Android system draining battery

Search This thread

SGSIIIUser

Jul 20, 2012
The android system is draining my battery pretty badly. It's taking about 25 percent of my battery. I have my Gsiff_daemon deleted, but it's still taking quite a lot of my battery. My phone would go down 1 percent every 5 mins in sleep mode. Is this normal and how can I decrease the battery usage of android system? I'm on 4.0.4 stock rooted.

2yde3e5e.jpg

uqu8edur.jpg

e5yzy6eh.jpg

2unupu4y.jpg

e8emypap.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

BeatnikBandit

Oct 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
When you have battery issues you need to post a battery info screenshot. Showing your battery use and what is using it. It will help Diagnose the issue.

IMO (I am not pro) I would think being on stock you should have no problem although you are rooted so I think. Its either a hardware issue or something you did. How did you root your phone? if you followed a Tutorial what tutorial did you use?

What i would do is first charge the phone to 100% then let it drain to around 5% and post a screenshot of your battery usage, I would also post a History Screenshot too.

After you have done that you can patiently wait as i bet someone more knowledgeable than I will post something about your issue.

Although Since your rooted you could Install a New Kernel that is made for battery life. That should help if your ROM is not the suspect (I think it could be) Next I would also flash a good stock based rom (that is if you like and want stock based). Pimp My Rom also Has some Battery Saving Tweeks in it if you wish to not flash a ROM try PMR to tweak your system.

SGSIIIUser

Jul 20, 2012
I didn't really cared about my battery life before since I always have extra carried with me at all times. But my power is out because of hurricane sandy and I have no idea when will the power be back up. Now every percent battery counts since I won't be able to charge. I'll try to put screen shots up but I only have my phone because my laptop battery died already.

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
Go into your battery screen and tap on Android System and then scroll down. it will show you all the processes that are associated with that particular facet of the ROM/Battery. In there, you can see what is being used by Android System and hopefully something will spark your eye. Do you have an Alarm/Clock setting, Calendar, media scanning,...? You can force close the offender.

Also you can go into Developer Options and tick Show CPU and it will show an overlay on your homescreen that will show real-time CPU usage.

SGSIIIUser

Jul 20, 2012
I turned on cpu usage in the devekoper options and I see that x.xx/x.xx/x.xx (x are numbers I can't track them down because they're constantly changing) are always on the top and takes up quite a lot of cpu. Is that something I need to worry about?

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
I would reboot and once it is back up and running, go to Settings>Apps>Running and FC everything that you are not using. Then switched to Cached and FC everything that populated over from running and anything else that you don't need.

When I say need, I understand that you are in the danger zone and w/o power. You don't need Facebook, MediaHub, Music/Video,...Not that those are specific to you, but if you only have one battery left with no power in the future, then I suggest going bare bones for the time beaing.

Sidenote: I was just reading about some things and see that some people in NYC are using Hotels/Gas Stations/ Stores that still have power to charge up the cell phones. Not sure where you are but might be worth looking into. How many times have you gone into that corner store? Do they recognize you? Maybe they could share some power. See where I am going with this?

Be safe

critofur

Jan 21, 2011
NYC/Tokyo
I had "Android System" eating my battery too. I'm stock/rooted. I had Cerberus installed briefly, uninstalled - about when my phone started being hot (bottom third) when sleeping in my pocket. Drove me nuts - sorry, but I simply cant tolerate an IDLE phone getting hot in my pocket! Anyway, I rebooted the phone, turned it off, pulled the battery, installed Better Battery Stats - eventually the phone stopped having massive drainage from "Android System" and now it's not hot anymore whether it's on browsing the web or idle.

I guess there are two points to my post 1) the way I could tell my problem was fixed was the phone stopped getting hot -and- 2) the problem hasn't come back for me after a simple fix of multiple-power cycles. I've seen mixed results with a fair number of people saying that rebooting their phone fixed there problem and about an equal number saying the problem either wasn't fixed by rebooting or it came back again later.

If it happened to me again I would open a Terminal and run the "top" command and just keep watching it until I figured out what was eating up my battery (CPU time).

EDIT: Oh - and to confuse things more I used Titanium Backup (pro) to freeze/un-install some of the T-mobile bloatware in addition to setting email to sync slightly less often...

Last edited:

SGSIIIUser

Jul 20, 2012
I have my power back on and factory reset my phone. I see android system had already taken 30% of my battery after about an hour of use. There is close to nothing on my phone since it just got factory reset. I don't even know what to do anymore, I really don't want this "android system" sucking so much of my battery.

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Id suggest flashing the full stock fw via Odin. Possibly something got corrupted during an update maybe.
I saw uou used Show cpu usage earlier. Don't worry bout the numbers, but watch for the processes that seem to stay at the top and let us know which they are.

You can get the fw from my thread here.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1949687

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

SGSIIIUser

Jul 20, 2012
The cpu usage is very high I think it constantly stays at 1.2+ 2+ 4+. It can go as high as 9. I'll try flashing stock rom again and see how that goes later today.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
The cpu usage is very high I think it constantly stays at 1.2+ 2+ 4+. It can go as high as 9. I'll try flashing stock rom again and see how that goes later today.

Ok, but beneath those numbers you should see the list of processes. Theyll be constantly changing but you should be able to pick out which ones seem to stay at the top.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

SGSIIIUser

Jul 20, 2012
The only thing below the cpu usage is the system_server. Android system is only hogging 11% of my battery today. I don't know why was it at 30% yesterday but it seems normal now.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351712386252.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351712386252.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 294