[Q] Car bluetooth pairing fails in KitKat! has anyone found a solution?

Search This thread

acidmelt

Jun 3, 2010
Hey,

My car has a "Kufatec fiscon bluetooth module" installed which is quite a common setup for many VW cars and i'm unable to pair my N5 with it, which isn't the end of the world for me - but it still irritates me :)

Searching the net I came across this issue (code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=63056) which was reported to google since back in November 2013 and it still hasn't been fixed... the comments seem to indicate that it has to do with Power Save features of BT added in Kitkat.

I've attached a btsnoop capture of my N5 trying to pair with the module - i'd be happy for some hints on how to proceed with debugging this issue from people with more BT knowledge than myself.

Thanks!

Attachments

• btsnoop_hci.log.zip
    27 KB · Views: 21

acidmelt

Jun 3, 2010
I haven't tried with 4.4.4 yet but i also don't see anything bluetooth related in the changelog so i doubt it will help.

Is there a way to tweak bluetooth settings at runtime in android? maybe through procfs? i'd like to try changing the power save mode...

ldubs

Dec 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Dumb question maybe but did you shut off BT, both car and phone, reboot turn on BT and try to pair again?

sent from my hammerhead

acidmelt

Jun 3, 2010
Dumb question maybe but did you shut off BT, both car and phone, reboot turn on BT and try to pair again?

sent from my hammerhead

Hell yes! I've tried many combinations of the above, none worked! looking at the bluetooth captures you can see that the nexus resets the connection decidedly, so it's not some intermittent issue or a reception problem - there is something about the car console that the nexus (or just KitKat) doesn't like or the other way around - how can I find out what it is?

acidmelt

Jun 3, 2010
I haven't tried with 4.4.4 yet but i also don't see anything bluetooth related in the changelog so i doubt it will help.

Is there a way to tweak bluetooth settings at runtime in android? maybe through procfs? i'd like to try changing the power save mode...

Hah, after updating to 4.4.4 the pairing with the car was successful! finally, I can use the hands-free functionality... thought i'd update those who might run into the same issue.

I have no idea why or how the update fixed it as there are no mentions of BT related fixes in the changelog but i haven't diff'd the sources to verify this, maybe some kind of cache was flushed during the update which made it work - anyhow, it fixed it for me!