How to use Bitpim with the Kin 2(tutorial)

Search This thread

dezgrz

Dec 22, 2010
West Allis
Well I have had my Kin Twom for more then a week. I am probably going to return it, its a shame because it is not a bad little phone. Microsoft and Verizon will be the death of this thing. Know what to do about my cell phone?
Ron

It's a shame to hear that. I'd like to see more progress with porting a different os to this phone to prevent this. Sadly I can't do everything myself..

Loose2009

Jan 19, 2011
I would Love to help. I've been wanting to play with my KIN TWOm, and hopefully fix some of the software problems with it, or possibly port a new OS to it. Though I really only want to port a new OS to it, if I can still keep my Zune player.

Anyways, there isn't much information on modding or the hacking the KIN floating around, so I guess I'm gonna give it try. I don't know too much when it comes to this kinda stuff, so try I will.

johnkussack

Aug 17, 2010
KinTwo owner here. Without possibilities to use CDMA options (only wifi) here, so i do the Green+Shift+L bypass.

Thanks for the above tutorial.
After many attemps, i was able to install into a virtual xp machine :p.

Here i add a list of files that my kin has (if any of you have it activated, a comparison between the list and yours would worth the time). Weird datetimes are probably caused by virtual machine usage.

Code:
01/19/2011  01:02 AM    <DIR>          .
01/19/2011  01:02 AM    <DIR>          ..
01/19/2011  12:52 AM    <DIR>          CGPS_ME
01/19/2011  12:52 AM    <DIR>          CGPS_PE
01/19/2011  12:52 AM    <DIR>          DMU
01/19/2011  01:02 AM                 9 pbm_phone_uid.dat
03/09/1980  02:28 PM                 0 qare_0.qdb
02/29/1980  05:39 PM             1,731 qare_1.qdb
02/29/1980  05:57 PM             1,731 qare_2.qdb
02/29/1980  05:39 PM             1,731 qare_3.qdb
02/29/1980  05:57 PM             1,731 qare_4.qdb
02/29/1980  05:39 PM             1,119 qare_5.qdb
03/09/1980  02:28 PM                25 RDM_DEV_MAP
01/19/2011  12:52 AM    <DIR>          sms
               8 File(s)          8,086 bytes

Directory of \CGPS_ME

01/19/2011  12:52 AM    <DIR>          .
01/19/2011  12:52 AM    <DIR>          ..
02/29/1980  05:39 PM            27,648 CGPSCellDBFile
02/29/1980  05:57 PM                44 CGPSCellDBOtaPosRecord
02/29/1980  05:39 PM                60 gpsoffsets.bin
               3 File(s)         27,752 bytes

Directory of \CGPS_PE

02/29/1980  05:39 PM                52 SvHealthFile
02/29/1980  05:57 PM                 8 SvNoExistFile
               2 File(s)             60 bytes

Directory of \DMU

02/29/1980  05:57 PM               260 10.key
               1 File(s)            260 bytes

Directory of \sms

02/29/1980  05:57 PM            38,610 nv_cd_msg_data
02/29/1980  05:39 PM               111 nv_cd_msg_header
               2 File(s)         38,721 bytes

Here are the test i made (with chances of getting some kind of brick)
Note that language selection is not (noooot) affected by deletion of files.

Deleting an app (bookmark):
Code:
1) Backup filesystem before deleting.
2) Delete the web bookmark from main menu.
3) Make a new backup post-delete
4) HxD file compare shows that files are identical. Bookmarks are not on this filesystem files.

Editing:
Code:
1)Edit file [B]pbm_phone_uid.dat[/B] and set its values to all 00.
2) Reboot the phone.
3) Reboot OK. Phone on same state
4) Dump shows phone didnt altered this file after reboot

Mass Deleting :
Code:
1)Delete every file on subfolders, just keep the root folder and its subdirectories(empties) & files.
2) Reboot the phone.
4) Phone rebuilt most of the files

5) Files rebuilt:

/CGPS_ME/CGPSCellDBFile
/CGPS_ME/gpsoffsets.bin

/CGPS_PE/SvHealthFile
/CGPS_PE/SvNoExistFile

/sms/nv_cd_msg_data
/sms/nv_cd_msg_header

6) Files not on point 5 were not recovered by the kin

Mass Deleting 2, Delete strikes back :
Code:
1)Delete every file on the root folder.
[b]Trouble ahead[/b]: RDM_DEV_MAP cannot be deleted from BitPim.
2) Reboot the phone.
4) Root files are restored OK (all)

Hope it is some kind of good info to move on with the kin hack/modding.

