*No signal strength after multiple flashes and recoveries

Search This thread

killacam1989

Oct 29, 2013
Florida
*No signal strength after multiple flashes and recoveries I have flashed multiple Touchwiz and Aosp Roms as well as restored the original stock firmware. (JediX20 and JediMaster + PacMan 4.2.2 and 4.3 + Stock Firmware Samsung 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 and even updated to 4.3 and downgraded back to 4.1.2) Nothing seems to work sometimes when I boot up ill have signal and my phone will work. Sometimes ill make a call while I have 3 signal bars or more and the phone will just be in dialing mode and after 10 seconds or so my signal will cut off and the call will disconnect saying there is no signal or "out of service area" and as soon as it hangs up my service bars reappear. And then there are times where the phone will show no signal strength at all for the whole time. In all instances data will still work. I have flashed and recovered through odin multiple times but I know the issue lies within the software I just dont know where. EFS maybe? I even thought it was in factory mode and downloaded titanium backup and deleted every "Factory Test Mode" I saw. Still no luck and im bout to the point im about to chunk it. Any ideas of why it is doing this? Any help would be much appreciated. A phone aint nothing if the basic functions of call text and web doesnt work.*I have also tried flashing K7 MA4 J2 and UCAMH3 Modems. None seem to help the problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Possible on the EFS...but that file is really an all or nothing deal...

It is possible to have a bad antenna or radio chip....but I do agree with you on a software fix first...to include a custom APN setup with experimented entries...

I've also heard that arbitrarily bouncing between 4.1 and 4.3 roms does alter the partition structure slightly ...but after looking into the EFS on both frameworks....I've noticed they have the same size and the information is identical...

I wish that I had more help for you....g

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dicksteele

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 4, 2010
California
*No signal strength after multiple flashes and recoveries I have flashed multiple Touchwiz and Aosp Roms as well as restored the original stock firmware. (JediX20 and JediMaster + PacMan 4.2.2 and 4.3 + Stock Firmware Samsung 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 and even updated to 4.3 and downgraded back to 4.1.2) Nothing seems to work sometimes when I boot up ill have signal and my phone will work. Sometimes ill make a call while I have 3 signal bars or more and the phone will just be in dialing mode and after 10 seconds or so my signal will cut off and the call will disconnect saying there is no signal or "out of service area" and as soon as it hangs up my service bars reappear. And then there are times where the phone will show no signal strength at all for the whole time. In all instances data will still work. I have flashed and recovered through odin multiple times but I know the issue lies within the software I just dont know where. EFS maybe? I even thought it was in factory mode and downloaded titanium backup and deleted every "Factory Test Mode" I saw. Still no luck and im bout to the point im about to chunk it. Any ideas of why it is doing this? Any help would be much appreciated. A phone aint nothing if the basic functions of call text and web doesnt work.*I have also tried flashing K7 MA4 J2 and UCAMH3 Modems. None seem to help the problem.

Are you really on straightalk like your profile says? Have you checked your APNs? You've been bouncing back and forth I'm wondering what's in there. Sounds like something in there is not happy.

killacam1989

Oct 29, 2013
Florida
Are you really on straightalk like your profile says? Have you checked your APNs? You've been bouncing back and forth I'm wondering what's in there. Sounds like something in there is not happy.

My apns are fine and have always worked. The problem is not with that but rather signal strength, being able to make and receive calls. Messaging and data work fine.

killacam1989

Oct 29, 2013
Florida
My apns are fine and have always worked. The problem is not with that but rather signal strength, being able to make and receive calls. Messaging and data work fine.

My phone has always worked flawlessly until now. The signal can be normal but when I make a call it rings forever. .. the signal drops..my phone says it's out of service area and hangs up. .. and soon as it hangs up the signal bars reappear. .. in that specific order. It had never done that before until recently

dicksteele

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 4, 2010
California
My phone has always worked flawlessly until now. The signal can be normal but when I make a call it rings forever. .. the signal drops..my phone says it's out of service area and hangs up. .. and soon as it hangs up the signal bars reappear. .. in that specific order. It had never done that before until recently

Well you can try this.

