New Approach to get HTC to listen.

Search This thread

hasoon2000

Feb 22, 2008
Orland Park, Illinois
www.hasoon2000.info
We need to bug HTC to get what the people want. To do so, you can tweet them and email. Remember, be professional!

Twitter: @HTC and @HTCDev

Send them both tweets about releasing the source for the Amaze.

I tweeted Faux and he said this to me:

https://twitter.com/faux123/status/205121987000016896

Also, E-Mail them.

http://htcdev.com/contact

Tell them why we want it and how it will benefit us AND them.

Here is what I wrote:

HTC has made a promise to help to development community by releasing the source code as well as unlocking the bootloader for their devices. However, the TI WLAN source code has been withheld from the community. This slows development and can even cease development for the device completely. Without the source code, developers will have to develop blindly and hoping not to break anything in the process. The Amaze 4G has great potential due to his hardware and power that it harnesses. Android is an Open Source OS, but HTC is sounding more like Apple, holding their source from the public. People purchased the device to experience the "Real Feel" of Android by customizing it, installing Custom ROMs, tweaking it, etc. Without the WLAN source code, we, as a community, have starting to lose faith in HTC and some of us have even pledged to never purchase an HTC device again due to HTC's policies. The community will like for HTC to rethink their strategy and be "Open" with the community. The best form of advertisement is by "The Word-of-Mouth". When our community, the tech savvy and the owners of a smartphone, see how HTC listens to their customers requests, they will become more profitable and retain/gain new and loyal customers.

Follow along my lines but don't copy and paste it. Be truthful to them. Open your mind/heart. Tell them why we want, why it will help, why it will help their image with consumers, how it can lead to more business and brand loyalty.

Last edited:

Shivammcool

Dec 18, 2010
Mississauga
We need to bug HTC to get what the people want. To do so, you can tweet them and email. Remember, be professional!

Also, E-Mail them.

Here is what I wrote:

Follow along my lines but don't copy and paste it. Be truthful to them. Open your mind/heart. Tell them why we want, why it will help, why it will help their image with consumers, how it can leave to more business and brand loyalty.

Will do

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using XDA

hasoon2000

Feb 22, 2008
Orland Park, Illinois
www.hasoon2000.info
HTC responded to me

Dear Odai,

I understand you would like to have certain source codes like the WLAN drivers to the development community. I realize that this information is of great importance to you. The only source code we have available is the full source code available on the HTC Developer website at http://htcdev.com. We do not currently have an option to send individual parts of the source code separately. Any parts of the kernel source code that are not included in the released source code on the website should be considered propriety and not available for release. Please visit http://htcdev.com/contact to leave comments about this feature. I thank you for sending your email to HTC today.

My response to that

Since HTC is committed to helping the development community, hence HTCDev has been started, there have been a fair share of issues that is being withheld from us. There has been a lack of support for certain devices since new flagship phones have been released. For example, the HTC Amaze 4G is a device with great hardware, but HTC has not given us full support due to the face of the HTC One series being released. As a business student, I understand what is being done. HTC would like their new flagship phones to sell and give less support to older devices. However, we are being left out and since this is my first non-Nokia device, I feel betrayed by HTC already. I purchased the Amaze 4G due to its hardware and I know it can unleash its true potential, only with the help of HTC. However, this is not the case. There are devices with over 10 custom made kernels and how many does the Amaze have? Only one and that is for Gingerbread and it has slight modifications since the full source has not be released. This is a huge setback to us users. We have barely any type of custom ROMs. We have not AOSP (Android Open Source Project) ROMs since we need the full kernel source to even make a kernel that is compatible with AOSP ROMs.

The Sensation development is sky high booming with plenty of developers. As a developer for the HTC Amaze 4G, looking at the Sensation development is heart breaking. The Amaze is truly better, but yet has no support from those who created it. It is like leaving a baby in the street. You do not do that.

HTC needs to realize for those who purchase their devices and would like to retain loyalty to HTC, HTC needs to treat their customers back as well. Without us, HTC is nothing.

As I stated earlier, this is my first Non-Nokia device and I already feel betrayed by HTC. If HTC cannot fix their act and be committed to those purchase their devices, they will lose customers significantly.

There should be a way to release the full source to us HTC Amaze 4G owners by talking to other companies that have their hardware in the Amaze. If that cannot be done, this will be my first and last HTC device ever.

So do what you can and stay committed to your program for us HTC users. Without your support, we feel betrayed since the company is not living up to their word. For us, it is hypocrisy while you guys believe it is business. The best business is customer support. If customers are not given what they have been truly promised, HTC might as well just shut down or reallocate to another industry. Just my opinions and my response.

andy55

Sep 10, 2009
Just in case anyone needs some ideas on what to write. As Hasoon has said, don't copy and paste, make it legit!

As I hope others before me have sent an email to you regarding the same topic, I as well am writing to you in regards to the TI WLAN source code for the amaze that you have yet to release. I have been loyal to the HTC brand since the touch, and felt that your move to the development communities has been terrific, and have become quite involved with the development community myself, and look forward to help developing the amaze to its full potential and to have full freedom over the device. I know that there has been at least one statement released already regarding the WLAN driver's release, and that it is proprietary, and if that is the case, I'd like to get some more information regarding that statement, if/when you plan on ever releasing it, and why it is proprietary to begin with. There are many other devices out there that HTC has been very co-operative with, but fail to see why with the Amaze, a device that the way I see it is still extremely capable yet now not the hot phone to have, especially with your ONE line out, so the release of the driver would make sense to me, but withholding the code now does not. I hope this email along with others I hope are being sent regarding the same issue will persuade HTC to be as open as possible with the developers out there and show us that HTC still stands by its position to be a 'developer friendly' company.

crazypotato

May 8, 2009
The TI drivers source code belongs to Texas Instruments. HTC only has license to use it. TI is more of the root of problems. This kind of problems have been existing in linux community for life. Developers have to reverse engineering most of the drivers.

EclipzeRemix

Oct 8, 2011
this is what i got back

Dear Xavier Veras,

Hello, Xavier, and thank you for contacting HTC regarding your concerns with the T-Mobile Amaze ICS kernel source code. I understand how important it is for you to have this information for your phone. As you stated in your email to us, you aren’t talking about the Gingerbread source code, but I would like to note that the source code for Gingerbread is available on our htcdev.com website. The ICS software for the Amaze is relatively new for us, having just released a couple months ago. It does take time for the code to be compiled and we aren’t trying to keep it from you or our other customers. Also, the Amaze does have Sense 3.6 when upgraded to ICS, as do all our devices, thus far, that have received the ICS update. Unfortunately, though it is available for customer use, we don’t support the htcdev.com website and do not know if or when the kernel source code for ICS will be released. I apprecate you contacting us with your concerns and thank you for being an HTC customer!

Reactions: pbergonzi

hasoon2000

Feb 22, 2008
Orland Park, Illinois
www.hasoon2000.info
this is what i got back

Dear Xavier Veras,

You can call bs on that.

One X source code is released.

Sensation Source code is released. ---> They got ICS 5 days after us

One V source code is released.

Respond back to them and tell them that. They are lying to the customers. How did other devices get it so quick when they say ICS is new?

You have to take the initiative.

EclipzeRemix

Oct 8, 2011
You can call bs on that.

One X source code is released.

Sensation Source code is released. ---> They got ICS 5 days after us

One V source code is released.

Respond back to them and tell them that. They are lying to the customers. How did other devices get it so quick when they say ICS is new?

You have to take the initiative.

I replied this

That is false, the HTC One X,S, and V all got there kernel source, so did the HTC Sensation with Sense 3.6, and we got our update 5 days apart. Not only that but the Amaze is always let down with everything, we still dont have a WiFi source either. Tell HTC to get their act straight because I'm very likely to but another phone from another company soon. We need this source, I paid 500 dollars for a phone that I don't completely own because of the missing source. Thank you for your time but something has to be done

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

hasoon2000

Feb 22, 2008
Orland Park, Illinois
www.hasoon2000.info
I replied this

That is false, the HTC One X,S, and V all got there kernel source, so did the HTC Sensation with Sense 3.6, and we got our update 5 days apart. Not only that but the Amaze is always let down with everything, we still dont have a WiFi source either. Tell HTC to get their act straight because I'm very likely to but another phone from another company soon. We need this source, I paid 500 dollars for a phone that I don't completely own because of the missing source. Thank you for your time but something has to be done

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

You want to call them out. You have to tell them basically you know your facts and you aren't stupid. Companies think customers are stupid (for the most part, they are right.) But you do have to tell them you know your stuff. I'm still waiting for them to respond to my second response.

EDIT: Apparently I overlooked this and thought it was an automated message.

They said

I appreciate you getting back with us; and I thank you for your input concerning the availability of the kernel source codes for our Android devices. I hope you have a nice day.

My response right now was

I would like a response to what I have said. HTC has released source codes for the One X, One V, Sensation BUT not the Amaze. The Sensation has received the ICS update 5 days before the Amaze and they have their source code released. You totally blew off my last response and reasons like this is why I am disappointed with HTC. I am not surprised that HTC is not a BBB accredited business. With the way they handle customers, they really should shut down. Take care of customers and then they will take care of you. You guys apparently don't believe in that and it shows.

Last edited:

andy55

Sep 10, 2009
I got my reply,

Dear Andy,

Thank you for contacting HTC Andy! I apologize that we do not have any information on when/if that driver will be released. The best place to look for updates on that information would be the htcdev.com website or Facebook/Twitter. Thank you for being a loyal HTC customer. We appreciate your commitment. I hope that you have a great day!

So basically I'm emailing my cousin, or uncle, because I would've gotten the same reply from them! What a joke, time to turn it up a notch.

edit: reply
I feel as if my original question was not answered, I'm contacting the company regarding an issue about their product, and felt as though I was getting a reply from a third party or someone unfamiliar with their own products. I'm looking for answers for the Amaze TI WLAN driver, and am requesting the release, or the date of release for that driver. Other phones in your product lineup have had their full source codes released, phones released before and after the Amaze, and in the case of the sensation, mere days after receiving its ICS update. I'm sure there is somebody I could either write or speak with that would be able to answer my question, I, along with many others in the development community feel it would be in HTC's best interests to release the driver. You would be helping those in the development community fully explore their devices, and in turn improve your company image as a top phone manufacturer and developer friendly company.

HTC's reply:
Thank you for getting back in touch with me Andy. I’m sorry that there was some confusion in our last email. As I stated before, we do not have any information on if or when the drivers will be released. Proprietary drivers are created by HTC for use on our phones and we are not by law, required to release the drivers. The open source codes are on the htcdev.com website but any drivers created by HTC, are property of HTC and will be released if we choose. HTC is committed to giving their customers the best experience possible so your concerns and requests have been noted. I apologize that we do not have any further information on if/when the drivers will be released but please check for updates on the htcdev.com website and/or Facebook and/or Twitter. I thank you for being a loyal HTC customer and I hope that you have a great day!

Booooooo

Last edited:

CalicoJeb

Aug 26, 2011
Done - the minute I read your post, Thanks

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

HTC's reply:
Thank you for getting back in touch with me Andy. I’m sorry that there was some confusion in our last email. As I stated before, we do not have any information on if or when the drivers will be released. Proprietary drivers are created by HTC for use on our phones and we are not by law, required to release the drivers. The open source codes are on the htcdev.com website but any drivers created by HTC, are property of HTC and will be released if we choose. HTC is committed to giving their customers the best experience possible so your concerns and requests have been noted. I apologize that we do not have any further information on if/when the drivers will be released but please check for updates on the htcdev.com website and/or Facebook and/or Twitter. I thank you for being a loyal HTC customer and I hope that you have a great day!

Maybe they ripped off some other company's/persons source to create the Amaze - so cannot release it :D jk

hasoon2000

Feb 22, 2008
Orland Park, Illinois
www.hasoon2000.info
The responded to my message.

I can definitely understand how the previous agent’s answer would make you upset. I’ll be glad to help you, Odai. By law, all that we are required to release is the kernel source code. HTC will release source code in accordance with any applicable open source license terms, i.e. GPL v2.0. Other source codes, which are not required to be disclosed by the open source license terms, unfortunately cannot be disclosed by HTC, as they may be proprietary to HTC or its licensor.