Regards,
John K.

NeoS

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 27, 2008
Somewhere in NL
Good to see you guys are still at it. At least the Kin is not as dead as I initially thought. :D

johnkussack

Aug 17, 2010
Well... unless i am wrong, we werent much further with this filesystem.
Seems like a flashing system and not the phone system itself

Noting that no image folder or videos, or even the files I uploaded to the kin through the ftp client option are here... i'm kinda "sad".

But it's a step forward imo.

millstonemike

Jan 29, 2011
RapidShare Driver

Hi,

New to site and have been following this thread on drivers. If I understand the thread, this driver (KinPixiPreCentroTreo800w_etc_DiagDrivers.rar) is a modem driver. SO I followed the link from the 12/22 post by dezgrz (http://xdaforums.com/show...9#post10017339) and then to Rapid Share driver download page. I slected free and the zip downloaded. I ran the installtion and got something called a "Hot Bar" with its icon shown in the notification area. I uninstalled this stuff.

What wrong turn did I take?

Thanks

robosllim

Jan 10, 2011
I don't have anything to contribute myself, but I've been watching a thread on Microsoft's "Answers" site. I can't post the URL, but... um... Search "kin twom programming answers" on Google and it should be the first hit.

Anyway, towards the bottom, MicroNateDram makes a few posts with what seems to be useful information. I've got no experience on this end (I'll be excited to work on developing apps or whatever once things get off the ground), but hopefully someone will find this useful.

kintwouser

Feb 4, 2011
Bitpim procedure above worked for me.
Most of the folders were empty and the ones that were in hex were mostly zeros also.
Just showing that the above procedure does something however I doubt it is usefull.

.996 Other CDMA Phone: Listing files in dir: '.efs_private'
21:49:01.042 Other CDMA Phone: Failed to list files in dir .efs_private
21:49:01.059 Other CDMA Phone: Listing subdirs in dir: '.efs_private'
21:49:01.059 Other CDMA Phone: X recurse=0
21:49:01.121 Other CDMA Phone: Failed to list dir .efs_private
21:49:06.464 Other CDMA Phone: Listing files in dir: ''
21:49:06.667 Other CDMA Phone: Listing subdirs in dir: ''
21:49:06.667 Other CDMA Phone: X recurse=0
21:49:06.684 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=.efs_private
21:49:06.700 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=CGPS_ME
21:49:06.714 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=CGPS_PE
21:49:06.730 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=DMU
21:49:06.746 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=export
21:49:06.762 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=hdr
21:49:06.778 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=nvm
21:49:06.792 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=sfs
21:49:06.809 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=sms

Last edited:

johnnyrunon

Feb 6, 2011
I really want the bitpim to work on my kin twom , I have followed your instructions and downloaded and installed the 32 bit drivers you provided, I just cant figure out what i am doing wrong, maybe bitpm is not working, it does not pick up my phone at all
Your help in this matter will be appreciated.

kintwouser

Feb 4, 2011
I got cdma workshop to read some of the kin twom but i need help from the experts as what to do next.
Software said pmx_4704
I am just trying to help.

mcdietz

Dec 18, 2010
Boston
That is positive news. Could you give some more info about what stuff CDMA Workshop was able to read, such as filetypes, etc. Good work, its been slow going, but we will figure this out.

mcdietz

Dec 18, 2010
Boston
One more thing I have been wondering about is the driver that we are using for the phone in CDMA diagnostic mode. It seems as though some of the commands might be wrong since the phone doesn't seem to respond back to Bitpim when Bitpim tries to connect. Unless I am wrong the phone gives no response. I have been looking at the driver, namely the file that I have attached. I have only modified the name of the kin device in file, as I have been testing it.

