[Q] Push Notifications not working well?

Search This thread

shadowninja23

Jan 31, 2010
Atlanta
Hey guys, so I just got the S5 a couple of days ago and I love it. However, I'm having some problems with the push notifications of certain apps not coming through, yet they do easily on my Nexus 7. They weren't a problem on my Nexus 5, but I have no idea why it's not working properly on a brand new phone like the S5. Each of the apps, like Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to name a few, are all listed to push notifications and they're set in the main Android settings, so I have no idea. Anyone else have the same kind of issues like me?

To note, I've already factory resetted my phone several times, cleaned out the data, caches, etc and still no use. I am rooted though, but I doubt that should make a huge difference, right? And right now, I'm not using Xposed framework, but before when I first noticed the issues, I was. Thanks in advance!

raynan

Jan 2, 2011
Taking a longshot here...but have you updated that Samsung Push Service app through the Play Store (and all other apps for that matter)?

shadowninja23

Jan 31, 2010
Atlanta
if you used Titatium backup to restore any apps that use push, that could be your issue. I restored facebook, instagram , snapchat etc and the push never works when i restore, you need to clear the app out, and just login new for each push app.

Yeah, I did that initially, but that was the first time I got the phone. Now, I've been clearing out the caches and data for each app, uninstalling it and reinstalling it from the Play Store, but still some of the apps don't have the push capability unless I was just in the app or still in it. Some of my problem apps are GroupMe, Snapchat and Instagram. When I had my Nexus 5, that wasn't the issue at all.

Is there anything else I can do to fix this issue?

mnewsome

Nov 20, 2014
Did you ever find a fix for this issue? I'm having the same problem...

Yeah, I did that initially, but that was the first time I got the phone. Now, I've been clearing out the caches and data for each app, uninstalling it and reinstalling it from the Play Store, but still some of the apps don't have the push capability unless I was just in the app or still in it. Some of my problem apps are GroupMe, Snapchat and Instagram. When I had my Nexus 5, that wasn't the issue at all.

ChinDaChin

Dec 17, 2013

Did you ever find a fix for this issue? I'm having the same problem...

Check out TB Restore Fixer on the app store. I noticed that when I did Titanium Backup restore, some of my apps were not working correctly and I couldn't reach certain parts of my storage, etc. After I ran it, it seemed to have straightened everything out. (Requires root, of course)

Hope this fixes your problems!

NoahMayes

Jan 13, 2015
Same problem

I first started having this issue a week ago. I checked all the setting, factory reset, and I ended up switching out the Galaxy 5 through Sprint yesterday. E-mails and FB messenger app was working on data while I was driving home and I thought the problem was fixed. I reinstalled all the apps I was using and over night let the phone charge. When I woke up this morning I noticed two of the folders I made were removed and a widget for S Health replaced the folders spot. Thinking nothing of it I removed the widget and made it to work this morning to find out I had 3 e-mails waiting, a notification on facebook, and another message through FB messenger that did not come through this morning. I am receieving notifications if im on wifi but not through the data now and this is a new phone. I think this may have something to the 4.4.4 release but this is bugging me. Any new suggestions?

rurigokou

Nov 18, 2011
I have seen issues with sprint where phone calls are fine but data wont work in certain areas of the city unless you turn data roaming on it apears that the signals are ok for voice but not for data in thoes areas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

NoahMayes

Jan 13, 2015
Data roaming is checked on, I did go in today and saw a roaming guard on data and turned it off but nothing yet. It's been two months and my push notifications are still not working. Figure I'd come here and bump again.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2011
Im having same issue looks like no one has a solution for this... I get all my notifications while im on wifi but soon as im on data i stop getting some notifications. Very frustrating.