Votes: 281 53.4%
  • NO, happy with Xperia S..

Votes: 245 46.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
Guys don't you think it would have been better off having capacitive buttons instead of on-screen??? I personally don't like the idea of my screen space being taken up by these buttons at any point of time.... I knw its a very trivial issue... But How do u people feel abt it??

Sent from my Xperia Arc S using xda premium

I feel the same way. Would have preferred buttons not part of the screen.

i have been using a HTC which has capacitive button(s), that is you have a fixed keys/buttons - say 2 or 3.

You can do multiple actions on capacitive buttons like "press and hold" "double tap" "triple tap" "press and swipe up" and it goes on...

However

The problem comes with apps. Not all apps are optimized and follow HOLO principles. To access a menu you will have to "press and hold" which is not intuitive, takes time & uncomfortable.

When iPhone announced the world it wooed the customers for the flexibility of having onscreen keyboard which is dynamic. Being dynamic allows different keys as per the need, in that aspect i would prefer on screen buttons.

we have lived when our phone screen were just less than 2 or 3 inches and now we have five inches, don't you have enough space still? Get a bigger phone then :p

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Question! Will it be worth it to upgrade from xperia z to honami??? Its like you are buying a steroid xperia z. ?? Cause for me its this dec. or next year 4th quarter or later. Since my wife and i are now planning to have a baby.

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

I think that depends on your utilization & the bottle necks you see of the XZ!

Reactions: styxter

Haldi4803

Guys don't you think it would have been better off having capacitive buttons instead of on-screen??? I personally don't like the idea of my screen space being taken up by these buttons at any point of time.... I knw its a very trivial issue... But How do u people feel abt it??

i prefer Onscreen! why ? there are apps to Hide them and use gestures! Can you do that with capacitive buttons ?

Ben Ling

Recognized Themer
Nov 2, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
If the phone hangs, yes its probably stuck - but thats the same case even with a capacitive/physical button - we have option to reset using the power/reset

if app hangs, the on screen/capacitive / physical all should work - its just that the app will fail.

yeah you're right.

Even is Capacitive button,it's also stuck when our phone hang,and if only the app hangs,the button will work..

Reactions: pradeepvizz

darth5zaft

Dec 16, 2011
kuala lumpur
i prefer Onscreen! why ? there are apps to Hide them and use gestures! Can you do that with capacitive buttons ?

Yeah, me too. I hate capacitive!. Android are design with on-screen button. So stop struggling and get on board.

Using capacitive button like they did with HTC one make more for unpleasant experience. Why do one need to learn, execute a combo, which is slower than just tapping it? On the HOX before u still lose screen real estate when a whole black bar with 3 dot appears on most app.

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app

knightpt

Aug 17, 2013
I was a firm believer and even made several posts (on other forums) saying terrible things that on-screen buttons were terrible, but at least in a 5'' (xperia Z) i honestly quite like them on-screen. They feel classy and xperia UI has a nice animation when you press them it makes it feel neat to press them.

About the screen you lose, in a 5'' its negliceable, if you ask me about a 4,0'' screen than i say capacitive buttons are better because the screen is already "small" and you want to make the most out of it and the buttons make you feel "cheated".

But, you now have some ways to make it even less of a hassle (if rooted). You can download apps to change the buttons to a hidden pie menu when you perform certain gestures, etc. There is even some ways to keep the soft-keys but make them smaller in DPI.

When i got the xperia Z i always tought that the 1st thing i would do would be to improve the softkeys because i hated their concept, but i haven't touched them yet and i don't think i will because they actualy look fine on a 5'' screen.

Reactions: Andre Verissimo

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Heard an interesting rumor, Xperia Honami might be called Z1 (Z One)...

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: pradeepvizz

knightpt

Aug 17, 2013
Would make sense if Sony wanted to associate the letter "Z" to ultra-high end flagship phones....

There's been a lot of criticism towards Sony to have a confusing naming scheme, perhaps they listened a little and want to streamline the names and associate letters with market positioning.

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
i must have triggered something... well now this was unexpected...

Sony Mobile's global PR team now following me on twitter!!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bc12vmjmqwonk46/xperia_news_following.png

oULM2GD2YMUdJFLUm_2kvfRfF-nHAXK1zp6auoiWxf4

:victory: :angel: :highfive:

Last edited:

knightpt

Aug 17, 2013
i must have triggered something... well now this was unexpected...

Sony Mobile's global PR team now following me on twitter!!!!

:victory: :angel: :highfive:

lol, It seems that someone is interested in knowing what your sources know...

Beware, this is the first step towards total surveillance, then world domination ;)

Haldi4803

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes I know that, I just don't want it to be outdated too soon

Sent from my XPERIA S using XDA app

The smartphone cycle has gotten pretty simple and formulaic if you follow it closely.

Jan-April - Interim and half-baked products and copycats. Phonemakers who can't compete on mindshare and marketing take advantage of the lull to try and stand out by releasing the newest chips and not have to compete with bigger competitors. Snapdragon 600, Tegra 3. S4 Pro. 1080p. 720p. Tegra 2. They may look enticing if you just focus on that one spec, but the overall package is usually lacking, being more rushed, uneven, poorly optimized, buggy, and will get superseded by newer, more refined versions of their chips later in the year and better components and screens overall. Being first has its downsides. Also, just a general release period for smaller phonemakers to release phones with outdated hardware to take advantage of the lull and quietness.