When you open it in notepad, etc. the second half is filled with the different responses that the phone is to give when it is queried. I haven't noticed anything in particular, that is out of place other than a few lines of code that have been commented out.

Attachments

• qcmdm.zip
    4 KB · Views: 115

iSparhawk

May 1, 2009
Kintwouser,
Can you do a directory of the subdir=nvm ? It sounds like most of what can be seen through bitpim is the RAM based filesystem. subdir=nvm may be the non-volatile memory (flash) link in the file system.

CE can mix RAM and flash into one logical file system. Some directories can be flash and others can be RAM that get recreated on boot. Also most critical files are hidden if they are in the filesystem.

Another method commonly used is to divide the hardware flash into three partitions, bootloader, OS and file system. The bootloader and OS partitions are typically just binary partitions so we would need to be able to run some program to get to these if this is the case.

kintwouser

Feb 4, 2011
Attached is my cdma workshop session. I hope I blacked out the right areas. I am guessing my results are of no use.
I could send the password 0000 and it did respond with it unlocked. Other CDMA features would reboot the phone and some needed the full registered version. I thought no one else could connect using cdma workshop so I was prematurely excited.. My cdma workshop was a beta and expired so I have not had a chance to get it going again. Perhaps on another computer. Let me know if I can help but remember I am new at this and probably naive also.
Thanks

kimnamcdmareva.jpg

johnkussack

Aug 17, 2010
Yup, i was able to connect inside my virtual machine with several CDMA software. Just the one that was ready to read from COM3 (in my case).

Unfortunately, i have no **** idea of what to do with the options that the programs provided. No more files appeared from the list we have above.

dmoore45

Feb 25, 2011
What Phone Model Do you Use in Bitpim?

I've gotten everything to work so far, but in Bitpim I don't know what phone model to choose? I've tried a variety of models with some filesystem information popping up. What model did you use?

Thank you for the helpful tutorial!

sortmasivci

Mar 2, 2011
Hey guys. I got the KIN TWOm today and i like it but it's a bit...stupid. :/

The only thing i really want is Opera Mini 5 as the web browser so i can surf the web better and watch youtube vids and what not. I followed the tut but it is really frustrating because after i set the COM port it BitPim still does not detect my phone. There's some files in the Filesystem but i have no idea what they are or what they mean. Anyway you guys can help me out with my issue on throwing Opera Mini 5 on the KIN? Would be Greatly appreciated. Thanks :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

dezgrz

Dec 22, 2010
West Allis
Hey guys. I got the KIN TWOm today and i like it but it's a bit...stupid. :/

The only thing i really want is Opera Mini 5 as the web browser so i can surf the web better and watch youtube vids and what not. I followed the tut but it is really frustrating because after i set the COM port it BitPim still does not detect my phone. There's some files in the Filesystem but i have no idea what they are or what they mean. Anyway you guys can help me out with my issue on throwing Opera Mini 5 on the KIN? Would be Greatly appreciated. Thanks :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

You already can watch youtube videos on the phone. You might want to read first before you come on here posting stupidly. There is no opera mini designed to run on this phone and even if there was we have no way of putting it on the device. This bitpim tutorial is how to get bitpim to see some files on the device but we don't even have a use for it right now.

sortmasivci

Mar 2, 2011
You already can watch youtube videos on the phone. You might want to read first before you come on here posting stupidly. There is no opera mini designed to run on this phone and even if there was we have no way of putting it on the device. This bitpim tutorial is how to get bitpim to see some files on the device but we don't even have a use for it right now.

you don't have to be so rude pal.
I got the phone and when i go to youtube.com to watch something it says i cant watch video on this phone. It doesn't have a youtube app or any apps for that case. I got it from Verizon if that makes any difference. But that sucks that Opera Mini won't work with the phone :((

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you for putting the tutorial together (and posting the pre-fixed drivers)! In case anyone else runs into the same hiccup I did - the drivers are for 32-bit OS, not 64-bit OS. Once I used the right system, the drivers and BitPim worked like a champ.

Thanks again!
    You forgot to change the usb to serial mode at the ##PROGRAMNITT menu

Otherwise you wouldnt see KIN as device name.

nuff said.