'Touch Settings' Program for Vogue (aka Sprint Touch)

Search This thread

Haggar

Jun 28, 2007
First - thank you to Carlos for his hard work on the original version and now for taking the time to update it for those of us using Sprint's touch. I'm starting this as a separate thread since the new beta version will have many issues unrelated to the original versions.

And, unfortunately, I get to start off with my first issue which occurs upon execution of the program.

A few moments after starting the program I get the follow error message...
System.ArgumentException: An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found at Microsoft.AGL.Common.MISC.HandleAr() at System.Drawing.Bitmap._InitFromMemoryStream() at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor() at TouchSettings.Form1.load PBpictureFromPath()

And then the error message scrolls off the screen without scroll bar for me to see what else it says... :(

Upon clicking the "OK" button, the program continues to load to the App Launcher screen.

Upon load, the App Launcher screen is empty. The screenshot, icons, path and program title are not populated.

When I click on the empty box where the screenshot should be located I get the same as as before and the program exits.

I can populate the App name and path fields and can also ad an Icon -- but only for one program. When I save and reset however, the app name, path and icons are not retained.

When returning to the program after the first entry, I continue to receive the same error and the App Launcher screen is again blank.

In Media Hub:

First - the screenshot displayed is from the other version of the Touch screens...with the bluegreen icons -- not yellow. I assume you know that, but just wanted to mention it.

The "Sprint Music" fields default to the ATC Audio Manager which, to my understanding, does not come on the Touch. I've already installed AudioManager so the link worked fine -- but I'd suggest defaulting it to Sprint's Java-based Music ap just like the stock set up (less confusion for noobs)

Sprint TV seems to work as expected.

On Demand also worked as expected.

I changed the settings for On Demand to point to \windows\HTCAlbum.exe, however, and upon re-boot I received the following error when trying to run it from the cube:

The file " cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. If the problem persists, try reinstalling or restoring this file.

(and that single quotation mark after the words "The file" is exactly what displays)

Weather appears to display properly. I haven't had a chance to test the auto update feature yet.

On the bright side - the About screen works perfectly. It's just as easy to send Carlos a beer as it was before!

Given that we'll soon have a Vogue forum started I also assume you'll probably want to update the Support Thread to include a link for "Sprint Support"??

Whew. That's all for the first 10 minutes. :)

THANK YOU CARLOS! Your hard work is appreciated!

poe019

Jun 24, 2007
Same problems still having problems with the app loader portion of the settings. The other settings work as they should.

ambush276

Nov 12, 2007
ok well i made custom PNG's for Slingplayer mobile and opera, if anyone needs custom images let me know im makin em. BUt i need the sprint program to implement the images!

utexascg

Jul 14, 2007
the original "Touch Settings" program that you're referring to will work with the Sprint Touch without any problems. You just have to know what you're doing....

Step 1: Download TaskMgr and copy to your phone. Place TaskMgr in the \windows\start menu\programs\ folder of your device.

Step 2: Run the TaskMgr program you just put on your device. Upon opening TaskMgr, a list of running processes will be displayed. You want to terminate the following processes; biotouch.exe, quickdial.exe, mediahubmini.exe and aplauncher.exe. To do this, select each one individually and then tap the "Close" button on the bottom of the screen.

Step 3: Download and install the TouchFlo Alpha cab below.
- 3a: upon successful completion of the installation you will be prompted to "Reset" your device. Click "NO".

4. navigate to the \windows\startup folder and delete any new links that were created.

5. navigate to the \windows\start menu\programs folder and delete "touchflo"

6. Download and install the Touch Settings Cab below. Again, at the completion of the installation it will prompt you to restart your device. SELECT NO!. You are not ready to reset your device just yet.

7. Now that you've killed the 4 processes, installed the touchflo alpha cab and the touch settings cab, we're almost done. Navigate to the \windows\startup folder and delete the mediahubmini link.

8. Soft Reset Device.

9. Launch "Touch Settings" program from the Start Menu.

10. BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES TO THE CUBE CLICK "SAVE". WAIT APPROXIMATELY 1 MINUTE AND THEN SOFT RESET AGAIN.

11. Run Touch Settings again and start customizing.

Hope this helps.

Later

abeery

Jun 12, 2007
Honeoye Falls, NY
the original "Touch Settings" program that you're referring to will work with the Sprint Touch without any problems. You just have to know what you're doing....

Step 3: Download and install the TouchFlo Alpha cab below.
- 3a: upon successful completion of the installation you will be prompted to "Reset" your device. Click "NO".

6. Download and install the Touch Settings Cab below. Again, at the completion of the installation it will prompt you to restart your device. SELECT NO!. You are not ready to reset your device just yet.

Not sure what and where to get these cabs... can you provide links? (especially first one)
TouchFlo Alpha cab? Touch Settings Cab (is ths 1.22 or 1.29?)

carlosp_uk

Aug 25, 2005
I'm starting this as a separate thread since the new beta version will have many issues unrelated to the original versions.
Hi guys and thx Haggar and others for bug reports - I think I may have some theories as to what's going wrong.

I made a new test build for you to try out - the CAB is attached below. (REMOVED, SEE LATER POST FOR UPDATED VERSION) Please install and let me know how you get on. It should create a log file called log.txt in the app directory which you can attach to your post in case of any problems:

QUESTIONS:

1. Does it now work?
2. If not, what happens?
3. If not, please attach the log file.
4. When you go to the "About" screen, it says "Detected Device:" at the top - what is the detected device?

@utexas - I'm not sure what your instructions are referring to, but please ignore these peeps, as it would be best for us to try to get the app working properly with the Sprint without resorting to loading older versions of the TOuchFLO software onto your devices.