My response

Samuel, thank you for responding. Danielle blew off my message and that is not great customer service. However, I see conflicting interests from messages I have been told as well as other. Some of the users have been told

"HTC will typically publish on http://developer.htc.com or htcdev.com the Kernel open source code for recently released devices as soon as possible. HTC will normally publish this within 90 to 120 days. This time frame is within the requirements of the open source community."

Also, "Hello, (name omitted), and thank you for contacting HTC regarding your concerns with the T-Mobile Amaze ICS kernel source code. I understand how important it is for you to have this information for your phone. As you stated in your email to us, you aren’t talking about the Gingerbread source code, but I would like to note that the source code for Gingerbread is available on our htcdev.com website. The ICS software for the Amaze is relatively new for us, having just released a couple months ago. It does take time for the code to be compiled and we aren’t trying to keep it from you or our other customers. Also, the Amaze does have Sense 3.6 when upgraded to ICS, as do all our devices, thus far, that have received the ICS update. Unfortunately, though it is available for customer use, we don’t support the htcdev.com website and do not know if or when the kernel source code for ICS will be released. I apprecate you contacting us with your concerns and thank you for being an HTC customer!"

Why are the messages all conflicting? Some say it is not required, some say you have to wait 90 - 120 days when devices, like the Sensation, received the source code within 2 weeks of the ICS release. The management is either terrible or the staff is not properly trained.

Do you see why we are not happy with HTC? High Tech Computers is what HTC stands for, correct? HTC is also looking to help out the development community, correct? The only company that TRULY believes in the development community is Samsung. They acknowledged the work at XDA-Developers.com and they see how important it is to get in touch with those who love to customize their devices. Without releasing the source code to use so we can take advantage of OUR devices, you'll end up with unsatisfied customers and you will lose loyal customers. As a first time owner of an HTC device, I am pretty mad that I can't truly take advantage of it. I worked for T-Mobile for a few years and sold many HTC and Samsung phones. I always saw the Samsung owners are able to have full and true control of their devices. It is not the same however, with HTC.

Remember folks! TAKE INITIATIVE! CALL THEM OUT! TELL THEM WHAT OTHER COMPANIES ARE DOING! Be a man! lol

Reactions: andy55 and broker32

andy55

Sep 10, 2009
one more try:

There was no confusion with your first reply, I understand that HTC has no legal mandate to release anything it doesen't need to, so again, no confusion. What I am confused about is the reason the amaze driver has been held back, when other devices have had their full source codes released, and still there was no reason given as to why the WLAN driver can not be released. Other phone compaines out there like samsung seem to co-operate with developers better then HTC does, so its a shame that I can't get an answer for a simple question. And the reason provided, 'because we don't have to' isn't a good one, I'm sure there's a reason why, someone in the company must know something relating to this issue, and those in the development community are left in the dark on the topic. So no, there is no confusion regarding this topic, I fully understand HTC's stance on what is theirs and what is required by law, but considering your desire to be involved with development with HTCDEV.com, what I don't understand is why I can't get an answer that actually answers my question, a question directly relating to development. As you have said in the last reply I recieved, 'your concerns and requests have been noted', this lack of communication and understanding has also been noted by myself, and it will directly influence me on my next phone purchase.

hasoon2000

Feb 22, 2008
Orland Park, Illinois
www.hasoon2000.info
Can I say progress?

Dear Odai,

Thanks for getting back to me, Odai. I’m honestly not sure why there is conflicting information. The first email that you quoted contains the correct information. The time frame that we generally release new kernels is 90 to 120 days. Though I don’t know why the Sensation’s source code was available so soon, there’s no reason I can see why the Amaze’s wouldn’t be released within the 90 to 120 time frame previously mentioned. Since the Amaze 4G is part of the bootloader unlock program, the latest source code will be posted to htcdev.com when available. Due to the inconsistency of the responses you’ve seen, I can definitely understand why you and others would be so unhappy. Personally, I’m going to do what I can to make sure this addressed and prevent conflicting and misinformation in the future. I agree with you that members of the developer community have the right to this information and only with that can they push their devices to the limit. If there’s anything else I can do for you, please let me know. Thanks again for taking the time to contact us and for being an HTC customer.

