[GUIDE][TUT] Manila Development for Beginners - ManilaFiles & Tut3 (30Sep) in NewWiki

Search This thread

meltwater

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2009
[GUIDE][TUT] Manila Development for Beginners - ManilaFiles & Tut3 (30Sep) in NewWiki

I am writing a guide/tutorials on how to develop and modify manila, since I've found it very hard to find information on it. I welcome any help, comments on these tutorials and also any information people may have on manila.

I've chosen to write them in the wiki, so it is open for anyone to edit so hopefully if I get something wrong it can be corrected. Let me know if you are interested in adding to these tutorials (or just add them), I've got a few more planned, just catching up with my progress so far.

WM6 HTC Sense Developer Wiki Home for modifying and creating extensions to the HTC Sense on WM6 Devices
http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=WM6_HTC_Sense_Developer_Wiki

The OLDwiki is not available anymore, but I shall be moving the tutorials to the above WM6 HTC Sense Developer Wiki Home
The links below will link to the announcement post and then to the wiki page.
Guides & Tips

GUIDE Manila Files - Explanation Of The Various Manila Files [WIP]

MODS rat_2665's CHT special clocks [in this thread]

TIP mncessna's Lua Switch Statement

GUIDE colossus_r's Find manila file names for all language

Tutorials

TUT Manila Tutorial 1 - Basic Tabs (Call History, Tab Manager)

TUT Manila Tutorial 2 - Adding Ready Made Tabs (Documents, eReader, Footprints)

TUT Manila Tutorial 3 - Modifying Existing Tabs (Custom Call History Tab)

Links
Manila Kitchen - 12aon & hilaireg

Links from Senax:
[APP] Command line Mode9 Tools

[REF][APP] Manila file names

[APP][27-Dec-09] LuaTool 1.2 - Lua Decompiler, Compiler and Compare

[REF][11.11.09] CFC - THE Manila/TF3D Image Editor - Tech Reference (Q)(W)VGA

Thanks
Captain_Throwback for help with tut2
utopykzebulon for permission to use the colour call history tab used in tut3

To Do List
Guides & Tutorials
  1. Finish GUIDE Manila Files
  2. Finish Tut4
Manila/Sense Tab Changes
  1. Fix message tab to use HTC messaging
  2. Change home shortcut for Call History to go to Call History Tab (instead of people sub-page)
  3. Update Call History to have left-softkey to All People [DONE]
  4. Update Call History to use contact photos
  5. Make Comms tab which isn't read-only
  6. Make util tab with Update All Button & Volume Control Setting
  7. Change fonts in Tab Manager Tab
  8. RSS Tab!
  9. Extend facebook tab (if official Tab doesn't appear)

Last edited:

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
GUIDE Manila Files - Explanation Of The Various Manila Files
Explains the files which make up manila, what they are and how to work with them

I've started to put the info back into this section of the wiki, I've used Ecolgue's About Manila wiki page (recovered from google cache) since my own sections were unrecoverable.

Contributions of knowledge welcome, since this is a big topic and there are lots of things I don't know yet.

Last edited:

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Help Needed

I have a few questions which I can't find answers for:
Q1: How do I upload pictures to the wiki, attachments just appear as links. Where is the upload point?
Using PhotoBucket for now, but is there some way to upload them directly to the xda wiki?

Q2: Manila related question, anyone know how the xxxxx_manila files are numbered? Doing the mods I will be creating manila files, so I was wondering if there was some reason in the numbers or can I use any file number which isn't in use? Ideally you'd want to avoid using other file names used by other tabs & plugins even if they aren't currently installed.

EDIT: The names are a HASH of the internal reference name, the ManilaHASH Tool allows the names to be generated (see attached).

Thanks.

Attachments

• ManilaHashTool.jpg
    ManilaHashTool.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
[APP] Command line Mode9 Tools
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=491185

[REF][APP] Manila file names

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=546820

[APP][27-Dec-09] LuaTool 1.2 - Lua Decompiler, Compiler and Compare

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=568281

... Still searching for more usefull links,
Senax
Thank you so much. I shall do some reading! Added them to the links at the top too.

Currently working on tutorial number 3, I've also got number 4 planned (when I get time).

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
TUT Manila Tutorial 3 - Modifying Existing Tabs (Custom Call History Tab)
This tutorial will dig deeper into the existing manila files and hopefully demonstrate how to edit and change the basic functionality of manila tabs.
For this tutorial, we will attempt to change the behaviour of pre-built Call History Tab created by utopykzebulon.

Thanks to utopykzebulon for permission to use the Call History Addon.

I've attached the files used for this tutorial since utopykzebulon may decide to update the tab later on (taken from 2nd post of his thread 15 March 2010).

Last edited:

mkucuksari

May 11, 2008
Many thanks,

Very Good "Tutorials", I will look forward esp "To Do Items" .

Regards

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Many thanks,

Very Good "Tutorials", I will look forward esp "To Do Items" .

Regards

I'm glad someone likes em, I've tried to keep the level of them fairly high otherwise the useful information gets lost in the "Click Button A" here and select this menu here... I hope that it makes sense, the aim is to focus on the manila stuff rather than the toolset (which have manuals/threads and will also change over time).
Big question, do they make any sense?

Out of interest, which of the To Do Items in particular?

true2you

Dec 21, 2007
brussels
wow seems quite perfect for a tutorial!!! thank you!!!

but i have one noob question:
do you think that there's a way to obtain a cab for that in the end of all the procedures here, i mean i have already managed to make a couple of cabs (for example, i've already made some 2.5 sliders) but by that i mean i have always included simple files in them and nothing else, like key entries or values.. so i'd like to know if it is possible, because if it is, i'll start to work on that immediately.

I'm asking because i'm using the official sense 2.5 for rhodium ROM and i'd like to ad the e-reader + the documents tab in it

Plus, about the call history, do you know if there's a way to replace the telephone softkey on the home tab with call history, instead of adding an extra tab for it, because the actual button says telephone and, uhh the hardware call button does the exact same job...

AND ALSO, I APOLOGIZE for my bad english if it is (first language is french)
+ for beeing too noob for this thread
+ for asking things in the wrong place if it is the case

And again thank you very much for this wonderful TUT

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
wow seems quite perfect for a tutorial!!! thank you!!!

but i have one noob question:
do you think that there's a way to obtain a cab for that in the end of all the procedures here, i mean i have already managed to make a couple of cabs (for example, i've already made some 2.5 sliders) but by that i mean i have always included simple files in them and nothing else, like key entries or values.. so i'd like to know if it is possible, because if it is, i'll start to work on that immediately.

I'm asking because i'm using the official sense 2.5 for rhodium ROM and i'd like to ad the e-reader + the documents tab in it

Plus, about the call history, do you know if there's a way to replace the telephone softkey on the home tab with call history, instead of adding an extra tab for it, because the actual button says telephone and, uhh the hardware call button does the exact same job...

AND ALSO, I APOLOGIZE for my bad english if it is (first language is french)
+ for beeing too noob for this thread
+ for asking things in the wrong place if it is the case

And again thank you very much for this wonderful TUT
+ english is my only language so your bad english is welcome
+ thread is for beginners, so all are welcome
+ never the wrong place if someone knows the answers.

1. Cab's (for the tutorials?) yes it is possible, but they take time to do, plus the extra issue is each Tab Control file (i.e. 26948339_manila) will be different for each combination of tabs you have.

2. It is easy to add reg entries to cabs, although depends what you use to create them. Not done it myself but usually app.reg (text file) with the following sort of thing:
Code:
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\Manila]
"Facebook.LaunchAppSel"=dword:1
"Facebook.LaunchAppName0"="MS Facebook App"
Can't offer more info on cabs, since I've not made any yet.

3. Softkey, that should be defined in the registry somewhere, depends on your version of home page, cookie/manilaMax etc. Don't know it off hand, but definitely on the forums.

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Does it work for Manila 2.0?

Do you mean the docs tab?
Simple answer is I don't know without trying it (but I don't have 2.0). I would expect that it could use 2.5 specific stuff, if you are careful to take backups you can probably try. Unfortunately I'm only learning about manila 2.5 since that is what I'm using, I don't know how they will differ. The principles are similar but it won't be exactly the same.

prasadedla

Mar 10, 2009
Pune
Do you mean the docs tab?
Simple answer is I don't know without trying it (but I don't have 2.0). I would expect that it could use 2.5 specific stuff, if you are careful to take backups you can probably try. Unfortunately I'm only learning about manila 2.5 since that is what I'm using, I don't know how they will differ. The principles are similar but it won't be exactly the same.
Manila 2.5 is TouchFlo 3D while 2.0 is 2D. I searched my phone and couldn't find any of the XML files mentioned in the tutorial. I really want to customize my Manila. Please help.

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Manila 2.5 is TouchFlo 3D while 2.0 is 2D. I searched my phone and couldn't find any of the XML files mentioned in the tutorial. I really want to customize my Manila. Please help.

If it is that different then unfortunately I can't help. I'm only learning how to do manila 2.5 since I have it on my phone and I can experiment with it (the tutorials are written from my own trial and error (mainly error!)). Hopefully somewhere manila 2.0 has been explained, try looking for some threads about cooking ROMs using manila 2.0.

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
thanks for your post and tuto :)

do you think it's possible to add a tab and activate a plugin from homescreen like pocket breeze or else?
i've tried a lot of program and all have some errors..i think by this way it's better..

Thanks !
Don't know pocket breeze, so might not understand what you mean.

There is a today plugin tab somewhere. But unfortunately, I'm fairly sure you can't just make an app to appear inside a tab.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hola MeltWater and all others who have kept this thread alive and contributed to sharing and spreading "MK" (ManilaKnowledge) :D
    It´s been of great value and very useful for me in order to obtain certain progresses with CHTS "FullThemeSwitch" :)
    Muchas gracias for sharing

Great to hear it has been helpful. I'll try to put some more detail in the wiki about some of the other things I've done using manila, obviously it can take time to create full tutorials so they may be more code examples instead. Can share a few of the tricks I've been using for the RSSTab.
    "Sharing Tricks" is always welcome, as well as "sharing knowledge" :D
    I,m not sure if this could be the right thread for it, but since I´m taking a very close look at some files in order to identify the ones needed for a "CHT Theme Switch" as well as a "Full Device Theme Switch", I´m stumbeling on a few of the "unidentified & unlisted" manilas in Manila File List. Beeing an analytical person and paying attention to detail (I have no programming knowledge what so ever - besides the "basic" I learned when I was a youngster, way before DOS and Windows) but I´m very aware of what I "see" on my device, I´m focusing atm at the "optical" changes when switching between themes and cross checking files.
    To make a very long story short, where would you want me to post such files and their descriptions/locations so they might be "renamed" and added to the manila File List?

Example see attached txt file regarding Tabslider elements ;)
    Such info can easily be added to the wiki, just add a new section to the tutorials and guides [http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=WM6_HTC_Sense_Developer_Wiki#Tutorials_and_Guides]. There is linked info on how to use the MediaWiki from the Xda editing guide [http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=XDA-Developers:Editing_guide].

If you have any problems I can create the outline page for you, although you might need to re-organize the details, not sure I follow all of it. My route in is looking at the programing end, all the lauc script stuff is quite different to the other programming I've done, but decompiling gives example code to follow, trouble is sense is easy to break and difficult to debug.