tom tom 6 wont recognise inbuilt gps

Search This thread

mikealder

Jun 30, 2005
Blackpool Lancs
Other NMEA GPS recever Baud Speed to 9600 on Com 4 should work fine. You can download a voice from www.tomtom.com go to the Plus section of the site and select voices, the built in ones are available for download, what happened to your original? - Mike

Leigh

Jan 3, 2006
Dungannon
thanks for the help, dont know what happened but they all came up not installedhad a look at the extended rom and tried to run the cab but it wouldnt run, but al should be fine now thanks

Leigh

Jan 3, 2006
Dungannon
the gps still wont work, what settings do you have in the gps applet in settings? i cant select com 4 in tom tom what comes up is com9 gps com0 com2 and serial, no matter what it is set to in the gps settings

Last edited:

bigyellowdog

Oct 4, 2006
I'm using tomtom 6.010 and it works perfectly on Xda Orbit.

Settings in Orbit
Program GPS: Com 4
Hardware GPS: None, baud rate 9600
Tick Manage GPS Automatically

Settings in tomtom
Select "Other NMEA GPS Receiver" 9600 on Com 4.

astrodemoniac

Dec 1, 2006
Fribourg
Have you been to the Tomtom options>preferences>GPS>configure yet? maybe that's your problem ??

Mine is set to com 4 by default in the prefs and In built GPS in the TomTom settings. Hope it helps.

EDIT:

Also bear in mind that the program will take about 30 secs to recognize the built in GPS and then it will take around 45 secs to get a signal outside so give it time too :)

low405

Oct 16, 2005
London
Have you been to the Tomtom options>preferences>GPS>configure yet? maybe that's your problem ??

Mine is set to com 4 by default in the prefs and In built GPS in the TomTom settings. Hope it helps.

EDIT:

Also bear in mind that the program will take about 30 secs to recognize the built in GPS and then it will take around 45 secs to get a signal outside so give it time too :)

With 6.02 it takes about 10 seconds for a cold start to get a lock and 3 seconds for a hot start. It uses the QuickGPS files! Mine has usually got a fix by the time I've loaded TomTom and opened the satelite info page!

Phil

Imer

Jul 19, 2005
Bordeaux
I have :
Software tab : port : com4
hardware tab : port not set, speed 4800 bauds
Acces tab : select the item
These are the settings with were set when I bouth the device.

KR, Imer

mikealder

Jun 30, 2005
Blackpool Lancs
Quick GPS is an application on the HTC Artemis and MDA-C-III (Not too sure about the Orbit as I haven't had a chance to mess around with one yet).
It uses the internet or GPRS connection to download a tiny database every 72 hours to speed up the GPS signal acquisition. It is in program files on the device if you have one - Mike

Leigh

Jan 3, 2006
Dungannon
Got It working in the end Couple of Restarts got it going. and to clarify the orbit does Have the Quick GPS aplication, thank you all for your Help

6Tom9

Apr 21, 2008
Hi all,

Seems what ever i do my tomtom6 cant find my built in gps. Try'd to set it to com port 4 ect. but nothing:confused: Any have more sugestions?

If so thx already.

Roman5

Jul 24, 2007
London UK
Hi all,

Seems what ever i do my tomtom6 cant find my built in gps. Try'd to set it to com port 4 ect. but nothing:confused: Any have more sugestions?

If so thx already.

First, make sure your Quick GPS is up to date ( although I'm not really sure just how effective quick gps is, I'm sure I've had a signal without updating in about the same amount of time)

On your MDA, go to Settings/Sytem/GPS.
Click on GPS and in Programs tab, set GPS program port to 'COM4'
Click Hardware tab, set GPS hardware port to '(None)', and set Baud rate to
'4800'.
Click Access tab, tick box for 'Manage GPS automatically (recommended)'

Load Tomtom and go into the GPS Receiver configure screen. Select Other NMEA GPS receiver. Next screen, slide GPS baud rate to 4800 if it isn't already at that. Click done. Next screen, highlight COM4 if it isn't already highlighted, then click on COM4 and it'll bring you to the next screen which shows your current GPS Status.

Make sure you are outside to get a signal. It can take anything from 2 minutes or longer. Mine rarely gets a signal before 2 minutes and sometimes much longer. Some people are very lucky and manage to get a signal within a few seconds, though I've no idea how they manage that.

Also, I've just replaced Navigator 6 with Navigator 7 which is essentially the same but with some different colours, splash screen and one or two additions in the change preferences menus. However, it has a new feature in the GPS Receiver screen which might be useful. It now has Built-in GPS receiver and there seems to be nothing to set after clicking on that. I'm going to go test it now, see if it's any faster or works at all.

Last edited:

malook

Aug 9, 2008
I DID IT YAYEE!!
For HTC TOUCH HD TOMTOM6 i chose 9600 and com2 and its now working.
In mobiles setting i turned all com to none..
cheers!!

maniac.maddu

Jun 20, 2008
First, make sure your Quick GPS is up to date ( although I'm not really sure just how effective quick gps is, I'm sure I've had a signal without updating in about the same amount of time)

On your MDA, go to Settings/Sytem/GPS.
Click on GPS and in Programs tab, set GPS program port to 'COM4'
Click Hardware tab, set GPS hardware port to '(None)', and set Baud rate to
'4800'.
Click Access tab, tick box for 'Manage GPS automatically (recommended)'

Load Tomtom and go into the GPS Receiver configure screen. Select Other NMEA GPS receiver. Next screen, slide GPS baud rate to 4800 if it isn't already at that. Click done. Next screen, highlight COM4 if it isn't already highlighted, then click on COM4 and it'll bring you to the next screen which shows your current GPS Status.

Make sure you are outside to get a signal. It can take anything from 2 minutes or longer. Mine rarely gets a signal before 2 minutes and sometimes much longer. Some people are very lucky and manage to get a signal within a few seconds, though I've no idea how they manage that.

Also, I've just replaced Navigator 6 with Navigator 7 which is essentially the same but with some different colours, splash screen and one or two additions in the change preferences menus. However, it has a new feature in the GPS Receiver screen which might be useful. It now has Built-in GPS receiver and there seems to be nothing to set after clicking on that. I'm going to go test it now, see if it's any faster or works at all.
Hi,
I got Quick GPS updated through Activesync
in Settings/System, I have External GPS... not GPS
In External GPS, I did what you suggested.
Same with TT too

I am still not able to get a lock.
It still get "Waiting for a valid GPS signal..."
What more can I try?
Do I need an external antenna?

--Maddu