[Q] SIM stopped working in my LG Optimus 4X HD

Search This thread

mvz3k

Nov 4, 2013
I'm new to this.

A totally random event. I restarted my phone one evening last week and it show no sim. Using the LG support tool I had multiple failed attempts to update the software. Then as sudden a the sim registration had disappeared it came back to life. All fine until again the phone just stopped registering the sim.

Phone is secondhand. And I have tried numerous times removing, cleaning and replacing the SIM. Tried another active SIM on the same network with no luck.

I've never had a 'bricked' phone so don't know what to expect but I imagine the phone wouldn't even boot up!

I have now rooted the phone and installed CWM recovery, still no joy and have in desperation performed a hard reset. Nada!

Software is V10h. I read something about EFS folder to backup but all I could find is a text file. The IMEI is not registering on the phone. It could be a very simple answer but currently I'm stumped. I have requested a replacement SIM but have little hope this will resolve the issue.

I hope someone has an answer...

Flying_Bear

Jan 16, 2011
I'm new to this.

A totally random event. I restarted my phone one evening last week and it show no sim. Using the LG support tool I had multiple failed attempts to update the software. Then as sudden a the sim registration had disappeared it came back to life. All fine until again the phone just stopped registering the sim.

Phone is secondhand. And I have tried numerous times removing, cleaning and replacing the SIM. Tried another active SIM on the same network with no luck.

I've never had a 'bricked' phone so don't know what to expect but I imagine the phone wouldn't even boot up!

I have now rooted the phone and installed CWM recovery, still no joy and have in desperation performed a hard reset. Nada!

Software is V10h. I read something about EFS folder to backup but all I could find is a text file. The IMEI is not registering on the phone. It could be a very simple answer but currently I'm stumped. I have requested a replacement SIM but have little hope this will resolve the issue.

re-flash 10h or 20a kdz. look for various tutorials on the forum. (btw, your phone isnt registring on network cuz your imei isnt being read, probably due to failed upgrade process
(or some other bug). it should be fixable though)

also, replacement sim wont help. its your cell phone that's faulty, either hardware or software, not the SIM itself ;)

also, i'm not sure how it goes if your IMEI is blacklisted by your cell phone company - is it possible the phone was stolen? perhaps the original owner reported it stolen to his carrier and they blocked the IMEI?

Last edited:
Reactions: mvz3k

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
also, i'm not sure how it goes if your IMEI is blacklisted by your cell phone company - is it possible the phone was stolen? perhaps the original owner reported it stolen to his carrier and they blocked the IMEI?

If the IMEI is blacklisted, the phone will still show it correctly in the settings and the carrier will just block based on this. This is why changing an IMEI is illegal in most countries and why discussions on how to change it aren't allowed on XDA as it can get the site in serious trouble.

kessaras

Recognized Developer
Sep 28, 2013
Athens
www.audioshow.gr
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I'm new to this.

check if ur gapps are fine. reinstall all gapps. maybe u deleted some app that u shouldnt. happened to me too 2 weeks ago and i had no sim so signal , i couldnt see my imei, etc. if that doesnt help , then reinstall ur rom or install a custom one. I mean maybe u must be sure to check if u deleted some system app that u shouldnt. Since u have double checked with other sim , if its not from an app , then the above thread is right, the owner could have reported the phone stolen

mvz3k

Nov 4, 2013
re-flash 10h or 20a kdz. look for various tutorials on the forum. (btw, your phone isnt registring on network cuz your imei isnt being read, probably due to failed upgrade process

also, replacement sim wont help. its your cell phone that's faulty, either hardware or software, not the SIM itself ;)

Okay, strange happenings with this phone. I've not hd the opportunity to re-flash as suggested but by the by I put my SIM back in and it worked fine. IMEI registered in the phone settings and all was as it should be. Until again first the signal disappeared and when I restarted the SIM did not register. Has anyone experienced this before? :confused:

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
Okay, strange happenings with this phone. I've not hd the opportunity to re-flash as suggested but by the by I put my SIM back in and it worked fine. IMEI registered in the phone settings and all was as it should be. Until again first the signal disappeared and when I restarted the SIM did not register. Has anyone experienced this before? :confused:

There have been some problems with this, but normally due the the RIL on CyanogenMod-based ROMs. I would suggest that you find the time to either reflash v10h or upgrade to v20A/B/C (as appropriate for your region) and see if that fixes it for you.

mvz3k

Nov 4, 2013
So I have tried flashing software V20A using the LG software updater and now all I get is the phone booting into 'S/W Upgrade please wait while upgrading'
I can get into any other screen, despite pressing all combination of buttons together.
I have attempted reflashing back to V10H and try and get it back to how I had the phone. No luck there
And also tried again with V20A. No joy.

Is there anything else I could try?

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
So I have tried flashing software V20A using the LG software updater and now all I get is the phone booting into 'S/W Upgrade please wait while upgrading'
I can get into any other screen, despite pressing all combination of buttons together.
I have attempted reflashing back to V10H and try and get it back to how I had the phone. No luck there
And also tried again with V20A. No joy.

Is there anything else I could try?

Yes, Follow the instructions to flash a v20x KDZ EXACTLY and look at your drivers.

fastpottsy

Aug 6, 2012
Got the same problem here, running cm for a month with no probs, restarted phone and sim not recognized. Installed a backup of the original rom and everything ok. Reflashed kdz's and did a fresh install of cm and still no sim. Am now on Zaiben which is ok but takes about 15 mins to recognize sim?

ssefrgr

Feb 26, 2013
Got the same problem here, running cm for a month with no probs, restarted phone and sim not recognized. Installed a backup of the original rom and everything ok. Reflashed kdz's and did a fresh install of cm and still no sim. Am now on Zaiben which is ok but takes about 15 mins to recognize sim?

Hello, did you solved this issue? :)
I´m struggling with it now.
:eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If the IMEI is blacklisted, the phone will still show it correctly in the settings and the carrier will just block based on this. This is why changing an IMEI is illegal in most countries and why discussions on how to change it aren't allowed on XDA as it can get the site in serious trouble.
    I'm new to this.

I'm new to this.

check if ur gapps are fine. reinstall all gapps. maybe u deleted some app that u shouldnt. happened to me too 2 weeks ago and i had no sim so signal , i couldnt see my imei, etc. if that doesnt help , then reinstall ur rom or install a custom one. I mean maybe u must be sure to check if u deleted some system app that u shouldnt. Since u have double checked with other sim , if its not from an app , then the above thread is right, the owner could have reported the phone stolen

There have been some problems with this, but normally due the the RIL on CyanogenMod-based ROMs. I would suggest that you find the time to either reflash v10h or upgrade to v20A/B/C (as appropriate for your region) and see if that fixes it for you.
    Which version of instructions is definitive? I've tried multiple methods with battery in and out. Are you referring to the LG drivers?

I have always found this thread [TUTORIAL]Update firmware through flashing the kdz files( With Picture )Step by Step works perfectly every time.