E.g. Motorola Atrix, Optimus G2x, Optimus 4x, Optimus G Pro, Xperia s, Xperia Z, Oppo Find 5, Lumia 920, Lumia 900

May-Aug - The big boys other than Apple start releasing their flagship products. Usually Samsung and HTC. It takes a couple months for availability to reach a global scale.

E.g. Galaxy S 1-4. HTC Sensation. HTC One X. HTC One.

Sep-Nov - Everybody starts pouring out their flagship phones. Apple announces and subsequently releases their newest iPhone. Refined tech like the Sanpdragon 800 (what the 600 should be), chips with LTE radios, higher resolution screens that don't suck, and the quick disfavor of earlier Tegra chips, all come to a head. LG screws you over by implying their earlier phones were prototypes or copycats and pulls out their real flagship phone of the year. Sony releases yet another iteration in their six-month flagship phone cycle that is marginally better than what was available earlier. HTC and Samsung release updated versions of their earlier flagships with more refined hardware. The Galaxy Note gets released, and HTC's barely phablet. Motorola releases yet another boring kevlar backed Razr using pedestrian specs with no innovation, splitting it into three products with the M, regular, and Maxxx. Nokia, like LG, also makes fun of you for buying their half-baked interim product earlier in the year and finally releases their true flagship, aligning with the late-year release of Windows Phone that FINALLY supports somewhat modern hardware. The latest Nexus device comes along. It's the holidays when retailers get out of the black and companies get their largest revenue and profit. If you are gonna release something big, can pay for the marketing, and want it to sell quickly and not rot on the (figurative) store shelves while its tech becomes outdated, this is the time. Fewer people buy stuff earlier in the year, so products with short life cycles and high R&D costs should stick to this area, if you are not a perennial favorite like the iPhone or Galaxy S.

E.g. EVERYTHING ELSE.

Roundabout answer to question. If you want to stick to a yearly phone cycle, stick with the typical Fall release that's a no-brainer and in line with everything else, from video games to TV shows to Elmo toys. The phone you buy should be good for a year at least, and you have the widest availability of phones to choose, the most refined version of the good stuff, and the manufacturing process of said good stuff has been ironed out and revved up so you won't be geting buggy 1.0 hardware components and they are churning out at maximum capacity with the widest release.
    Went hands on with the ZU tonight. Very high quality device. Felt very sturdy and felt better in the hand than the Xperia z due to the beveled edges. It is a big device. But super thin. Couldn't believe how thin and light it was. Made the XZ feel chucky.

OS ran super super smooth. The pen input was very cool with a pencil. Felt weird using a pencil on a smartphone screen but it recognized things great and very fluid while writing/drawing.

The screen was gorgeous. Absolutely amazing. And for those of you into viewing angles it looked great from all angles. The flaps felt better and more sturdy that the XZ. The bezel size on top and bottom serves a good purpose as when using the XZU in landscape you can comfortably hold it with one hand without touching the LCD.

Even though the XZU is giant it didn't feel that way because of how thin and light this thing is. I thought the Tablet Z was thin.....the XZU beats it and feels much better. Loved the metal edges of the device. And it looks great in purple.

Didn't test the camera other than taking a picture to mess with in the drawing app that was on it.

I can see people getting this device to take the place of a phone and 7" tablet. Fills both those needs IMHO.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ TL
    I went to a recently opened (Yersterday) Sony "Pool Up" store (Meaning they had a pool with guys and gals playing with devices under water) in Madrid and I had the chance to try the Xperia Z Ultra.

It's ****ing amazing. They had it under tight security, saying that it was only a prototype, and they let no one to touch it.

After a little chat with the manager, and after convincing him I was a HUGE Sony fan, (I carried a Xperia S, a Xperia Z and a Sony Walkman Z with me), he let me play with it for a while, leaving me =O I was jumping in excitement when he let me touch it. He told me "you know more about Sony devices than the people working over here" (Thank you Xperia Blog and XDA)

My devices:

972317_10151711269161614_1713517764_n.jpg

The Store:

996825_10151763651706614_1531504030_n.jpg

My Xperia Z compared to the Xperia Z Ultra on display:

8667_10151763668551614_1513256913_n.jpg

998674_10151763658771614_1561758052_n.jpg

Me and the Z Ultra:

931223_10151765572246614_234656438_n.jpg

1002391_10151765688976614_469146874_n.jpg

I was so blown away that I just remember seeing the About Phone stuff. Kernel 3.4 and Android 4.2.2. Everything else was just jaw dropping.
    XPERIA 2012 RANGE - for pictures of 2012 Xperia range Click Here
    Xperia S
    Xperia P
    Xperia U
    Xperia Sola
    Xperia Tipo
    Xperia ION
    Xperia Go
    Xperia Acro S
    Xperia Neo L
    Xperia Miro
    Xperia T