[Q] For those with their Nexus 4, is the earpiece making a screeching noise?

Search This thread

losimagic

Nov 12, 2007
If I place my Nexus 4 against my ear, I can hear high pitched screeching and some popping coming from the earpiece, even when a call is not taking place. At first I thought it was a heat issue, maybe some capacitors or something getting a bit hot and whistling, so I turned the phone off and the noises stopped instantly.

This is pretty annoying and surely shouldn't be happening :(

Reactions: ordevski

rshea

Apr 30, 2011
Yes, mine too

If I place my Nexus 4 against my ear, I can hear high pitched screeching and some popping coming from the earpiece, even when a call is not taking place. At first I thought it was a heat issue, maybe some capacitors or something getting a bit hot and whistling, so I turned the phone off and the noises stopped instantly.

I'm glad you posted that, mine does it too - and I thought I had a faulty phone.
According to support I'm the first to report such a problem, have you called support about it? - 0800 328 6081.
The more of us that call, the better the chance it's sorted (if it's possible).

I can't live with that noise, it's too loud for me as I have sensitive hearing on interference like that.
So it looks like I'm sending mine back for a refund and go buy a S3 :(

It does sound like poor build quality in suppressing electrical interference to the ear speaker, as you say capacitors or even a processor is leaking noise to that speaker in the same way cell/mobile radio causes to external speakers when brought close to them.

losimagic

Nov 12, 2007
I'm glad you posted that, mine does it too - and I thought I had a faulty phone.
According to support I'm the first to report such a problem, have you called support about it? - 0800 328 6081.
The more of us that call, the better the chance it's sorted (if it's possible).

I can't live with that noise, it's too loud for me as I have sensitive hearing on interference like that.
So it looks like I'm sending mine back for a refund and go buy a S3 :(

It does sound like poor build quality in suppressing electrical interference to the ear speaker, as you say capacitors or even a processor is leaking noise to that speaker in the same way cell/mobile radio causes to external speakers when brought close to them.

I returned it to the store for a refund - they refused to swap it for another as they couldn't hear it :mad: . I've ordered another which I should get tomorrow, and if that has the same issue I'm not sure what to do - it doesn't really sound like something that can be fixed through software, does it?

I asked on another forum and one person replied saying that there's was ok, but maybe they're ears just aren't as sensitive as ours.

I remember as a kid, I could hear CRT TVs from a long way off (no sound was coming through the speakers) and nobody else could.

rshea

Apr 30, 2011
I returned it to the store for a refund - they refused to swap it for another as they couldn't hear it :mad: . I've ordered another which I should get tomorrow, and if that has the same issue I'm not sure what to do - it doesn't really sound like something that can be fixed through software, does it?

I asked on another forum and one person replied saying that there's was ok, but maybe they're ears just aren't as sensitive as ours.

I remember as a kid, I could hear CRT TVs from a long way off (no sound was coming through the speakers) and nobody else could.

I think you're right, I too always heard a CRT working (I still can when I see one working!)
Maybe we're hearing interference the average user is not going to hear.

If anyone else is reading this and owns a Nexus 4, try calling your voicemail (which I assume would be free for you) - during the call wait for a few seconds and listen carefully, it's more obvious when you're not talking and in a call.
The noise is almost like having a small fly trapped between the phone and your ear at times, it also reminds me of the noise a hard drive makes at times and most of us know what that sounds like.

losimagic

Nov 12, 2007
I think you're right, I too always heard a CRT working (I still can when I see one working!)
Maybe we're hearing interference the average user is not going to hear.

If anyone else is reading this and owns a Nexus 4, try calling your voicemail (which I assume would be free for you) - during the call wait for a few seconds and listen carefully, it's more obvious when you're not talking and in a call.
The noise is almost like having a small fly trapped between the phone and your ear at times, it also reminds me of the noise a hard drive makes at times and most of us know what that sounds like.

I got it even when I wasn't on a call - a few seconds after powering up the phone and it was there

florian3000

Mar 11, 2012
You guys are nerds :D

No, I can feel your pain! Hopefully you guys can sort this out and this is in general not a common problem with the N4.

raze599

Nov 1, 2010
Birmingham
It seems to be an issue with the electromagnetic shielding. I get this problem when I am next to my sound system and amplifier. Those things arent shielded. Now in school where theres basically nothing else here my earpiece is completely clean. Not even a hiss.

Hallucinogen775

Account currently disabled
Dec 20, 2010
Usa
meettomy.site
does it also emit a sound when it is swithced on, but the screen is off? i remember i had sth. like this (high-pitched sound) on my first google nexus s, but it was clearly coming from the screen rather than the earpiece.

losimagic

Nov 12, 2007
Received a replacement today - it's A LOT better. There's still a very feint buzz, but it's barely noticeable.

losimagic

Nov 12, 2007
does it also emit a sound when it is swithced on, but the screen is off? i remember i had sth. like this (high-pitched sound) on my first google nexus s, but it was clearly coming from the screen rather than the earpiece.