Reactions: neoyoli

hasoon2000

Feb 22, 2008
Orland Park, Illinois
www.hasoon2000.info
My response

Samuel, I am glad that you have acknowledged the issues and the inconsistency in the messages we are given. I commend you for that.

As a Recognized Developer on XDA-Developers, as well as speaking on behalf of the Amaze 4G community, we would like HTC to work a deal with us. We need the source code, the full source code I should say, to help our development for the Amaze.

Reasons are as follows:
1. It will retain customer loyalty.
2. It will increase in sales/customer database.
3. Receiving a better name for the company.

I will explain how it will for each reason.

1. As I have stated, it will retain customer loyalty. When customers see the company taking care of them and fully addressing their issues, customers will be happy, even if the problem is not fixed. They see HTC cares and tries to do their best. HTC has well built all around devices and that is why customers continue purchasing HTC devices.

2. The sales number will increase. It may be a slight amount, but when customers enjoy their phones, they will continue purchasing the devices in the future. When I show my friends what my phone can do, it blows their mind. I have friends who purchase the phone I have because I show them what it can do and what their phones cannot do. Remember, the best advertisement is word-of-mouth.

3. A company should be a people company. HTC shows that they care about the development community by opening HTCDev. That is wonderful to see someone has been paying attention to us. Samsung does promotions specifically for XDA-Developers. They have truly recognized our community and they even hired a developer! HTC should see how big the customer base of XDA-Developers, CyanogenMod, RootzWiki and many other development websites/forums. When they show true interest in us, we will defend the company if someone speaks bad about it, etc.

All the reasons tie in with one another. Samuel, I believe you should pass our conversation along to the higher management. They should not blow our community off.

Are you guys taking notes??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Also, E-Mail them.

Here is what I wrote:

HTC has made a promise to help to development community by releasing the source code as well as unlocking the bootloader for their devices. However, the TI WLAN source code has been withheld from the community. This slows development and can even cease development for the device completely. Without the source code, developers will have to develop blindly and hoping not to break anything in the process. The Amaze 4G has great potential due to his hardware and power that it harnesses. Android is an Open Source OS, but HTC is sounding more like Apple, holding their source from the public. People purchased the device to experience the "Real Feel" of Android by customizing it, installing Custom ROMs, tweaking it, etc. Without the WLAN source code, we, as a community, have starting to lose faith in HTC and some of us have even pledged to never purchase an HTC device again due to HTC's policies. The community will like for HTC to rethink their strategy and be "Open" with the community. The best form of advertisement is by "The Word-of-Mouth". When our community, the tech savvy and the owners of a smartphone, see how HTC listens to their customers requests, they will become more profitable and retain/gain new and loyal customers.

Follow along my lines but don't copy and paste it. Be truthful to them. Open your mind/heart. Tell them why we want, why it will help, why it will help their image with consumers, how it can lead to more business and brand loyalty.
    The below can only be validated once we get the 3.0 kernel source. Without kernel source we basically cant do anything for aosp ics since it has pmem issues. that should be easy to fix.

It trying to get wifi working on ruby i switched over to the stock 3.0 kernel so i could use its modules and start trying to get some networking stuff going.
    I did some research on its wifi chip. The firmware files tell me its a TI wl127x (dont know if the last number is a 1 or 3)
    Then reading the kmesg we see:
    Code:
    <4>[    3.967895] fm_drv: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
    <6>[    3.982757] Compat-wireless backport release: 
    <6>[    3.982879] Backport based on wl12xx.git v3.1-rc6-14229-g8635dd0
    This is actually just the fm module
    google reveals a random kmesg and after some reading turns out to be the tegra one x (endeavoru)
    What? the endeavoru and ruby have the same wifi chip?
    No but close the endeavoru has a wl128x.

But we can use the same wpa_supplicant and finally get wifi turning on (still not totaly functional).
    Endeavoru source:https://github.com/TeamNDVRu/android_hardware_ti_wlan
    remirrored here for us: https://github.com/Evervolv/android_hardware_ti_wlan/tree/ics

But what about the driver? The endeavoru has kernel source maybe we can use theirs? (when we get our 3.0 kernel source)
    Source says no (i may be wrong here)
    https://github.com/TeamNDVRu/htc-ke...b/master/drivers/net/wireless/wl12xx/Makefile
    Code:
    #We will build wl12xx.ko and wl12xx_sdio.ko at vendor/ti/wlan/
    so it only builds wl12xx_spi.ko a module our stock kernel doesnt have so thats no use. And i dont know where to find the vendor repo.

then i find:
    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/wl12xx
    which links to the source:
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/luca/wl12xx.git;a=summary
    but this is the entire kernel. what we want:
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/luca/wl12xx.git;a=tree;f=drivers/net/wireless/ti/wl12xx

But this only builds wl12xx.ko so we still need wl12xx_sdio.ko and most of these:
    Code:
    bluetooth.ko  cfg80211.ko  hid-magicmouse.ko  mac80211.ko  wl12xx_sdio.ko
    bnep.ko       compat.ko    hidp.ko            rfcomm.ko
    btwilink.ko   fm_drv.ko    kineto_gan.ko      wl12xx.ko
    kineto_gan.ko seems not needed since it is actually from 35 kernel and doesnt even load. lol
    Code:
    <3>[    7.698760] kineto_gan: version magic '2.6.35.13-g222a32a SMP preempt mod_unload ARMv7 ' should be '3.0.16-ga4fb83c SMP preempt mod_unload ARMv7 '

TLDR
    So what does this mean?
    I guess the question is does the endeavoru (one x tegra) have the source for their wifi driver? If not we need to join with them and get the sources released since (i am only assuming) they are the same.

we'll get the kernel source eventually but until then no builds can be released because the pmem errors render the device almost unusable.
    Our efforts have worked! We finally won! Great job everyone!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1943931
    Got in contact with a news writer. Hopefully he can get this ball rolling!

He's a cool guy by the way! :)
    I emailed Peter Chou. Hopefully it may help. Don't expect a response or anything, but we shall see!

Dear Mr. Chou,

My name is Odai (last name) and I am a 20 year old college student. I am currently studying as an undergraduate at the University of Illinois at Chicago. I am studying Business Management with a minor in Entrepreneurship. I am also an software developer on XDA-Developers and I am also an amateur at Custom ROM development.

You may or may not respond to what I have to say, but I would at least like for you to hear me out.

I currently own an HTC Amaze 4G and development for us is crippled by the way HTCDev have been with releasing our source code. However, I am not only speaking about the Amaze 4G owners, I am speaking on behalf of all HTC owners. The last generation models (Amaze 4G, Vivid, Rezound, MyTouch 4G Slide, etc) has had stifled innovation due to HTC and HTCDev's lack of cooperation.

We have reviewed the licenses of the source and they are all GPL. Therefore, it must be released under the GPLv2 license. However, HTC has been giving us bogus responses such as "HTC will normally publish this within 90 to 120 days. This time frame is within the requirements of the open source community." If you think about it, with our rapid growth of technology, that time frame will make the device outdated. Many people are infuriated with the way HTC and HTCDev have been with their customers. Many people sold their HTC device and switched to the Samsung Galaxy devices.

With the encryption of bootloaders, it has made it hard for people to get simple root access to their phones. Samsung has an unlocked bootloader, but it's truly unlocked. With HTCDev, they only give us access to the recovery, data, and system partition. That is not a truly unlocked bootloader,

I remember when HTC only sold Windows Mobile devices and Android has lead to HTC in higher sales and growth. HTC can still regain their market share by working with their customers. Think about it like this, you just spent $500 on your device and you do not like the applications T-Mobile has added, so you decide you want to root your phone and remove it. You go on XDA-Developers.com and look at your phone forum, you see there in not even a simple access root for the device. People are seeing this now and are not pleased. Samsung has even hired Steve Kondik from XDA-Developers to work with them. Steve Kondik is the founder of the famous custom ROM "CyanogenMod". HTC has been a little friendlier with the Development community but not so much.

We have read the email that was leaked out about how HTC should "kill the bureaucracy." I believe HTC should remanage the way they operate internally as well as externally.

I would like for you to take this email into consideration. You do not need to reply back. It would be nice if you did so I can at least tell our community that you truly do care about our voice, but I will not be expecting it.

Thank you for your time.

Odai (last name)