Nearly Bricked, Please Help

Search This thread

jbeavis19

Jan 16, 2014
Washington DC
The phone is a VZW HTC One. I have S-off with Hboot 1.55, bootloader unlocked and I was rooted prior to the flashing of TIKTAK going sideways. Now I can ADB when i'm in recovery and I can flash new recovery mods. I know this means that I'm not completely done for.

When I let the phone try to boot without going into the boot loader it sits at the green HTC screen with the red distribution statement. In this state it tries to make an MTP connection with windows but it doesn't install the drivers properly.

I don't seem to have an internal file structure. I tried downloading HTC1guru's nandroid backup but TWRP doesn't recognize it in either its zipped form or extracted. CWM doesn't seem to recognize any file system at all. I have to use someone elses backup because I was dumb and didn't move my backup off the device before dropping a bomb in the file system.

TWRP is asking for a password that I don't know (and didn't set) every time it opens

I also tried RUU but I never get to the silver HTC screen.

I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. I'm pretty handy in the IT world but this is my first time flashing a custom ROM, it may be the last. Thanks in advance.

>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.55.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.12.41.1112_2
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 2.10.605.1
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) meid: 99000428178272
(bootloader) product: m7_wlv
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0731000
(bootloader) cidnum: VZW__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4328mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-3c88cdd7
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Just do the 2.10.605.1 ruu (found in santods rom/radio/kernel thread), then " fastboot erase cache ", then " fastboot flash recovery name_of_recovery.img ". From there you can flash a rom, or just flash superuser and be stock rooted.

Last edited:

jbeavis19

Jan 16, 2014
Washington DC
I can't get the phone into RUU. any reboot that doesn't go to recovery or fastboot just hangs on the green HTC screen.

>fastboot oem rebootRUU
(bootloader) [SD_HW_ERR] read data fail in CMD18
(bootloader) CMD18: read fifo failed, retry
(bootloader) [SD_HW_ERR] read data fail in CMD18
(bootloader) [SD_HW_ERR] SD: Read data fail..
(bootloader) [ERR] partition_read_emmc(876): error 17
(bootloader) Start Verify: 0
(bootloader) [ERR] Cmd25 polling status timed out, MCI_STATUS: 0x4C0000
(bootloader) [ERR] sdcc_command: sdcc_poll_status error, rc: 2
OKAY [ 2.156s]
finished. total time: 2.156s

jbeavis19

Jan 16, 2014
Washington DC
Are there any other thoughts out there on how I might proceed before I put the phone in a bucket of water and use my warranty?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

eicos

Feb 20, 2014
Any luck?

Are there any other thoughts out there on how I might proceed before I put the phone in a bucket of water and use my warranty?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JBeavis, I am in a very similar situation to the one you are in. Have you had any luck with fixing it or getting a warranty repair?

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2014
I'm also in a similar situation

One critical difference between the HTC One and the thunderbolt... no SDCard. Which would not be a big deal had I not wiped the phone with no backup (stupid I know) before loading a new rom image to replace it. Now I can't get ADB to recognize my phone in CWM recovery. No sideload. Nothing. I do have S-off and CWM 6.0.4.7 installed successfully. If anybody has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

eicos

Feb 20, 2014
Thanks, @Gizmoe, but I've already been down that road. I think my EMMC is fried. When I get the adb shell going and check /dev/block, I don't see any mmc devices - only ram and loop devices. And when I run cat /proc/emmc, all of the entries are mmcblk0. As with the others, when I try to relock the device, I get a CMD25 error.

I am open to suggestions but fear I will have to try to get a new device. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to do that? Should I go to Verizon or try HTC? And what should I say? This is really a bummer!

Gizmoe

Thanks, @Gizmoe, but I've already been down that road. I think my EMMC is fried. When I get the adb shell going and check /dev/block, I don't see any mmc devices - only ram and loop devices. And when I run cat /proc/emmc, all of the entries are mmcblk0. As with the others, when I try to relock the device, I get a CMD25 error.

I am open to suggestions but fear I will have to try to get a new device. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to do that? Should I go to Verizon or try HTC? And what should I say? This is really a bummer!

Did you try the repair process regardless with the right mount point?
These are the Verizon HTC one mounts
dymygegu.jpg

eicos

Feb 20, 2014
Yes @Gizmoe, the command fails with "could not stat /dev/block/mmcblk0p37 --- no such file or directory". Any other ideas? I appreciate your help.

jbeavis19

Jan 16, 2014
Washington DC
I gave up and warrantied the phone and now it has 4.4.2 on it so no rooting until ther is a method that works and I'm not sure I'll try another custom rom any time soon.
@Gizmoe, thanks for the suggestion, that is an approach that I didn't try, I thought I went through them all.

Last edited:

eicos

Feb 20, 2014
Have you tried it with cache or system? Does fastboot oem rebootRUU give you an error too like the op?

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

You could also hit up Mike1986 to see if he can help you out. He wrote the thread and does help people in irc. It's worth a shot.

Thanks @Gizmoe, I had the same error with fastboot oem rebootRUU as the op. I am 99.999% sure the EMMC got fried somehow. Probably I hard booted the phone at a bad time during the installation or something - or maybe it was just ready to die. In any case I also have warrantied the phone. Replacement to arrive tomorrow. Here's hoping it doesn't have 4.4.2, though it probably will. @mike1986., do you have any light to shed on this topic?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have you tried it with cache or system? Does fastboot oem rebootRUU give you an error too like the op?

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

You could also hit up Mike1986 to see if he can help you out. He wrote the thread and does help people in irc. It's worth a shot.