[HOW-TO] Installing CM10.x Internally on Nook Tablet

Search This thread

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
First of all thank you very much. I have a couple of questions. If you could answer them it would be appreciated. I installed
cm-10-20121231-UNOFFICIAL-acclaim.zip to my 16gb Nook Tablet's emmc.

1. The sleep of death issue if the battery is completely drained. Has this been fixed with this rom?
2. My wifi seems to drop on and off, is there a fix?
3. What does the 10 touch driver do?
4. Does turning on usb debugging cause issues? I turned it on for Titanium backup and it caused issues connecting to my pc. The pc would connect to the device and disconnect while plugged in.

Thanks again, your instructions took about 10 minutes to install cm 10 on my tablet.
The SoD issue is fixed in this build. However be aware that the NT when asleep does not detect insertion of the USB cable and go in charging mode, so you'd have to wake it up for it to go into charging mode, then you can put it into sleep again and it will stay in charging mode.

I have not had the WiFi dropping on/off. I also have not run across the USB Debug issue, probably because I tend to use ADB Wireless for ADB Debugging and data transfer, but with ADB Wireless I do notice that the connection would get drop if the NT idle-timeouts and goes to sleep.

The 10-touch driver in the ROM enables use of the multi (greater than 2) touch capability of the NT touch-screen (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTL2DBbgNaY), but to activate it you'd need to flash the multi-touch firmware for the touchscreen using the Touch FW Flasher app; however beware that the Stock ROM does not work with multi-touch so you'd have to undo again using the Touch FW Flasher app, if you ever go back to stock ROM.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2010
DC
rely on google backup?

I've been running CM10 build by XDA Developer Succulent version 12/08 on SD card since its release ten days ago, and its reliable/stable performance has crossed the threshold for me to finally take the plunge and install it internally on emmc.

FWIW, here the process I used to install CM10 internally on my 16GB Nook Tablet (i.e., on its emmc) (caveat emptor: adopt/follow it at your own risk).
  1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on SD card a Primary FAT32 partition, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows. If you are going to use this card for backing up your NT, keep in mind that each backup will require at least 600MB (for a barebone stock or CM config) and size the partition accordingly.
  2. Obtain and copy to the SD card the following files:
  3. Put the SD card into the NT, and boot from its power off by inserting a powered USB cable. Press and hold the N button as soon as CyanoBoot comes up to get the boot menu to display.
  4. Select either SDC Recovery (or Alternate Boot depending on which recovery tool you want to use).
  5. Select Backup to backup your current NT config (/boot, /recovery, /system, and /data). Before proceeding to next step, see note (ii) near the end of this post.
  6. Select Wipe data & factory reset.
  7. Select install zip from SD card and install cm-10 zip file.
  8. Select install zip from SD card and install gapps zip file.
  9. Select power of and remove SD card from NT and power NT on again using the power button (alternatively you can just remove SD card and select reboot).

Once the NT boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info. If you had previously used Google backup service your apps will be auto-downloaded (but not their settings will not be auto-restored)

A few additional points worth noting:
  • Installing CM10 ROM and gapps will override your NT's BN-provided boot, recovery, ROM, and Apps, so make sure that you backup all this stuff using backup process in step #5 above, safekeep the backup data on your PC/Laptop and better yet archive it on CD/DVD. Your media files in the NT media partition BN allocates for user should be intact.
  • To play it safe you should do the above in 2 phases: steps 1 through 5, then exit recovery and remove and mount SD card on PC to verify that backup data got newly created; then insert SD card and continue steps 6 through 9.
  • CWM and TWRP use different backup archive formats, so keep this in mind if you decide to switch. Furthermore, CWM has changed its archive format going from release 5.x to 6.x, so I think it would be prudent to save a copy of the recovery program together with the backup data it generated. (FWIW I prefer the tar/zip compatible backup data structure TWRP uses (which CWM 5.x had also used) over the BLOb structure which CWM 6.x use -- but YMMV).
  • To restore from backup data, boot into SD card and select from boot menu the same recovery program that was used to create the backup data, then select the particular backup dataset (indexed by date/time) you want to reinstall on your NT.
  • I would advise against blindly using other functions of the CWM and TWRP without looking up info and researching to understand what they really do.

