[Tip]Using Play Store Without Play Services

Search This thread

bsimpson1

Jun 16, 2013
I came across an interesting workaround today regarding the annoying refusal of Google Play Store to run when Google Play Services is not enabled. Running the following in a terminal will disable a component of Google Play Services that prevents the check when you start the Play Store:

Code:
pm disable com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.recovery.RecoveryService

Note: I have not tested this enough to know if there are any significant drawbacks yet.

I can say that this will finally allow Google Play Services to be greenified (although other components such as Google Backup Transport seems to occasionally prevent greenification). In addition, it seems to stop all those logs from being written to /data/system/dropbox/, which I personally found to be very irritating, and found the alternative solution of setting the folder to read-only to be problematic.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

bsimpson1

Jun 16, 2013
Unfortunately it looks like google play services is necessary to allow you to download apps from the play store. I didn't realize it at first because the checkin service had already done its thing and I was free to use everything until it was time for the next checkin. I'll post here if I find out any way to overcome this, but it looks like Google Play Services is probably necessary for the Play Store to function.

sonyu

Jun 9, 2014
Unfortunately it looks like google play services is necessary to allow you to download apps from the play store. I didn't realize it at first because the checkin service had already done its thing and I was free to use everything until it was time for the next checkin. I'll post here if I find out any way to overcome this, but it looks like Google Play Services is probably necessary for the Play Store to function.

I tried and failed. There's no workaround. >.< Play Store needs Google Play Services in order to work properly. :eek:

Reactions: Ziad_Sydek

sonyu

Jun 9, 2014
Will try this when I get the root.

Yea, go ahead. :cowboy:
...Just wanna let you guys know, there's a google thread, in which people talk/ed bout the purpose of .services. Turns out you really need that sh*t!XD
It's like a framework you simply need to have installed- just like @donniemceduns said. ^ ^

Off-topic ― now, I'm on CM11, with no Google Play installed, therefore no .services running. I simply installed an alternative market. ^ ^

sonyu

Jun 9, 2014
Thanks for the link. One question though. Lets say I install a kitkat rom. Can I remove all the Play Store services and their dependencies to improve my phone's performance? I plan to do this and let Mobilegenie be my only market. If this is possible how can I remove these services for good?

Hi Didi,

Yea, sure.
You already know this, but for all the people who didn't bother to read the thread, removing .services will result in errors, whenever you try to open a google application(Play store for instance), which requires .services.

I used a kitkat ROM before- deleted all G-apps and installed my alternative market. No errors! ^ ^
As for Mobogenie, it's my primary market on CM11. It features autoupdates, even auto-install if your device is rooted. Sweet! :good:

UPDATE:

Oh, sorry @didito! Didn't notice the "how can I remove these services for good" part.
Install an Uninstaller app for rooted devices( Your device must be rooted).
In-app: Navigate to SYSTEM APPS & remove google play services and google play store.
If you're not sure which app to use, try "Root App Delete".

Last edited:

Pawprints1986

Mar 26, 2014
Question... Or, an observation anyway... Sorry to bring back an old thread but I've been wondering a similar thing

On my newer device, Samsung Galaxy s5 neo, play services are needed to run the play store. *however*, on my older device, Samsung captivate glide, play services are not required to open the store.

Both using stock but rooted software from Samsung.

Why would this be that it's possible on 1 but not the other?

Unless maybe because I have already debloated my older device, maybe removing other gapps is what it would take?

I don't have a data plan and therefore wouldn't use much if any of them (maps, etc)

It just has me wondering what has changed between the 2, and maybe even if I'd be able to use and run my other devices play store app, and then use disable service to stop it from fully updating?

Hmm... I know everyone else has likely given up long ago.... But I've been curious today.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I came across an interesting workaround today regarding the annoying refusal of Google Play Store to run when Google Play Services is not enabled. Running the following in a terminal will disable a component of Google Play Services that prevents the check when you start the Play Store:

Code:
    pm disable com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.recovery.RecoveryService

Note: I have not tested this enough to know if there are any significant drawbacks yet.

I can say that this will finally allow Google Play Services to be greenified (although other components such as Google Backup Transport seems to occasionally prevent greenification). In addition, it seems to stop all those logs from being written to /data/system/dropbox/, which I personally found to be very irritating, and found the alternative solution of setting the folder to read-only to be problematic.

I tried and failed. There's no workaround. >.< Play Store needs Google Play Services in order to work properly. :eek: