huge (to say the least).

References:
    - [Q] Galaxy Note Screen Issues!!!
    - [Q] Video on Note

Worst offender being shadows rendering: my diagnostic: what's supposed to be dark is not so dark.. and then boom its black (ie black clipping)
    As a result color look dull, some UI elements show not quite as they're supposed to, and videos exhibit awful banding, blocking and ringing artifacts.

That's why I can announce here I started working on Galaxy Note screen color.

Don't expect immediate results as it's a complex topic and I'm working on other projects where users expect updates (like Voodoo LOUDER), but I wanted to give keep you updated.
    And after that.. there will be fixes and solutions.
    − be patient.
    Next step:
    Measurements with a colorimeter, at several brightness levels.
    Just to inform you I developed the technology I needed as driver while working on Voodoo Sound.

It means I'm one step closer for the new gen application.
    I reworked the color profile; On my device there's no green cast anymore now even at lowest brightness modes.

Epic.
    I hope it will translate well on other devices I well but for once I'm almost confident.