Optimus 7 and Tmobile

Search This thread

evilgenius31

Mar 24, 2011
Greenville
So, I just bought this phone - I like the way it looks, and I wanted to try out WP7.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to get it working with tmobile (I live in the US)

It's a LG E-900h, with the canadian telus firmware on it. What do I need to do if I want to use it with Tmobile?

sonus

Jan 25, 2007
Let's start with what is not working for you. Can you at least make phone calls? Give us some details.

evilgenius31

Mar 24, 2011
Greenville
phone calls

Nope - Can't make phone calls - right now, the phone tells me my SIM card is invalid (in settings/cellular, it says "no sim")

I assume this can be fixed - but the methods I've tried haven't worked (I've tried debranding via the engineering menu, and swapping to the tmobile network profile)
Is there anything else I should try?

sonus

Jan 25, 2007
Its odd that it says No SIM, I'd figure it would at least ask you for an unlock code. Are you sure you have the SIM in the correct way? If you put them in backwards, the phone won't read it.

If your phone then asks for an unlock code, you'll need to SIM unlock it.

Etaduck

Sep 11, 2010
Dallas, TX
From this post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=9827632#post9827632 :

Unfortunately, LG Optimus 7 does not support AWS, hence it will not support 3G neither on T-Mobile USA nor Wind Mobile or Mobilicity (it will fall back to GSM/EDGE modes on T-Mobile and will always be in Wind Away zone roaming through Rogers if you were to use Wind Mobile SIM card).

Not to stop you short, but just a heads up I guess.

If you go into the MFG settings to change the network profile thare are a couple that show "TMU_US" thought I'm not sure if that's even TMobile or what carrier that would be or even which one to try. But good luck.

evilgenius31

Mar 24, 2011
Greenville
yep

I saw that thread before hand, and I was anticipating the 3g problem (a tmobile rep had told me this as well)

My issue is making phone calls ATM. everyone else says when you insert a foreign sim, it asks for an unlock code - which mine hasn't done yet. I did buy the phone used on ebay (the seller claimed it was unlocked).

Regardless - right now, it says invalid sim. I inserted it with the notched corner UP

**SURE ENOUGH - sim card was in backwards. it's working great now

Last edited:

Etaduck

Sep 11, 2010
Dallas, TX
Don't feel bad, I forgot about that, but I did the same thing.

So use to haveing it only fit one way that I didn't pay attention to the picture, but I got it working after a litle while too.

Let us know how the connections are working out for you.

netgh0st

Dec 9, 2010
Vancouver
I have a Telus LG Optimus 7 phone, bought an unlock code on eBay for $10. When going down to US I use a TMO SIM card, and I can confirm that phone works perfectly for 2/2.5G (GSM/EDGE), and doesn't work with TMO 3G (which is AWS, same as Wind Mobile and Mobilicity, like someone mentioned above). But luckily for me TM has a $2/day plan which offers unlimited calls/text/2G internet, which makes it perfect for 1-2 day intermittent trips across the border, EDGE speeds are just enough to have my e-mails coming and maps working. It would support full 3G on AT&T, but they don't have any good prepaid data plans - the only one they could offer was 100 mb for $20, which expires in 7 days.

evilgenius31

Mar 24, 2011
Greenville
optimus 3g

are you sure that there's no way to change settings in the engineering menu to make it work with Tmo's 3g?

Also - what do I need to do to update my optimus to the new build of wp7?

netgh0st

Dec 9, 2010
Vancouver
are you sure that there's no way to change settings in the engineering menu to make it work with Tmo's 3g?

I'm absolutely certain - you can manually switch between supported frequencies: WCDMA 850 MHz, WCDMA 900 MHz, WCDMA 1800 MHz and WCDMA 1900 MHz, but the phone has no support for AWS 1700/2100 (unlike regular WCDMA, when uplink and downlink use channels from the same band, AWS is also using different band for upstream and downstream).

Also - what do I need to do to update my optimus to the new build of wp7?
When you say "new build" what exactly do you mean? Which build do you currently have? Does Zune tell you that you have latest firmware?