Highly recommend Nova Launcher for S3

Search This thread

starbiker99

Dec 30, 2009
Parker
Google Pixel 6
Google Pixel 7
I own Apex and Nova and am currently using Nova prime as my main launcher. I did just try the new ADW and man it is fast. I would probably switch to it but I don't think the dock works or quite as well or is as customizable. I may play around with it some more but I would have to say all 3 are very nice and better than stock TW. I am glad to be back to Android from my little stint with iOS.This is way more fun!

Shawn

Feb 4, 2013
You should really give adw launcher Ex a chance, I just switched to a minimalist text theme for it and man is it gorgeous.
My main tasy right now is to figure out how to use uccw widgets.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Libertarian73

Dec 5, 2012
Virgina Beach, VA
ADW was okay, but for some reason Nova just seems better overall, and the ability to backup settings so when I switch ROMs I can restore my homescreens, etc. is just awesome. Whatever you do, stay away from trebuchet, nothing but lockups for me.

Feb 4, 2013
I will have to give nova a try, anything in particular that stands out with it?

mav3rick478

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry for being a newb but how do you make folders in nova?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

golfinglenn

Dec 31, 2010
I was almost exclusively on Nova, but just started using Deathstalker Rom with Motomoto theme and some of the theme gets lost when transitioned to Nova. Using the stock tw for now and the only thing I really miss with Nova (well, 2 things) is the ability to backup the launcher (definitely handy when playing with different roms), and the scrollable dock.

Might check out ADW for giggles.:laugh:

Droid2drummer

Nov 13, 2012
I'm assuming this is for noobs? As nova has been out forever. Lol but still nice choice. But I would say to pay and get prime. I've been using it for years.

FistFull95

Mar 11, 2013
I really love Nova, I didn't like the visuals of TouchWiz so I decided to try some launchers, and ended up with this one ^^

feom

Jul 16, 2012
Big fan

I'm a huge fan of nova, i'm not sure if the other launchers have gotten there yet but since i've been using it they've upgraded so you can reinstall widgets when you go to a new rom, always used to be a long part of setting things back up

Natelugo

Dec 17, 2012
Yeah. There are small features that separate the two.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just fyi... the "work around" to get the app drawer alphabetized is clicking the menu button with the app drawer open and then clicking, "view type" and switching to alphabetized. Not exactly complicated. Or even a work around.

Nova is great, but I'm actually enjoying touchwiz. I do want to switch over and play with nova more... But eh, not seeing a huge need. Coming from sense (which I hated) I'm quite happy on tw.

Though I do miss being able to back everything up

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Hey folks,

I highly recommend replacing the touch Wiz launcher with nova launcher. I have found it much more intuitive, and much easier to use. (I am not affiliated with Nova in any way.)

Several advantages:

1. The bottom bar (dock) of apps is highly customizable, with as many apps as you choose. You can also create multiple pages of docked apps, so it's possible to access 10 or 15 apps on the lower dock.

2. The App drawer is automatically alphabetized, unlike touch Wiz, which I find so much easier to use. There are of course workarounds on touch Wiz, but why bother? I just dock the icon for the app drawer on the lower dock so it's always available.

3. Nova has one step back up of your screen layouts so that if you are wiping your phone regularly in order to reflash ROM's, it's trivial to reset your screen layouts by doing a restore from nova. This saves a lot of tweaking time.

4. You can customize the layout of your desktop with variable margins, a persistent search bar on all pages, gestures, and with nova launcher prime ($4), you also get unread counts for SMS, missed calls, and Gmail, which is very nice.

5. Basically everything is customizable and modifiable. I greatly prefer it over the stock touch Wiz launcher. Check out the free version of nova, as it has virtually all the features other than the unread counts.
    I noticed Nova was a bit smoother than Apex for me, so I've been using Nova and loving it :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA App
    Apex and Nova are both based on the stock 4.0.x ICS launcher, so they're very similar, but Apex gives more features for free.

You're definitely making a mistake if you use Go Launcher or ADW or LauncherPro on this phone, since those are Gingerbread-based. The ICS launcher is just a much, much better base.
    I recently purchased Nova Launcher but haven't had the free time to set everything up the way I like it yet.

One thing I did notice was when I hit the home button it asked me which launcher I wanted to use. Touchwiz or Nova Launcher and if I wanted to select one as a default. Since Nova Launcher is completely new to me I choose TW as the default. Once I get everything set up, where can I go to make Nova Launcher the default?

Go into settings and select application manager. Then find Touchwiz launcher under all applications and press clear defaults.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA App