Hacking the Boxee Box (Violates GPL)

Search This thread

jebise101

Jan 22, 2010
Well I'm looking for some talent to get the Boxee Box bootloaders unlocked so we can put custom firmware on it and/or XBMC. Boxee is based of of XBMC which is opened source yet the Boxee Box is closed and violates the GPL, see here for more info.

Not only that but they have lied again and again to there customers are now since it has reached EOL, and will only provide one more minor update before they put the maintenance tag on it. People requested they open the box but Boxee still refuses, the firmware still feels like a beta yet they think it's good enough. The firmware is a beta at best and it will become an expensive paperweight soon enough, actually it is for most of UK that have lost all online content. Before that happens to everyone i'm hoping one of you step up :p

The hardware is good just the software is utter crap, I'm sure if i can get some interested developers we soon will be free of Boxee's strong hold. I don't think there security is that good, we have some great talent here at xda and i'm sure it will be hacked rather easily. We already have root (see here) access its just a matter of time and the right people.

This is a company that has given the middle finger to every customer that has supported them, and i think its will be SWEET SWEET justice to have it hacked.

I have started a bounty thread in the Boxee forums so please do consider this. Hopefully i can get some interest and some donations for you guys.

UPDATE August 27th 2013

Thanks to the Samsung/Boxee buyout we are left with a broken product. I happy Sammy purchased them as it had so much potential and i'm sure we will see great future products. But for the Boxee Box its just junk now, but thanks to the hard work of "quarnster" he was able to get XBMC booting on Boxee. I ask if any dev's are willing to lend him a hand with the port and hardware acceleration.

Source

Last edited:

DreamFX

Jan 1, 2011
would love to this boxee box running custom content.....its been rooted in the past and being rooted again isn't going to magically generate interest.....i agree that it can be hacked and should have been by now i just don't think enough ppl have them...

jebise101

Jan 22, 2010
I think all we really need is talented dev, because there s demand for it. I would for sure donate to prolong its life.

TwiztedDotNet

Mar 1, 2012
CA
Aside from the (sometimes) lacking ability to shut down via remote, I have had no real issues with my Boxee Boxes (I have two).
I'm running the most current (non-beta) firmware, and use them to stream netflix as well as various media on my NAS. Although I'd love for this to be fully opened up, I see no real issues with the current performance. Don't get me wrong - I am all for unlocking and going fully custom, but these devices are working for me just fine.

I started off with XBMC (almost a decade ago) when I soldered my Xecuter 2.3b lite chip into my original xbox.
After that, I went a little crazy and equipped each room of my house with one (some chipped, some softmodded). But then HD took over, and the processors just couldn't hang... So I retired my clan of Microsoft hardware and picked up my first Boxee Box. It was fully functional right out of the box, and yes it has had its share of issues, but they seemed to always get worked out. I quickly started to prefer the Boxee layout to XBMC and still feel that way. Not to mention the RF/QWERTY remote (although back-lighting would have been nice). - Rii Mini works just fine for that.

Enough of the history rambling... I'd support this - especially since Boxee has turned its back from the Box, and moved on to a lesser device. I have no intention on picking up a BoxeeTV - the IR remote is the FIRST (of many) issues I have with it.

Reactions: FuzzyFone

jsievert

Jul 14, 2009
Just a heads up, there is already some movement on this front with Boxee+.
forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=64648
boxeeplus.com

Reactions: jump4jay

masterbeta

Mar 1, 2010
actually they are not violating the gpl

you can customize the "look" of boxee box - but cannot remake the firmware since it's signed....