Yes, even did it without a simcard inside. Definitely coming from the earpiece, if I moved my ear down the phone it was quieter/silent.

G405T

Dec 9, 2011
Definitely getting the same issue with my N4; screen on or off. Can't imagine this being fixed by firmware, sounds like a bad hardware design.

I'm also once of these people who gets irritated by the sound of DVD Players/VCR/TV etc. But two other people I have shown seem to think its an issue too.

rshea

Apr 30, 2011
It's good to read a replacement was better, that's made my day.

The problem is certainly a electromagnetic shielding issue with the earpiece, I can stand in a middle of a field and it has that sound you often get from PC or Hi-Fi speakers when you stand close to them.
But with the earpiece you can't move it of course - so clearly a design flaw, and hopefully only on a batch?

That said, it does seem to be an intermittent fault, I've also noticed it doesn't happen within the first 10-30 seconds of a call. I wonder if the phone stops all background processes during the start of a call, but then later kicks in which causes those noises.

estallings15

Apr 22, 2011

I can hear the high pitched noise from a CRT from, like, 100'. Can a lot of other people really not hear them? Also, deer/dog/insect deterrents that people use in their homes and yard give me an instant headache from the sound. Great. This does not bode well. Oh well, I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

rshea

Apr 30, 2011
I can hear the high pitched noise from a CRT from, like, 100'. Can a lot of other people really not hear them? Also, deer/dog/insect deterrents that people use in their homes and yard give me an instant headache from the sound. Great. This does not bode well. Oh well, I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

Exactly that, those who can't hear those audible repellents for pets, or not hear the Apps available which also emit very annoying high pitch sounds - then would not be bothered by the noise we mention here.
I'm certain if I took my N4 into a shop, the typical response from staff would be "we can't hear it"

Reactions: estallings15

Bonkers

Feb 28, 2007
I have this issue with my phone as well. Screen on or off. Charging or not. Noise is still present.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, here's my story and it might be usefull to some:

I initially ordered three devices and replaced two of them several times. 2 times for the first schreeching unit, and 3 times for the second one. Consequently, i had 8 devices to compare sometimes side by side. And let me tell you this: This is NOT a rare issue since 5 out of 8 where totally defective ! But the good news is that all devices are not impacted in the same proportions: It goes from impossible to ignore to hardly noticeable.

I was also looking into other issues like excessive heat, thermal throttling or vibrations ... But I'm still not sure there is indeed any major differences between units. Plus, those 8 devices ran different softwares (4.1.2, 4.2.0 then 4.2.1) and different apps ... But all devices are definitely not equal considering the screeching noise. This is just not arguable ! The 3 devices i end up keeping are the only ones out of 8 to be nearly perfect about the issue. All of them still produce a VERY LIGHT hum, but it is not a problem anymore since you really have to force yourself to hear it. While the 2 worst devices i had could be heard at 1-2cm in moderatly quiet rooms even with the screen off ! The noise was stronger and very chaotic in conversation, making those phones impossible to use as daily drivers.

Do change your phone as many times as it takes to have a good unit: this is your right. You may not find an absolutly perfect one considering this precise issue, but i guarantee you will get a good unit in the end.
    Just received a replacement from Google. I kind of expected, out of the box, power on, press the back of the phone against my ear and that's it. The noise is still there.
    I tried to help the Google representative as much as I could when I called to report this problem. I called twice. First, he said do a factory reset. I asked him if it was known issue and if a factory reset solved the issue for other customers. He said yes. Well, the phone was making the noise during the factory reset process itself. I knew then it was not a software issue. The only way to make this noise stop is to completely turn off your phone. So I called again I told them about what I found. I tried to refer the representative to this Android Issue #39936, she said no need because they were going to send me a replacement anyway. But I did some tests while I was on the phone with Google support in hope to give them clues on where is the problem. I took a minute looking for my Galaxy Nexus earphones (Nexus 4 doesn't include a pair) and tested if plugging earphones into the N4 would mute the noise since the speakers gets muted, but the noise was still there. It's not the speaker, and as people here pointed out, the noise is most audible when you press the middle of the back of the phone against your ear. I previously tried putting the phone on airplane mode to see if the noise would go or change in nature, nothing.

I'm charging the replacement phone now to 100% and will do a head-to-head battery test against the first phone since I also noticed a battery drain with my N4 and now I'm curious to see if one will behave different than the other.
    Would you guys like to test a custom kernel that most likely makes the sound go away? Its not a hardware issue from what ive seen afaik :)

Edit: cant remember where i saw the issue, will have a quick look at it later :)

Exactly that, those who can't hear those audible repellents for pets, or not hear the Apps available which also emit very annoying high pitch sounds - then would not be bothered by the noise we mention here.
    I'm certain if I took my N4 into a shop, the typical response from staff would be "we can't hear it"