The Z2 screen is polarized (can't be seen in landscape with polarized sunglasses)

Search This thread

Pitchb3nd

Jul 17, 2008
So after some very confusing moments I just figured out that the Z2 screen is polarized so when holding the phone in landscape for example while taking a picture, you can't see the screen if you are wearing polarized sunglasses.

Here you can see it in a video I made:

http://youtu.be/kSWo7yLdfwU

This is the first time I see this in a smartphone, it's a little bit annoying, anyone knows the reason?, maybe the polarizing filter in the screen of the Z2 is what makes it a little bit dimmer than the competition?

pauliebb

Aug 30, 2009
So after some very confusing moments I just figured out that the Z2 screen is polarized so when holding the phone in landscape for example while taking a picture, you can't see the screen if you are wearing polarized sunglasses.

This is the first time I see this in a smartphone, it's a little bit annoying, anyone knows the reason?, maybe the polarizing filter in the screen of the Z2 is what makes it a little bit dimmer than the competition?

pretty sure its to make the screen more visible under water... maybe.

edit: just googled, most phones have it now to stop glare from sun. thats it.

I know polarizing glasses stops water glare.. not sure how itd work under water though.

Last edited:

pauley

May 28, 2010
After seeing this first hand today it's a definite deal-breaker for me, as every pair of sunglasses I own are polarized, and I have no intention of changing that. I never had an issue before seeing the screen of my HTC One X & One M7 outside wearing sunglasses & taking photos in any orientation. Since the Z2 I received this week has a gap the size a credit card will fit into on the bottom left & both cameras are very off center I was going the exchange route but after noticing this today, no thanks. It's really a shame, maybe a future Xperia will be better though.

I found a review that mentions this issue on Pocket Lint: http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/128493-sony-xperia-z2-review

FWIW I have read elsewhere that the HTC One M8 shares this same issue too.

Reactions: KrisPerry

KrisPerry

Oct 23, 2010
It is pretty daft considering most holiday snaps will be taken in landscape with the sunglasses on.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Don MC

Dec 28, 2010
SW Coast
I guess Sony missed this one. Almost all LCD displays have a polarizing filter, but they are usually set to polarize at 45 degrees compared to sunglasses (or vice versa). You can try this by looking at an LCD display (not the Z2, obviously) or your digital watch through your sunglasses and then turning the glasses slowly.

BTW, my Google Nexus 7 tablet is also polarized at 90 degrees. I can see nothing in landscape view.
But my computer display and even the LCD in my car dash can be seen clearly. Unless I tilt my head 45 degrees.

pauley

May 28, 2010
It is pretty daft considering most holiday snaps will be taken in landscape with the sunglasses on.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Exactly! I've hated the camera on my M7 since day 1 and I was excited to finally upgrade to a phone with a high quality camera. Little did I know at the time the Z2 would also be useless on sunny days for taking photos :(

I guess Sony missed this one. Almost all LCD displays have a polarizing filter, but they are usually set to polarize at 45 degrees compared to sunglasses (or vice versa). You can try this by looking at an LCD display (not the Z2, obviously) or your digital watch through your sunglasses and then turning the glasses slowly.

BTW, my Google Nexus 7 tablet is also polarized at 90 degrees. I can see nothing in landscape view.
But my computer display and even the LCD in my car dash can be seen clearly. Unless I tilt my head 45 degrees.

That's pretty interesting, I never really knew how that worked, thanks! I have noticed in some cars I couldn't see the nav screen with my sunglasses on, and I just thought it was a poor quality screen, luckily in my Jeep there's no problem at all though. Now I must find a phone with a legible screen for taking sunny day photos.

X

x102x96x

i

i wanna report this;
at first moment of using my XZ2 i tested this But Display was visible in all angles under polarized sunglasses.
compared by Note3 & Nexus5 >>
XZ2 is better than n5
but worse than note3 while wearing polarized sunglasses

i installed normal visible screen protector (comes with ultraFit Spigen Case)
:good:

juicejuice

Jul 15, 2007
Gold Coast
If you research LCD technology you will see a polarizing filter is required to make the screen work. If you then have polarizing glasses then you will have this issue. AMOLED technology is superior in this respect because it does not involve the use of polarized light.

Reactions: pauley and Ozonep

Ozonep

Sep 28, 2008
If you research LCD technology you will see a polarizing filter is required to make the screen work. If you then have polarizing glasses then you will have this issue. AMOLED technology is superior in this respect because it does not involve the use of polarized light.
Oh, this explains why I didn't have such a problem with Galaxy S4!..

joshnichols189

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago
Is it really that big of a deal to put your sunglasses on your head for the ten seconds it takes to snap a picture?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dc82

jeremy.shi

Jun 26, 2010
Adelaide
Well my polarised rayban does work with the phone when it's in horizontal orientation. It's just quite dim, but it's not completely dark like the one on YouTube.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

beni8978

Sep 18, 2012
After updating to .323 i don't have this problem anymore.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
After seeing this first hand today it's a definite deal-breaker for me, as every pair of sunglasses I own are polarized, and I have no intention of changing that. I never had an issue before seeing the screen of my HTC One X & One M7 outside wearing sunglasses & taking photos in any orientation. Since the Z2 I received this week has a gap the size a credit card will fit into on the bottom left & both cameras are very off center I was going the exchange route but after noticing this today, no thanks. It's really a shame, maybe a future Xperia will be better though.

I found a review that mentions this issue on Pocket Lint: http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/128493-sony-xperia-z2-review

The flaws you mentioned are present on almost all Z2's, so you aren't going to find one without flaws. Also if you are going to avoid a purchase of a phone strictly because you can't lift your glasses up for 3 seconds to snap a picture once or twice a month, then I wish you luck with your other life endevours lol From what I understand most phones with LCD's have polarized screens, so you may not be able to find one that doesn't have it. The Z2 is a great phone I wouldn't consider anything else.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The flaws you mentioned are present on almost all Z2's, so you aren't going to find one without flaws. Also if you are going to avoid a purchase of a phone strictly because you can't lift your glasses up for 3 seconds to snap a picture once or twice a month, then I wish you luck with your other life endevours lol From what I understand most phones with LCD's have polarized screens, so you may not be able to find one that doesn't have it. The Z2 is a great phone I wouldn't consider anything else.

Is it really that big of a deal to put your sunglasses on your head for the ten seconds it takes to snap a picture?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk