[Q] Firerat's Custom MTD Partitions Question

Search This thread

Zin0

Sep 14, 2010
Mount Airy
Sorry if this question has been asked multiple times, I did try my best to find an answer on google and xda but no luck, so here I am:)

I have it set up and everything. Before i did it, i had 150 mb of total space, now I have 298 mb of total space but i read that people got up to 350+ of mb space, is there a way i can get mine up that high?

ajrty33

Jul 31, 2010
Sorry if this question has been asked multiple times, I did try my best to find an answer on google and xda but no luck, so here I am:)

I have it set up and everything. Before i did it, i had 150 mb of total space, now I have 298 mb of total space but i read that people got up to 350+ of mb space, is there a way i can get mine up that high?

If you make your /system and /cache as small as you safely can, then your /data is what it is. The only way to get more space is decrease the /system size

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

Reactions: Zin0
E
Thank you :) how would i know what would be the smallest, safest amount that /system could be?

It really depends on which Rom you are running. For jaybob's 2.3.7 (TeamHeroc 30Nov) that I am using
I have my mtdpartmap at 105 2. I think this gives me data of 352 total. I have pulled some apk's out though and you will have some market issues unless you use s0be's market fix because the cache is set below 18. This is a gingerbread thing that didn't happen on froyo from what I can remember. You also need to use firerat's 1.5.8 (or above I guess for the 18mb cache to work without the market fix). You can check the size of the partitions by going into the terminal emulator and doing: df -h, of that doesn't work try busybox df -h. That way you can see what you need. If you go over the allotted system partition amount you will run into all kinds of issues. Leave some room if you like to change boot animations or anything else involving the system.

Reactions: Zin0

Zin0

Sep 14, 2010
Mount Airy
E

It really depends on which Rom you are running. For jaybob's 2.3.7 (TeamHeroc 30Nov) that I am using
I have my mtdpartmap at 105 2. I think this gives me data of 352 total. I have pulled some apk's out though and you will have some market issues unless you use s0be's market fix because the cache is set below 18. This is a gingerbread thing that didn't happen on froyo from what I can remember. You also need to use firerat's 1.5.8 (or above I guess for the 18mb cache to work without the market fix). You can check the size of the partitions by going into the terminal emulator and doing: df -h, of that doesn't work try busybox df -h. That way you can see what you need. If you go over the allotted system partition amount you will run into all kinds of issues. Leave some room if you like to change boot animations or anything else involving the system.

Thank you very much for your assistance. My mtdpartmap is 160 2 , so i guess im good for now lol. I'll just switch Roms and evaluate the difference in internal mem. for myself. Right now im on Drew's something..(first Rom in my sig) so i'm probably maxed out already. Once again, thanks ( already used the thanks button lol)

permazorch

Aug 29, 2010
Call me terminal newbie-noob

I'm looking for two things:
1) firerats v.1.5.8
2) easy to follow instructions for installation.

I also want to use firerats (have for a long, long, long time, but, I've been intimidated by the OP disclaimer and super-long thread), but I cannot find v.1.5.8.

I've gone through the links, and I'm just not seeing it.

(Folks, you gotta understand: I'm a fumbler and overcautious, and it's painful to ask for help.)

I love having my little hero rooted. I love the continuing work by AOSP, Dastin and Matt Crystal and innumberable others, it's great! I just don't have enough room for the apps I use. I wouldn't travel down this path if I didn't think I had to, so please lend an old fool your brain.

The best how-to I've come across (so far) is the ROMRepo:

http://romrepo.info/wiki/index.php?title=Firerat's_Custom_MTD_Partitions_(HeroC)
It takes me to v.1.5.6.

I just don't want to screw up.
Thanks in advance.
-p

Reactions: NineInchNails

permazorch

Aug 29, 2010
Am I asking for too much? I don't mean to cause harm. If one would be so kind as to provide a link to v.1.5.8, I'd be grateful.

I know I'm a risky prospect for lending help to, but I won't hold it against anyone if things don't work out right.

Thanks for your consideration.

-p

Last edited:

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
As far as instructions on how to use the mod just read the op then spend a little time reading the thread. Then make a nandroid and give it a go. Also you should have a copy of your current recovery on hand and adb installed on your pc.

#Root-Hack_Mod*Always\

Zin0

Sep 14, 2010
Mount Airy
1) firerats v.1.5.8

I also want to use firerats (have for a long, long, long time, but, I've been intimidated by the OP disclaimer and super-long thread), but I cannot find v.1.5.8.

(Folks, you gotta understand: I'm a fumbler and overcautious, and it's painful to ask for help.)

I love having my little hero rooted. I love the continuing work by AOSP, Dastin and Matt Crystal and innumberable others, it's great! I just don't have enough room for the apps I use. I wouldn't travel down this path if I didn't think I had to, so please lend an old fool your brain.

http://romrepo.info/wiki/index.php?title=Firerat's_Custom_MTD_Partitions_(HeroC)
It takes me to v.1.5.6.

Thanks in advance.
-p

In case you didn't find it, http://www.mediafire.com/?lifib6a9ptj5j#1pcwmbdd9kqpc
Also, the instructions are on the OP of this thread

Personally, I would do Data2Ext. You get Gigs of int. mem. (Around 1 gig if you set your ext. size to 2048mb. Of course, the bigger your sdcard, the bigger you can make your partition.)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you make your /system and /cache as small as you safely can, then your /data is what it is. The only way to get more space is decrease the /system size

E
    Thank you :) how would i know what would be the smallest, safest amount that /system could be?

Call me terminal newbie-noob

1) firerats v.1.5.8

It takes me to v.1.5.6.

Thanks in advance.
    -p