if anyone is reading this - i believe the best method of approach is to access it's boot console (i believe it uses redboot) - method i have tried is direct ethernet connection and the boxee box is at 192.168.0.1 port 9000 - usually you access the console by hitting ctrl+c - i haven't tried ctrl+a though (i found ctrl+a within an iso file - for minicom) - the ctrl+alt+del seems to "freeze" or pause the boxee box.... and no i cannot check at the moment... lol

there is a 2-second window only for the redboot however, i can't find it ;)

good luck :)

oh, and curious as this is:

from buildinfo:
build by root@bamboo-agent-13-ota on Fri, 02 Mar 2012 05:36:33 +0000
boxee 1.5.1.23735
ce_plumb dd2cb6584bd70454ebc4451d414f1ed77bb42b2f

and preflight.sh:
#!/bin/sh

# this is preflight.

# dump kernel
logger -t bxrec.preflight -s -p 0 "dd'ing kernel"
dd conv=sync if=/dev/spectra of=/tmp/kernel.img bs=256k skip=20 count=12

# hash it
logger -t bxrec.preflight -s -p 0 "hashing kernel"
kmdfive=$(md5sum /tmp/kernel.img | cut -f 1 -d " ")
logger -t bxrec.preflight -s -p 0 "kernel md5 hash is $kmdfive"

# if version 1 kernel, copy kernel.1 to kernel.img
# if version 2 kernel (hatung), copy kernel.2 to kernel.img
# else unknown kernel, use dumped version and note hash in mr. wong for support pickup
case $kmdfive in
"9f2ed11d55a3750019d019470212bf36") cp /tmp/upgrade_iso/kernel.1 /tmp/kernel.img;;
"a81c639b7c21d98fdde0b55d4e5356c1") logger -t bxrec.preflight -s -p 0 "doing nothing, this IS kernel.1";;
"d2ed7f9be38c0e0590a5680febd27502") cp /tmp/upgrade_iso/kernel.2 /tmp/kernel.img;;
"68777d9a8fede193ed434cf9a9cd3495") logger -t bxrec.preflight -s -p 0 "doing nothing, this IS kernel.2";;
*) echo $kmdfive >/data/.persistent/.mrwong/boxee.khash;;
esac
logger -t bxrec.preflight -s -p 0 "sync'ing"
sync;sync;sync
logger -t bxrec.preflight -s -p 0 "and we're outta here"
return

anyway... without accessing the box itself before it loads it's internal normal.img (ext2) and dlink_boxee_runtime.img (squashfs) - you are sol :)

the boxeeplus community is at least "hacking" - so does this mean boxee company is finally getting hacker interest? ;)

Vision77

May 8, 2007
Chicago/Minneapolis
My 2 pennies....

Boxee won't open source the box supposedly due to concerns from content providers. 1st off they are closed-sourcing a product which is based off of the hard work of the open sourced XBMC community. What really kind of sucks is that people who invested in the box are pretty much being left out in the cold. I invested in the box because I thought Boxee had the potential to be at the forefront of innovation for media boxes (which in some regards it was). Boxee needs to take a page from Google's playbook. Open source the box and benefit. Or, stagnate innovation and die....its your move Boxee. The set-top media box market will only continue to get more and more crowded. Why not have an army of innovators who will make your current and future products better.

Reactions: barryflanagan

daytonka

Oct 5, 2012
B
Boxee won't open source the box supposedly due to concerns from content providers. 1st off they are closed-sourcing a product which is based off of the hard work of the open sourced XBMC community. What really kind of sucks is that people who invested in the box are pretty much being left out in the cold. I invested in the box because I thought Boxee had the potential to be at the forefront of innovation for media boxes (which in some regards it was). Boxee needs to take a page from Google's playbook. Open source the box and benefit. Or, stagnate innovation and die....its your move Boxee. The set-top media box market will only continue to get more and more crowded. Why not have an army of innovators who will make your current and future products better.

I absolutely agree with you. Desperate situation.

demoncamber

Jan 20, 2012
Coming from a fellow boxee user, it would be awesome to get this opened up. I'm tired of the audio drop outs. If it were hacked that issue could be eliminated and being able to really stretch boxee's legs to show the real power, would be awesome.

