[SYSTEM] ATT Galaxy Note Root

Search This thread

KLLSWITCH

May 19, 2007
NOR CAL
blownco.com
im guessing what he means is that when you flash this via odin it will give you root perms UNTIL you reboot then you will no longer have root kinda like the temp root the evo3d started with

Da_G

Inactive Senior RD / Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2007
Riverside, CA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Hi,

I think what Mashi meant to say and didn't explain too well is that this is a pre-rooted /system image, in the form of system.img.ext4 inside of a pda.tar to be flashed via odin.

Both ways result in a permanently rooted system partition, just this way flashes it directly, leaving the stock kernel intact, whereas my method flashes a modified kernel which then roots the /system partition via a script.

Apparently the download site he uploaded it to doesn't allow non-premium users to download files that large.

runandhide05

Apr 3, 2011
Well... a friend got one and wants root as well, and my first thing I told him, pull system, root it, (add su to /system/bin and superuser.apk to /system/app) then flash it back with Odin.
Can anyone tell me that would not work? It sounds like that is what this is...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: JB calhoun

dumbquestion

Oct 10, 2007
Central Valley, California
Well... a friend got one and wants root as well, and my first thing I told him, pull system, root it, (add su to /system/bin and superuser.apk to /system/app) then flash it back with Odin.
Can anyone tell me that would not work? It sounds like that is what this is...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

would really like this but not for $30. Any chance at a diff. file location? Pretty-Please :)

itsjusttim

Aug 12, 2010
SoCal
Thanks da_g for the explanation. Any time you going to work on a sense or ICS port for the device.
Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Sense will likely never happen unfortunately. Ics is only a material of time... just need a leak for our device, the int leak doesn't really help as there is too many differences hardware wise.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Seriously... no other mirror's?

<removed link>

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
    also do we unzip the file? or just flash the zip (like CWM)
    use PDA?

please advise

This is what worked for me:

1. Download mashi's file onto your desktop. Use 7zip and extract it.

1. download Odin 1.85 onto your PC and install it (actually you might not have to install it, just extract it and have it ready).
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=581913&d=1304094576

2. Download the drivers for your phone on the PC and install it. Then plug in your phone to make sure it works -- it seems to take a while to get everything working. If you get an error, try rebooting and try again. Also, try using the cable that came with your phone -- 3d party cables don't always seem to work. If it still doesn't work, try another USB port.
    http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SGH-I717ZBAATT

3. Turn off your phone and uplug it. Take the battery out of your phone, put it back in, and hold the volume down button and power button at the same time. Keep them held down until the phone starts buzzing and you see the Samsung name.

4. At this point you are either in download mode or the phone will tell you to hit volume up, at which point you'll be ready.

5. Run Odin on your PC -- right click and choose "Run as Administrator" just to be safe.

6. Plug your phone into your PC.

7. In the Odin screen, wait until one of the top boxes turns yellow and displays some numbers.

8. UNCHECK all the boxes except for Auto Reboot.

9. Hit the PDA button and navigate to mashi's file that you unzipped.

10. Hit start

11. wait until your phone reboots.

12. If it didn't work, try rebooting and starting from scratch.

13. Papashex says: verify super user app now present. Update super user app (optional).
    This one is difference than Da_G one. Da_G one is perm root but it will increase flash counter. This one flash with Odin but in system level not boot kernel

http://www.filefactory.com/file/c3cd812/n/att_note_root.zip
    Well since no one else was either dumb enough to try this or I'm the only one who really doesn't want to trip a counter on a day old device....I went ahead and flashed this thru Odin! Btw....it works for those still reading this thread.

Please hit THANKS button if I help you, I have low very self esteem, and I crave validation! Sent from my Team EOS ICS Xoom
    In case someone is anxious for this, here is a quick and dirty guide how to do it:

1.) Grab my stock system.img.ext4 from stock odin post
    2.) Boot into a linux with ext4 support compiled into kernel and e2fsprogs installed
    3.) Put the system.img.ext4 in your home folder
    (from your home folder)
    4.) sudo mkdir /mnt/system
    5.) sudo mount system.img.ext4 /mnt/system
    6.) look in /mnt/system, here is the whole filesystem mounted as a folder. you can add/remove/change things at will from here, like adding su to /mnt/system/xbin, theme stuff, whatever. every change is preserved in the system.img.ext4.
    7.) leave the /mnt/system folder so it's not in use
    8.) df -h (note the size of /mnt/system in MB)
    9.) sudo umount /mnt/system
    10.) sudo e2fsck system.img.ext4 (say yes to the prompt asking to create lost+found so it is marked clean)
    11.) sudo resize2fs system.img.ext4 790M (this is assuming df -h read 785MB, I am leaving 5MB free space. You can make this any size up to 1GB which is the full system partition size)
    12.) (optional) re-mount system.img.ext and delete lost+found folder, then umount it. Android doesn't require that folder, we just needed e2fsck to mark the filesystem clean before resize2fs resized it.
    (you should now have a system.img.ext4 at the size you set in resize2fs step.)
    13.) tar cvpf pda-odin-system.tar system.img.ext4

That's it, you've cooked up a custom system.img.ext4 to be flashed by Odin to /system, this is my favorite way to mod a ROM :)
    I will just pay the $12 for the 30 day pass and upload it to my dropbox account for everybody.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium