[Q] How compatible is the Verizon Samsung S5 with AT&T / T-Mobile?

Search This thread

Rapunzl

Mar 26, 2009
Yes (I stated in my post that assisted dialing was turned off :D).

It's got to be a difference in the way Verizon and AT&T differ in handling response calls and texts. I'm sure there is a file somewhere that dictates putting the "+" in front, but I don't know enough about the file system to even begin to look.

I'm on Consumer Cellular, which works off AT&T networks, so I'm thinking it's more likely something with you installation or something you froze or deleted? Mine works fine.

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
AT&T Sim in Verizon GS5

When I try to return a call from the "Recents" list, it appends a "+" to the front of the number. I have worked around this with Prefixer app, but would rather find a way to fix it.

When receiving a call, if I try to reject it with a text message, the message appends a + to the front of the number, and the text fails. This is a huge issue for me, because I use my gear 2 neo to answer/reject calls, and that is a feature I pretty much need.

I'm pretty good at digging around in settings and files, but for the life of me, I haven't been able to figure this one out. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Assisted dialing is off, that didn't help.

For others that may be having this issue, download the app "Prefixer", and set up a rule to remove the character + from all calls. That is a workaround for the calling part, but not the text part.

I'm having the same issue. I'm using a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note Edge on Cricket (AT&T) and a Verizon Galaxy S5. Whenever someone calls, I see a + sign in front of their area code and phone number. If you try calling back, it fails because the phone thinks you're dialing an international phone number. I tried "Prefixer" app, and it didn't work for me...or perhaps I just have it setup incorrectly to automatically remove the + sign on all incoming calls. If anyone would care to share their working Prefixer rule with me that gets rid of this + sign, I'd appreciate it.

...and no, I don't believe it's something I froze or deleted. My Note Edge is a brand new stock phone.

Thanks.

Sirshabba

Mar 9, 2015
I'm on Consumer Cellular, which works off AT&T networks, so I'm thinking it's more likely something with you installation or something you froze or deleted? Mine works fine.

It does the same thing on;

stock (rooted) NI2 (nothing frozen except Activation Wizard, APN settings set to stock GS5 settings for AT&T, doesn't work with assisted dialing on or off)

stock OA8 (nothing frozen except activation wizard, APN settings set to stock GS5 settings for AT&T,doesn't work with assisted dialing on or off))

Eclipse ROM (worse on this one. Won't let you initiate texts at all, but you can respond to them)

The prefixer I used was pretty simple. I created a new rule, selected all calls, and remove /+ (you have to put the / in there to get it to recognize the +). Leave all other settings default. It works about 85% of the time.

I am using an AT&T sim card on my work's business account. When I put a Verizon sim in it (and set the APN settings back to Verizon), it works properly. I will be happy to provide any information I can or try anything if anyone is willing to tackle this problem.

kski71

Aug 20, 2007
i have walmart family mobile which operates off of tmobile and cant get a signal for anything on my sg5. i put the apn in and all it says is searching for service. i read thru the thread and i am downloading alliance rom and ne9 firmware. hopefully that helps

Rapunzl

Mar 26, 2009
i have walmart family mobile which operates off of tmobile and cant get a signal for anything on my sg5. i put the apn in and all it says is searching for service. i read thru the thread and i am downloading alliance rom and ne9 firmware. hopefully that helps

Are you using a sim card from Walmart specific to your carrier?

kski71

Aug 20, 2007
Are you using a sim card from Walmart specific to your carrier?
i am using a sim which operates off of tmobile towers.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

When I go into settings and try to change the network from lte to gsm or global, the change doesnt stick...goes right back to lte/cdma.

Rapunzl

Mar 26, 2009
i am using a sim which operates off of tmobile towers.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

When I go into settings and try to change the network from lte to gsm or global, the change doesnt stick...goes right back to lte/cdma.

Have you checked with your carrier? I have CC which operates off AT&T, but I still have a CC sim card.

kski71

Aug 20, 2007
I haven't contacted carrier. I have done this with multiple Verizon phones including Motorola. This 1 is fighting back...lol

airyip77

Nov 6, 2014
Can you send MMS though? I have a Verizon s5 on ATT and I'm having troubles sending MMS messages, they always fail.

Were you ever able to figure this out? I have the Verizon S5: SM-G900V unlocked, running on the latest update lollipop (from Verizon), stock everything, not rooted, nothing extra installed yet, running on AT&T network, and I can't send MMS messages. I've tried countless different APN settings and can't get it to work consistently. I got it to send 2 MMS messages in the past and that was it...each time it took a good 5-10 minutes to actually send. Every other time it tries to send for about 5-10 minutes and then fails. I don't think this point matters, but it's also a refurbished phone, but it works fine.

In the about section, everything seems normal too: Service state for both voice/data = In Service; Mobile network state = connected; network and type = AT&T, HSPA; Phone status = official...

So again, it's an unlocked Verizon Galaxy S5, running on AT&T network. I usually have it on Global mode, but I also tried the "LTE / GSM / UMTS" mode a few times to no avail. Calls, normal texts, data, wifi, everything else works just fine. The settings I used for the APN are shown everywhere in the forums here, but in general, people referred to these two settings:

http://apn-settings.com/us/att-apn-settings/
http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB424489

The only other things I can think of is that I've disabled as much VZ bloatware as I could, but that technically shouldn't affect sending MMS messages right? I use the default Samsung messages app to do mms and texts. Any help appreciated, thanks...I'm pretty stuck and not sure what else to do at this point. the one thing I haven't done yet is gone into an AT&T store and asked for help. I may do that tomorrow or soon.

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
Make sure the photo/video you're sending is less than 1mb. I believe that's AT&T's file size limit on MMS.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

airyip77

Nov 6, 2014
Make sure the photo/video you're sending is less than 1mb. I believe that's AT&T's file size limit on MMS.

You're right that was the issue, I figured it out earlier this morning but didn't get to post till now:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=53119&cv=820

The default messages app in lollipop doesn't allow you to set a limit on the MMS file/pic size being sent, so the pics I was sending was over 1MB. To fix it I had to download another app to use as a new default SMS (trying out Textra for now) app and set the file size limit in there to be < 1MB, and then it worked :victory:

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
How come? You're not sending/receiving MMS through the Verizon MMSC URL.

Rapunzl

Mar 26, 2009
Maybe I'm wrong. I saw some posts regarding MMS not working, and it sounded like that was the most common issue.

allthatinny

Oct 11, 2006
Ok so i just spent all night setting a verizon s5 and i got most everything to a basic S5 with full functions, for T Mobile since i have a t mobile sim, set your phone to "Network Mode" to "Global" then set your APN to fast.t-mobile.com not epc, for some strange reason epc does not work! atleast for me in NYC. and the rest your settings you leave out execept for the MMSC "http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc" now just wait for the phone to reconnect to the tower and you should have full LTE, now for MMS here is the tricky part i think ppl are not getting, DONT USE MESSAGE+ the red icon on the buttom, use the NATIVE TEXT MESSAGE CLIENT, its in the menu under messages. Message+ seems to be some type of verizon software and it will work with basic text but MMS seems to fail everytime!

now to remove that annoying unknown sim error message, you have to root your phone, no way around it! cause the software that error comes from is called "setup wizard" not the one with the android icon! now with that being said, root your phone, download TI BackUP and just freeze ALL THE VERIZON SOFTWARE INCLUDING Setup Wizard that will get rid of the annoying software and its pops from your sight!, and presto you have a fully functioning S5 without the annoying VZ goodies

and dont complain its alot of work cause your the only one that benefits from it, i spent hours perfecting my Verizon S5 and love it!

ill see if i can post the steps more in details later as am at work and try to help as much ppl as i can. :D

mwilsonwa

Dec 25, 2010
Possible work-around

I found you don't need to root your device to get rid of that annoying icon. You can also pull down the notification bar, press and hold the icon and go into the app info. From there you can "Force Stop" the app and the message will clear. Even after several reboots the notification does not come back up, or at least it hasn't for me.

sergiob1

Apr 8, 2008
Has there been a permenate solution found for the dailing issues, using a verizon galaxy s5 on cricket???

