Quake 1 (w/OpenGL) on Windows RT

Search This thread

bfosterjr

Jan 13, 2013
Sorry for the 'general post' .. but again, I don't have enough posts to have access to the developer section.

Hopefully this will make someone happy.

After playing with Quake 2..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2097092

I took a stab at Quake 1. Code was only slightly harder to port because of the old MGL lib. Anyway.. here it is.. Quake 1 (with optional software OpenGL support --- VERY SLOW)

Game runs very well (non-opengl) and full screen support works nicely.

Because its difficult to extract, I've included the PAK file from the _demo_. If anyone has any issues with that, please contact me and I'll replace it with a binary package. As is, you should be able to just extract it and run WinQuake.exe (or glquake.exe if you'd prefer a slower experience!)

Enjoy all!

Attachments

• quake1_windows_rt.jpg
    quake1_windows_rt.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,226
  • quake1_arm.7z
    6.4 MB · Views: 3,903
Last edited:

shog7n

Jan 12, 2013
Awesome! Really thank you for your work!:good: I just finished the first episode without bug.
Btw, what files do I need to replace if I have the full version of Quake 1? Just pak0.pak or the entire id1 folder (except the saves)?:confused:

bfosterjr

Jan 13, 2013
Awesome! Really thank you for your work!:good: I just finished the first episode without bug.
Btw, what files do I need to replace if I have the full version of Quake 1? Just pak0.pak or the entire id1 folder (except the saves)?:confused:

You should be able to just copy the entire ID1 folder from the Quake install. I'm not sure if the saves will work or not.. I haven't tried.

Enjoy!

FearTheCowboy

Jan 9, 2013
That's AWESOME.

I remember playing Q1 so much on business trips on my crappy laptop so many years ago.

I'll have to try this out with my surface.

thanks!

mcoot

Jan 22, 2013
Awesome! This is really great. I'm also trying to get enough posts to be able to participate in the discussion / porting of stuff to Windows RT. It's great to see such a thriving development / porting community arise so quickly!

Lumen_Melano

Jan 24, 2013
Superb

This runs incredibly, I thought it would be fiddly, but it just works. I just need to enable mouselook and I am all set. I am also keen to get my ten posts up and engage on the dev thread. I have several things that I think will port over quite nicely.

guitar1969

Feb 1, 2012
I can't control the window that it opened in. Can't maximize (running in small window) and most importantly, can't close the game. All the buttons in the upper right of the window wont work.

Please help. Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry for the 'general post' .. but again, I don't have enough posts to have access to the developer section.

Hopefully this will make someone happy.

After playing with Quake 2..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2097092

I took a stab at Quake 1. Code was only slightly harder to port because of the old MGL lib. Anyway.. here it is.. Quake 1 (with optional software OpenGL support --- VERY SLOW)

Game runs very well (non-opengl) and full screen support works nicely.

Because its difficult to extract, I've included the PAK file from the _demo_. If anyone has any issues with that, please contact me and I'll replace it with a binary package. As is, you should be able to just extract it and run WinQuake.exe (or glquake.exe if you'd prefer a slower experience!)

Enjoy all!