[RIL] AT&T I-317 UCALK7/UCAMC3 RIL Update Packages Collection CWM/TWRP Compatible
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2280462
What is RIL:
RIL is like a driver for the modem
Use the ATTI317UCAMC3RILRecovery.zip

Then grab the ATTI317UCAMC3ModemCWM.zip from here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2274854

Reactions: gregsarg

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
If a radio/ril package doesn't repair the situation for you...and a complete return to stock fails also....(stock contains radio/ril )...
Then you should consider a hardware repair...
The note 2 had antenna issues on some devices...g

Sent from my SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

no signal

If a radio/ril package doesn't repair the situation for you...and a complete return to stock fails also....(stock contains radio/ril )...
Then you should consider a hardware repair...
The note 2 had antenna issues on some devices...g

Greg,

Do you know where I can get details about the antenna issues. I searched several forums that pointed to the usb flex. I just replaced mine and still have the same problem of weak signal and constant signal drops.

Thxs

killacam1989

Oct 29, 2013
Florida
Thanks man ill try this out. Isnt there a way to just wipe the efs, system,data, dalvick, cache in TWRP and start fresh?

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Do "NOT" wipe your EFS FOLDER...and do "NOT " re-partition your device in Odin either...

Simply use TWRP and wipe system ...data....dalvik...and cache...
Also ....you can wipe your internal storage as well if your important items are stored on the external SD....(photo's etc.)..

And as for the antenna question ...just Google it....g

killacam1989

Oct 29, 2013
Florida
I was poking around in my efs folder and went to Factory Apps and found a factory mode script. I opened it up in RB text editor and found that the script said on so I assume that it being on must have had something to do with the call feature. I changed the script from on to off and saved it. Soon after I tried making a bunch of calls its been working flawlessly but in exchange the lockscreen will not show up nor does the option to reboot/power off/airplaine mode shows up. Im going to Keep testing the calls in the meantime.

ibfromoakcali

Mar 4, 2009
Oakland
Im experiencing a problem nearly identical to yours. I have an i317 unlocked using a Tmobile SIM. Everything was working fine until I flashed a rom (I believe I accidentally flashed a rom with a Tmobile radio which boot looped the phone). After fixing the bootloop and flashing the cyanogen mod rom, I started experiencing the frequently dropped signal.

I have downgraded and gone back to stock several times which has not fixed the problem

After reading this thread I changed the factory mode script to off, but it doesn't seem to have affected the radio performance.

I remember reading that the partition could possibly be corrupted in a bad flash. What is the best way to reformat the partion?

Any help greatly appreciated

killacam1989

Oct 29, 2013
Florida
Yea still no luck. But after about 3 days and a crapload of flashes I ended up flashing jedix20 and added the alexander theme..which suprised the hell out of me...the stock jedi had less signal bars like 1 or 2. I flashed alexander theme and my bars are from 2-4 with 4 being the best. Everything seems to be working. I had also did a test and made sure that my Network in setting was registered to the HOME network. That may have played a factor as to why the network wouldnt work even with signal bars. I flashed JediMasterX2 and ran across an issue like that. I flashed the att carrier files and it didnt work. Then I flashed the 7105 version and checked the Network operators and searched for a network. It pulled up AT&T and Verizon and when I chose AT&T and it registered my phone everything started working. I dont really like messing with the system files but I investigated the Jedimaster zip and looked under Jedi> carrier> att> and opened up the cscversion.txt under rb text editor and it showed an incorrect version. I317ATTAMA4....which im assuming was supposed to be I317ATTUCAMA4. Also under the SW Configuration. Xml the csc version was still the same. AMA4 it may be nothing but I would have thought it would have needed to match up. Ill have to look into it some more. I really want to update but hell idk. Might be done trying to flash roms on this device if everything works right

killacam1989

Oct 29, 2013
Florida
Would the phone having factory test and factory mode on the phone affect it any. I seem to have 2 factory mode apps with one being 560kb and the other 84kb. I don't know if those could affect the signal performance

killacam1989

Oct 29, 2013
Florida
Is your phone working now. Do you have details on what you did exactly. Thxs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Tbh. I honestly never got it to work right. I tried for months to get it to work right and to no avail. I ended up selling it and getting the note 3.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts