[Q] What steps am I missing with my install to kitkat?

Search This thread

JJsevol

Jan 8, 2012
big city
To start off the kindle had an older version of twrp and had a version of ice cream sandwich. Those work correctly and it continues to work correctly after a nandroid restore.

Fast forward to now, I installed the latest twrp and flashed the latest FFF v1.5 bootloader.

I flashed this CM11 nightly cm-11-20140702-NIGHTLY-otter.zip
and flashed latest gapps gapps-kk-20140606-signed.zip

After I finish flashing everything I can setup the kindle but once I reboot it goes into a bootloop at the CM logo that results in a colorful screen. If I power off and power on it just bootlopps at the CM logo. Not sure what else I can do. Any help is appreciated.

Forgot to add. I have tried flashing Pacman rom: pac_otter-nightly-20140701.zip and I get same results as above.

Last edited:

JJsevol

Jan 8, 2012
big city

Matching md5 for the roms and gapps

try gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

newer is not always better

Going to try with these

Dirty flash or clean?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

It's always been a clean flash

On a side note installing a jelly bean rom works fine and I can reboot without a problem.

dokie80

May 23, 2008
jakarta
Matching md5 for the roms and gapps

Going to try with these

It's always been a clean flash

On a side note installing a jelly bean rom works fine and I can reboot without a problem.

If u install JB with out problem with the same twrp, then ur twrp is twrp6?
Afaik, kitkat need twrp7, JB need twrp6.

I had bootloop when I flashed JB with twrp7. Check ur twrp version?

JJsevol

Jan 8, 2012
big city

JJsevol

Jan 8, 2012
big city
OK so I have twrp 2.7.0.1. Here's the screenshot in recovery. Does your twrp look like that because my other twrp on other devices look different logo wise.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1404493989979.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404493989979.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 23

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Reactions: JJsevol

dokie80

May 23, 2008
jakarta
Still stuck at logo?
U need to inform ur version of bootloader, twrp, and which ROM u r trying to flash. Let us know the name of the file.
Did u wipe before flashing?
Twrp7 can't be use for flashing JB. U ending up using JB by flashing ur old twrp and ROM? Or by flashing via twrp7?

Last.. Are u sure u device is kindle fire original?

JJsevol

Jan 8, 2012
big city
Still stuck at logo?
U need to inform ur version of bootloader, twrp, and which ROM u r trying to flash. Let us know the name of the file.
Did u wipe before flashing?
Twrp7 can't be use for flashing JB. U ending up using JB by flashing ur old twrp and ROM? Or by flashing via twrp7?

Last.. Are u sure u device is kindle fire original?

Yeah still stuck at cm logo after powering back on or rebooting. File names are in the op but let me know if you need anything else. Clean instalI with a wipe. I even used the twrp version SD_shadow provided and I still installed KitKat and installed jb bit still see the issue. And positive to original kindle. I'm thinking I should make a video of my install process. Thanks for the help guys.

dokie80

May 23, 2008
jakarta
Yeah still stuck at cm logo after powering back on or rebooting. File names are in the op but let me know if you need anything else. Clean instalI with a wipe. I even used the twrp version SD_shadow provided and I still installed KitKat and installed jb bit still see the issue. And positive to original kindle. I'm thinking I should make a video of my install process. Thanks for the help guys.

No idea.. Sorry.

Anyway, if you successfully install JB with TWRP 7.. That's weird.

Reactions: JJsevol

JJsevol

Jan 8, 2012
big city
No idea.. Sorry.

Here's a better look of twrp version and zips I have. Also the bootloader version is v1.5 not v1.4.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1404838158706.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404838158706.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 24
  • uploadfromtaptalk1404838170686.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404838170686.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Doing that now. I don't have to flash the bootloader every time, right?
The bootloader gets flashed 1 time and 1 time only. Unless perhaps there is an upgrade you never do this in correlation with flashing a new ROM period.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Swipe factory reset then go advanced select dalvik, cache, system then swipe again. Flash rom.zip, flash gapps.zip in zip form mind you then select reboot system.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    try gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

newer is not always better
    OK so I have twrp 2.7.0.1. Here's the screenshot in recovery. Does your twrp look like that because my other twrp on other devices look different logo wise.
    that should be fine, unless it did not install correctly. try the 2.7.1.0 zip version zip-openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-otter.zip Install in old TWRP>wipe cache and dalvik>reboot

No idea.. Sorry.

Read about Otterx. In case u want to try it. So that you don't have to do it all over again.
    Changing bootloader only needed if you want to change to Otterx.
    You ll need U-boot to change otter to OtterX