DreamFX

Jan 1, 2011
Coming from a fellow boxee user, it would be awesome to get this opened up. I'm tired of the audio drop outs. If it were hacked that issue could be eliminated and being able to really stretch boxee's legs to show the real power, would be awesome.

I never once have had audio drop outs. But have heard that a lot. Strange.

demoncamber

Jan 20, 2012
Use hdmi with lossless codes enabled and play back some dtsma or truehd content.

For me, it happens with .mkv's all the time.

Last edited:

demoncamber

Jan 20, 2012
Dude!!! Never heard of this!!! Thanks I'm going to check it out right now!!!

Sent from my MyTouch 4G

burnes

Apr 9, 2007
Glasgow, UK
You can already install a custom firmware to it, Boxee+

https://www.facebook.com/boxeeplus

http://boxeeplus.com

:)

Thanks - checking this out now. Would still love to have an open system with a variety of choices. My Boxee box has basically been a dust collector since I got it. It sounded great and had fantastic potential, but like so many of these devices, support was not as it should have been and now its been dropped :crying:

EDIT: Ok, had a look at the Boxee+ Hacks. It's good for what it is however it's not really what I was looking for. It's not really a custom firmware, it's more of a boot-time patch that adds a bit of functionality.

Last edited:

linusthaman

Mar 11, 2009
Android

the main problem with the boxee and with boxee+ installed, it´s still slow, realy slow, if we could install Plex on it, the box could take care of the plkayback nothin else, and it would most probobly be faster?
Android or, plex straight into it would be lovley! the hardware is decent ant if i dont remember completly wrong there is stuff out there that uses the sama cpu running android, am i wrong?
xbmc is fine, but there is one problem with xbmc, watched content, if i start watching a movie in my livingroom i want to be able to continue in the kitchen and also know what i have seen and not seen.

Magnusmarshall

May 2, 2012
Unfortunately boxee going to remain just as it is.

Its approaching its end of life as it would have if it had gotten continued support.
Boxee plus adds much needs features but other some minor tweaks it does nothing to fix the the core issues in the firmware.

Would have been great if it was open but for once boxee was probably being honest (go figure) that they were forced to not breach thier contracts with the likes of netflicks.
The added money from sales of box's still out there don't hurt either.

closer9

Jun 12, 2010
xbmc is fine, but there is one problem with xbmc, watched content, if i start watching a movie in my livingroom i want to be able to continue in the kitchen and also know what i have seen and not seen.

You can do it with XBMC, you have to setup a MySQL server to host data between clients. It looks like a pain though. I do agree with you though, having a full Plex client on my Boxee Box would be awesome.

x000x

Apr 6, 2012
i dont know how useful any of this info will be but, boxee uses Intel Atom CE4110 processor. maybe one day, some version of android could be put on it?
i dont know much about it, but didnt intel release an intel atom x86 version of android? http://software.intel.com/en-us/art...ly-bean-installation-instructions-recommended

or, what about google tv? the boxee apparently uses many of the same system components as the logtiech review. logitech revue uses/used google tv. and seems as though there was an update for google tv for the revue recently http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue-and-Accessories/New-Revue-Update-Currently-Going-Out/td-p/906482
so maybe somehow, that could get showehorned into boxee. i know, a lot harder than i make it seem, but just putting the indo out there :p

here are the system specs from ifixit:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Boxee+Box+Teardown/4109/2#s19326

(also mentioned on an earlier page)

Nordic Semiconductor NRF24LU1P (same as logitech revue)
Mini PCI-E wireless card: Broadcom BCM4319XKUBG

some other hardware info http://www.boxeeboxwiki.org/hardware

here is a link stating it has similar hardware as logitech review http://gtvhacker.com/index.php/Boxee and mentions some stuff about rooting.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I'm looking for some talent to get the Boxee Box bootloaders unlocked so we can put custom firmware on it and/or XBMC. Boxee is based of of XBMC which is opened source yet the Boxee Box is closed and violates the GPL, see here for more info.

