First month with Xperia Z1 after owning HTC One

Search This thread

just.garet

Apr 10, 2013
I'm a previous HTC owner but traded it in for a Z1 last month. Both are great-looking, well-built phones Below is a list of the pros and cons of each from my perspective.

HTC One Pros:
  • Better display quality
  • Much better speakers
  • Zoe and VDO highlights: two features I miss the most
  • Blinkfeed….though many slag it, I actually liked it, and easy to turn it off anyway.
Xperia Z1 Pros
  • Much better camera in all conditions
  • Micro SD card support
  • Waterproof
  • Physical camera shutter button
  • Larger screen
  • Slightly faster performance
  • Lighter skin

Two great phones. The main reason I upgraded was for the camera, and no Micro SD card slot is too limiting for me. Very happy with the Z1. I hope Sony can improve the camera application to allow user to take more advantage of the great camera. Happy with the Z1, but really miss HTC's ZOE's and Video highlights. I hope Sony can create something similar in their next software version.

ObamaCare

Dec 17, 2013
Cool..but what about the build quality? Which one do you think its more premium?

thanks for sharing

pshdo

Jun 10, 2010
Holbæk
Two great phones. The main reason I upgraded was for the camera, and no Micro SD card slot is too limiting for me. Very happy with the Z1. I hope Sony can improve the camera application to allow user to take more advantage of the great camera. Happy with the Z1, but really miss HTC's ZOE's and Video highlights. I hope Sony can create something similar in their next software version.

The SD issue would also have been solved if you had a HTC ONE Dual sim version, like i do, so the SD "issue" is not 100% fair...;)

The cam on HTC one has a mutch better auto feature...
- but on the Z1 at least have the hardware to make a great camera down the line, if Sony will do the work... 4mp in the HTC ONE is simply sooo last century...:rolleyes:

just.garet

Apr 10, 2013
What about one having an absolute garbage of a speaker?

Sent from my LG-D801 using xda app-developers app

Well, the speaker on the Z1 is garbage in the same way that all mobile phone speakers are garbage. The HTC One is the only mobile phone or tablet with decent quality speakers that I've ever used. That said I listen to music on my stereo or using headphones, so in most situations, I don't use the phone speaker anyway.

ashouhdy

Aug 22, 2009
Alexandria
You forgot to mention the Much better Battery Quality the Better Grip (aluminum is slippery and easily scratched) Better Lock/Power button placement (hated the upper one on the Htc)

kantk20111

Feb 26, 2011
Cool..but what about the build quality? Which one do you think its more premium?

thanks for sharing

I have handled both extensively and I'll give it a tie. The Z1 feels more premium with the glass on both sides however the HTC One's unibody design overall is nicer to hold in hand and the aluminum has its own charm. The Z1 feels more 'solid' because it's heavier but they are both equal in build quality.

In terms of usability I will give it to the Z1 completely. Although it's a bigger device the side power button makes it a million times easier to use than the HTC One's power button on top.

just.garet

Apr 10, 2013
What about one having an absolute garbage of a speaker?

Sent from my LG-D801 using xda app-developers app

Well, the speaker on the Z1 is garbage in the same way that all mobile phone speakers are garbage. The HTC One is the only mobile phone or tablet with decent quality speakers that I've ever used. That said I listen to music on my stereo or using headphones, so in most situations, I don't use the phone speaker anyway.

I also switched from HTC One since two weeks now and I don't regret my choice.
Personally I prefer the screen of the Z1 and I really feel that it is faster, the only thing that disappointed me is the camera I was expecting more from a 20MP sensor, photos that I took were all noisy especially in low light conditions, I hope that Sony will improve the camera with future updates.

jamespmi

Jan 22, 2012
The speaker is just limited by Sony. Once you flash the volume mod it's a perfect speaker for a sumergible phone) remember the speaker is water protected?)

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app