Sketching / note taking on the Prime

Search This thread

krash

Oct 11, 2010
Hey everyone, I've had this idea of trying to merge the use of my transformer prime with my business. I go out to several homes a day to take measurements for various things, as well as sketch rough drawings. Does anyone here use their tablet for something similar?

The reason I ask is because I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and the stylus that comes with that has a nice fine tip that I can create notes and drawings in Evernote pretty well with.. but that stylus won't work on the transformer. So I ordered the Wacom Bamboo stylus with the rubber end. But when I write numbers like "39 3/4" or something -- it looks like a 5 year old wrote it. Same goes for the simple drawings and the dimensions.

Are there any options available that can make the tablet useful for this type of work?

Thanks everyone,

An excellent app for Android for stylus-based notes and sketches is LectureNotes. It has a ton of features, and the developer keeps improving the app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acadoid.lecturenotes

Quill is also a pretty good writing/sketching app, but not as many features as LectureNotes:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.write.Quill

For styluses that have finer control, you may want to consider some of the following stylus makers:

iFaraday: has a dielectric micro-mesh surface, which is stiffer than than rubber-tip stylus. I have the Artist version, and it's great for sketching.
Adonit: the Jot Pro fine-point stylus, has a transparent disc so you can better see the point of contact. Good for handwriting.
DAGi: similar in style to the Adonit, in a variety of sizes.

krash

Oct 11, 2010
An excellent app for Android for stylus-based notes and sketches is LectureNotes. It has a ton of features, and the developer keeps improving the app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acadoid.lecturenotes

Quill is also a pretty good writing/sketching app, but not as many features as LectureNotes:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.write.Quill

For styluses that have finer control, you may want to consider some of the following stylus makers:

iFaraday: has a dielectric micro-mesh surface, which is stiffer than than rubber-tip stylus. I have the Artist version, and it's great for sketching.
Adonit: the Jot Pro fine-point stylus, has a transparent disc so you can better see the point of contact. Good for handwriting.
DAGi: similar in style to the Adonit, in a variety of sizes.

Thank you for the recommendations! I did search quite a bit when it came to which stylus to order and I did see the Jot Pro. I was going to order it but I saw a few YouTube videos of people using it and it wasn't working all that great.

Basically my sketches would be very limited to some rather basic line drawings.. it's not like I'm sketching faces or anything elaborate. So I'd much rather have something more geared to neater handwriting.

As far as the apps go, do they themselves have anything to do with the responsiveness of the device? I know the answer is probably no, but I was wondering if their software tends to "correct" on the fly making for neater lines or whatever.. I'm not sure if that question is completely clear or not. :confused:

The reason I ask is because I like Evernote's interface and I like that you can synchronize accounts with certain notebooks, etc.

As far as a technical question goes -- do you know why my galaxy note's stylus will not work with the prime? I read that they are both capacitive touch screens.. but I guess there is more to it than just that.

Thanks again!

As far as the apps go, do they themselves have anything to do with the responsiveness of the device? I know the answer is probably no, but I was wondering if their software tends to "correct" on the fly making for neater lines or whatever.. I'm not sure if that question is completely clear or not. :confused:

The reason I ask is because I like Evernote's interface and I like that you can synchronize accounts with certain notebooks, etc.

LectureNotes and Quill do not "improve" the quality of the writing, however they both have a zoom mode where you can write larger (and more legibly) and then this is unzoomed in the captured writing. LectureNotes has some fine-tuning options to improve the screen responsiveness to the stylus, and the apps have a palm detection feature so there is an area on the screen you can rest your hand and not have that detected by the screen.

You may also want to check out the Skitch app, which is from Evernote. It does improve or smooth out writing, and integrates very well with Evernote.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evernote.skitch

As far as a technical question goes -- do you know why my galaxy note's stylus will not work with the prime? I read that they are both capacitive touch screens.. but I guess there is more to it than just that.

The Galaxy Note devices have both a capacitive touch screen and an active digitizer screen that works with the special S-pen stylus. The S-pen stylus does not work on capacitive touch screens that come with most tablets (like the Prime) or smartphones. For capacitive touch screens you will need a standard capacitive stylus.