Not only that but they have lied again and again to there customers are now since it has reached EOL, and will only provide one more minor update before they put the maintenance tag on it. People requested they open the box but Boxee still refuses, the firmware still feels like a beta yet they think it's good enough. The firmware is a beta at best and it will become an expensive paperweight soon enough, actually it is for most of UK that have lost all online content. Before that happens to everyone i'm hoping one of you step up :p

The hardware is good just the software is utter crap, I'm sure if i can get some interested developers we soon will be free of Boxee's strong hold. I don't think there security is that good, we have some great talent here at xda and i'm sure it will be hacked rather easily. We already have root (see here) access its just a matter of time and the right people.

This is a company that has given the middle finger to every customer that has supported them, and i think its will be SWEET SWEET justice to have it hacked.

I have started a bounty thread in the Boxee forums so please do consider this. Hopefully i can get some interest and some donations for you guys.

UPDATE August 27th 2013

Thanks to the Samsung/Boxee buyout we are left with a broken product. I happy Sammy purchased them as it had so much potential and i'm sure we will see great future products. But for the Boxee Box its just junk now, but thanks to the hard work of "quarnster" he was able to get XBMC booting on Boxee. I ask if any dev's are willing to lend him a hand with the port and hardware acceleration.

Source
    For the people who want to play with it you can download my compiled builds at http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?p=460#p460 be aware is in very early alpha stage and allot dont even work.
    You can already install a custom firmware to it, Boxee+

https://www.facebook.com/boxeeplus

http://boxeeplus.com

:)
    from Team Boxee [do-not-reply@boxee.tv] on 7/6/2013:

We’re pleased to announce that the Boxee team will be joining Samsung.

Samsung is the #1 consumer electronics company in the world. They produce all of the screens we watch entertainment on - TVs, laptops, phones, and tablets. We’re excited to collaborate with Samsung on how each of these devices can deliver a more integrated TV experience.

We’re working behind the scenes to ensure there’s minimal impact to your Boxee Box during this process.

The Boxee Box holds a special place in our heart as the first device we built. It was the first living room device to have a keyboard on the back of the remote. It was also the first XBMC-based set top box to be sold at major retailers.

It’s the device that really launched Boxee on the world stage, and we want to thank you for being a part of our journey.

Sincerely,
    Team Boxee

"The Boxee Box holds a special place in our heart" ... that made me throw up in my own mouth, they ditched the Boxee Box so quick it's not even funny...and then left all their customers high and dry, just like all the Cloud DVR customers now as well.

Definition of a sellout = getting your start with open source, then knowingly violating GPL for your own benefit.

Samsung just got duped!
    Aside from the (sometimes) lacking ability to shut down via remote, I have had no real issues with my Boxee Boxes (I have two).
    I'm running the most current (non-beta) firmware, and use them to stream netflix as well as various media on my NAS. Although I'd love for this to be fully opened up, I see no real issues with the current performance. Don't get me wrong - I am all for unlocking and going fully custom, but these devices are working for me just fine.

I started off with XBMC (almost a decade ago) when I soldered my Xecuter 2.3b lite chip into my original xbox.
    After that, I went a little crazy and equipped each room of my house with one (some chipped, some softmodded). But then HD took over, and the processors just couldn't hang... So I retired my clan of Microsoft hardware and picked up my first Boxee Box. It was fully functional right out of the box, and yes it has had its share of issues, but they seemed to always get worked out. I quickly started to prefer the Boxee layout to XBMC and still feel that way. Not to mention the RF/QWERTY remote (although back-lighting would have been nice). - Rii Mini works just fine for that.

Enough of the history rambling... I'd support this - especially since Boxee has turned its back from the Box, and moved on to a lesser device. I have no intention on picking up a BoxeeTV - the IR remote is the FIRST (of many) issues I have with it.