Finally, does anybody have a Sprint that they HAVENT yet installed Touch Settings onto? If so, please could somebody zip up a copy of \Windows\MediaHubMini.exe for me from your Sprint device and send it to me? This should be BEFORE installing any Touch Settings software, as this patches over the executable, and I'd like a copy of the NEW MediaHubMini.exe that comes with your device, so I can see if I need to release a new patch. If anyone has recently hard reset their device, then the file will be on your device unaltered.

Thanks for the nice comments peeps.

Carlos

Last edited:

mark1581

Jun 23, 2007
Alexandria
Here you go Carlos. I have never installed Touch Settings on my Sprint Touch.

What exactly is Touch Settings? Could someone tell me, or point me to the original thread? Thanks.

Attachments

• MediaHubMini.zip
    21.4 KB · Views: 76

abeery

Jun 12, 2007
Honeoye Falls, NY
Thanks Carlos... I've attached the log.txt file... still generating errors... looking for bitmaps (brns) that it cannot load... example... looking for \windows\AL_03.brn... this file is indeed located in the indicated location so not sure what the problem is...I tried to make and save a change to the launcher and now I get no images in the 3x2 launcher.

Attachments

• log.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 27

Haggar

Jun 28, 2007
Thanks Carlos... I've attached the log.txt file... still generating errors... looking for bitmaps (brns) that it cannot load... example... looking for \windows\AL_03.brn... this file is indeed located in the indicated location so not sure what the problem is...I tried to make and save a change to the launcher and now I get no images in the 3x2 launcher.

Other than the time of day, his log file looks identical to mine...so I won't bother uploading...

handlez

Nov 18, 2007

same here. but what i figured out about "no images in the launcher" is the path are all set to "\\" instead of just one "\". so i use memmaid to fix it in the registry and the cube is fine again.

carlosp_uk

Aug 25, 2005
OK everyone

Thanks for all the log files etc. It's now very clear what the issue is - simply that the newer version of the touch uses BRN files instead of PNG files for its icons! BRN is a proprietary format, basically a BMP with header information removed and some other changes; there's information elsewhere on this site about it.

So... ...to get Touch Settings working on the Sprint, I'll have to build BRN support into the program, which is going to involve:

1. Studying the file format and finding out more info. ([HREF="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=325424"]this thread[/HREF] is a good starting point)
2. OR approaching the author of the BMP2BRN program to ask if he'd allow me to use his source code inside Touch Settings.

....if anyone can help with either of these, please do! Touch Settings is written in vb.net CF.

Until then, might I suggest you go about trying to use .PNG files instead for the time being, and report back to the forum to let us know if they work instead of BRN files! I will release a new build of Touch Settings asap which side-steps the error messages and displays blank icons for the time being, just so as you can use the program.. ..it will work fine, it just won't display the icons for you!

Carlos

Here you go Carlos. I have never installed Touch Settings on my Sprint Touch. What exactly is Touch Settings? Could someone tell me, or point me to the original thread? Thanks.

Mark, thanks ever so much for this - will be very helpful! Original thread about Touch Settings - and what it is - here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=324556

killabee44

Mar 25, 2006
South Florida
log file...

My log file also had the same info. Thanks for all your hard work Carlos. A friend of mine also has a touch that does not have any settings program installed. Let me know if you need any other files.

ambush276

Nov 12, 2007
lol i had a post earlier about PNG and BRN files. Basically i want to be able to just chang the icons text and path. I dont care about the BG color, how how the cube rotates. I made my own CUstom PNG's for the 3X2 launcher, and i made a custom one for the media hub. I made them all the same size on accident, but for the sprint touch do i need to convert the PNG's to BRN files then where do i save them in my phones directory?

anyone have the dimensions for the 3X2 and the media hub. I made them all

119 by 105. ?? Is there an easy way to change the size to the size for the media hub because i believe that is the size for the 3X2. Any help is appreciated!

abeery

Jun 12, 2007
Honeoye Falls, NY
OK everyone

Thanks for all the log files etc. It's now very clear what the issue is - simply that the newer version of the touch uses BRN files instead of PNG files for its icons! BRN is a proprietary format, basically a BMP with header information removed and some other changes; there's information elsewhere on this site about it.

Carlos,

I see from reading another thread you've already got the source code for "BrnConvert"... does this meet your needs or do you need anything else?

Let us know what we can do to aid your efforts... 1.29c was close but I had to clean up my registry to remove all the double slashes in the image and program paths and obviously the brn issue you noted...

Again thanks for you great work on this...

Everyone else... don't forget to buy this man a beer at his Fatattitute.com web site

carlosp_uk

Aug 25, 2005
Hello everyone - I think I may be nearly there!

I've certainly got BRN support working on my original touch, anyway, so let's see if this new build works for you.

CAB file attached below, usual installation instructions apply. (see this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=324556)

Please let me know if the icons are displaying correctly, and any other feedback re: usage. Should be the correct colour mediahub logo too!

Carlos

PS: Sprint owners, for completeness, you may want to copy the newer mediahubmini.exe into your \Windows\ directory (attached) as my prog overwrites it with a slightly older version. My tests have shown this shouldn't be a problem, but it's up to you. Note to older Touch users: do NOT use this newer version of mediahubmini.exe you will run into problems with your touch screen.

Attachments

• MediaHubMini_sprint_original.zip
    21.4 KB · Views: 56

ambush276

Nov 12, 2007
so we install the cab then just replace the EXE file after.

also carlos, if i want to make my own icons

1. can they be the same size for the media hub and 3X2

2. Do they need to be BRN style, i made them PNG (but i can convert to BMP then to BRN.)

3. Where do i save them on my phone.

4. i have the sprint touch!

thanks carlos