[Q] Nexus 5 Data recovery?

Search This thread

Ashutosh1313

Aug 21, 2011
Mumbai
I rooted my nexus 5 and installed new ROM. Can i recover my data back which was on stock ROM??

PS: I have formatted and installed like 7-8 ROMS after stock ROM so there have been 8 wipes on NEXUS 5!

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I rooted my nexus 5 and installed new ROM. Can i recover my data back which was on stock ROM??

PS: I have formatted and installed like 7-8 ROMS after stock ROM so there have been 8 wipes on NEXUS 5!

Good luck. It is minutely possible by taking an image of the data partition, converting it using simg2img and mounting it as raw on Linux, then running data recovery tools... But its a very involved process and if you have written over the blocks already, then the data is gone... So quick answer, not now, no. If you have an old nandroid, possibly

Reactions: Ashutosh1313

Ashutosh1313

Aug 21, 2011
Mumbai
Good luck. It is minutely possible by taking an image of the data partition, converting it using simg2img and mounting it as raw on Linux, then running data recovery tools... But its a very involved process and if you have written over the blocks already, then the data is gone... So quick answer, not now, no. If you have an old nandroid, possibly

Thank you very much for replying sir! I was actually reading your thread.
And yes I have written over the new data every time i booted into new rom. So to be precise I have formatted and written over the data more than 7-8 times.
SO please tell me how are the chances of me getting the file from Stock rom back?
PS: The files were 3 video files each around 400 mb & I dont have nand backup

Waiting for your reply sir :)

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
And yes I have written over the new data every time i booted into new rom. So to be precise I have formatted and written over the data more than 7-8 times.
SO please tell me how are the chances of me getting the file from Stock rom back?
PS: The files were 3 video files each around 400 mb

Formatting isn't a problem. It doesn't delete the data.

Your memory is broken into blocks (Now This isn't accurate, but lets pretend it is...) so it starts at block 1 and ends at block 100...

You save a video to sdcard and its the first data stored there, it goes to block 1.. The next data goes to 2 etc.

When you format, the entires in the file system are removed, but the data remains, until you overwrite data. Since the file system is empty, after a wipe, the data starts from block 1 again, overwritting the previous data in block one.

Once this happens, its gone forever. So your chance is small....

The only chance you can save data is for example, before wipe, used 8GB memory. After wipe only used 4 GB data.. The last blocks of your previous data set (4 GB) MAY be recoverable.

See attached for visual representation

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: Ashutosh1313

Ashutosh1313

Aug 21, 2011
Mumbai

Your memory is broken into blocks (Now This isn't accurate, but lets pretend it is...) so it starts at block 1 and ends at block 100...

You save a video to sdcard and its the first data stored there, it goes to block 1.. The next data goes to 2 etc.

When you format, the entires in the file system are removed, but the data remains, until you overwrite data. Since the file system is empty, after a wipe, the data starts from block 1 again, overwritting the previous data in block one.

The only chance you can save data is for example, before wipe, used 8GB memory. After wipe only used 4 GB data.. The last blocks of your previous data set (4 GB) MAY be recoverable.

Thank you again! That was really nice explanation :)

I have filled up the storage up to the last bit after every new ROM installation.[ Hardly kept 100-150 MB free space]
So its not possible for me to restore the videos as they were 400+MB right??
Anyways Thank you very much for replying.
Cheers!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

PS: The files were 3 video files each around 400 mb

Thank you again! That was really nice explanation :)

I have filled up the storage up to the last bit after every new ROM installation.[ Hardly kept 100-150 MB free space]
    So its not possible for me to restore the videos as they were 400+MB right??
    Anyways Thank you very much for replying.
    Cheers!

Correct, not possible