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
Dialing issues? You mean the + sign that appears with the area code and phone number? I used Prefixer app to get rid of the plus sign for incoming calls.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

mattnin

Dec 18, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
I'm having an issue with my fiancee's Verizon s5. I'm new to android so please bear with me. We just purchased her this phone with an NI2 build on it. We signed up for T-Mobile and I set up her apn settings. She is connected to 4g, can call and has mms and can send pictures. Problem is that it's slow. It also says she is connected to the AT&T network. My T-Mobile phone usually has 2-3 more bars and much faster data. I compared the speeds using speed test. Can anyone tell me what I need to do? From what I'm reading, I may need to root, enable band 4. Will this solve all the problems? Thanks

mattnin

Dec 18, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Well I rooted. Band 4 was already enabled. I set it to gsm/wcdma/lte. It is still slow and says it is roaming on the at&t network. My t-mobile phone is not roaming. Not sure of the problem. It had fluctuating signal strength. Sometimes it had fast speeds and sometimes really slow speeds. I'm pretty sure apn is correct. It says it is getting 4g. Just low signal strength. Anyone have any tips? I still need to try factory resetting it and debloating all the vzw stuff.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In case anyone is wondering, the phone works in Intl gsm networks, no SIM unlock required.

Source: I am posting this in Australia on Telstra. No VZW towers to be found here!

Sent from my SM-G900V using xda app-developers app
    Try this:

Open up the phone app and go to Menu - Settings - Call. Scroll down to the bottom to "Assisted dialing." Turn it off and see if that helps.

Yes tried that already with no luck so I'm using app Prefixer till I find a permanent solution
    thanks anyways
    I am able to successfully use my VZ Galaxy Note 3 and my wife uses her VZ Galaxy S5, both devices on T-mobile Edge, HSPA, HSPA+ (21mbps), and LTE (band 4) frequencies. These devices unfortunately will not do DC-HSPA+ (42mbps), but that's not a big deal for us because LTE coverage is good where we live. We have no issues with making voice calls, or sending SMS/MMS, and don't have to switch APN's or toggle between Global Mode or GSM/UMTS mode. We leave them on Global Mode with the correct APN settings.

Here's the guide I followed for both (with correct APN settings screenshots to accommodate for MMS on page 4 or 5 i believe):

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2582747

Has anyone figured out a way to get T-mobile's version of ISIS or T-mobile Wifi calling working on VZ devices yet?
    uploadfromtaptalk1415162698783.jpg
    This was my best speedtest so no guarantees this will always happen, could be better could be worse. And I do get mms pictures and texts. I'm located in Wichita, ks.
    there is nothing that says mms protocol on verizon s5
    it has multimedia proxy and port? where do you put wap 2.0
    Use this as your APN. I'm using a G900V with T-Mobile and everything works perfectly (calls, mms, data with full LTE) You will not have to change anything having to do with wap 2.0
    If I did not list it below, then you will not change it. The MCC and MNC ports will also automatically be set at 310 and 260 for you.

Name: T-Mobile GPRS
    APN: epc.tmobile.com
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    APN type: default,mms,supl

Also, not matter what APN you use, the Verizon SM-G900V can not get LTE if you're using an AT&T SIM. The hardware will not allow it. The 900V does not support the band and frequency that AT&T uses for LTE data. The most you can get is HSPA+ (4G) I've seen a couple of Verizon S5's show LTE while using an AT&T SIM, and others may show it as well. But if you do a speed test on it you'll see that it's nowhere near LTE speed. I tested one and confirmed this.