My thanks to all the developers who collective work created this wonderful ROM as well as the tools and info I made use of to install it. IMHO this ROM helps make the Nook Tablet one of the best-value tablets for the money (at least at the moment).

Ok should I rely on the google backup service? Seems like something I've been disappointed with as much as google's backup & restore isn't a good bet....

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Ok should I rely on the google backup service? Seems like something I've been disappointed with as much as google's backup & restore isn't a good bet....
There are three different types of backup:
  1. Backup of your current setup using CWM/TWRP which covers boot, recovery, ROM, your apps and their data/settings. This is typically done as a protection in the event of some bad flashing errors/mistakes.
  2. Backup done by Google Backup/Restore which covers all your downloaded apps and the data/settings of some of the apps (I recall reading somewhere that whether a given app's data/settings get backed up is an option selected by that app's developer). In my experience this has been a hit-n-miss affair, i.e., my apps don't always get auto-restored after a CM ROM upgrade. When they do get auto-restored I still have re-enter personal settings for most apps.
  3. Backup done by a Backup app such as Titanium Backup which cover the apps you specify and all their data/settings. I have found some apps restored by TB suffer fatal crashes and ultimately have to be uninstalled and re-installed.

Last edited:

mynickname

Jan 8, 2012
Novi
I am trying to install cm10 for the first time on my 16gb nook tablet.

I copied all the files requited into the 1gb primary partition and started nook. The cyano boot loaded successfully. However after selecting sdc recovery, n icon appeared and the tablet shutdown instead of boot into CWM recovery. Can anyone help what might have went wrong.

Thanks in advance.

satan89

Sep 21, 2009
Bangalore, Mangalore
Re: Installing CM10 Internally on Nook Tablet

I am trying to install cm10 for the first time on my 16gb nook tablet.

I copied all the files requited into the 1gb primary partition and started nook. The cyano boot loaded successfully. However after selecting sdc recovery, n icon appeared and the tablet shutdown instead of boot into CWM recovery. Can anyone help what might have went wrong.

Thanks in advance.

In root of sdcard (not internal 1gb, external one only) keep the recovery.img ( and even altboot.img if you like)
Then try booting, it should open.

Sent from my ST27i

Last edited:
Reactions: mynickname

jamesgg

Dec 8, 2010
I copied all the files over to my external sd card. After cyano boot loads I select sdc recovery, a few moments later cyano bot reloads and if I don't hit the N button it gives me an error message " booti: bad boot image magic " (hitting the N botton gives me the same options to load recoveries.

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I copied all the files over to my external sd card. After cyano boot loads I select sdc recovery, a few moments later cyano bot reloads and if I don't hit the N button it gives me an error message " booti: bad boot image magic " (hitting the N botton gives me the same options to load recoveries.
Did you rename CWM cwm_60xx_sd.img (or twrp_2220_sd.img in case you prefer TWRP) to recovery.img before copying it to your SDcard boot partition?

Reactions: techzero

techzero

Sep 2, 2010
Same here

Did you rename CWM cwm_60xx_sd.img (or twrp_2220_sd.img in case you prefer TWRP) to recovery.img before copying it to your SDcard boot partition?

Unfortunately, I am having the same issue. I followed the instructions and renamed the CWM file to 'recovery.img' and got the "booti: bad boot image magic (in memory)" error message. I went back and tried it with the TWRP file, and the more recent ones for each (they begin with 'flash'). In all cases I got the "booti" error.

I'm currently searching to see if others have overcome this issue. I'll post back if I find something out, but if you have any ideas, please let us know!

Thanks!

satan89

Sep 21, 2009
Bangalore, Mangalore
Re: Installing CM10 Internally on Nook Tablet

The files starting with ' flash ' (have emmc in file name) are flashable recoveries, not bootable images. Take the ones with sdcard in file name, extract file, rename it to recovery or altboot.img and place in root of sdcard.

Sent from my ST27i

Reactions: techzero

techzero

Sep 2, 2010
Thanks

The files starting with ' flash ' (have emmc in file name) are flashable recoveries, not bootable images. Take the ones with sdcard in file name, extract file, rename it to recovery or altboot.img and place in root of sdcard.

Sent from my ST27i

You were right, satan89.

I realized my stupidity soon after I posted. I was actually taking the entire CWM zip file and renaming that to "recovery.img." Yes, I am a dope.

I went back and started from the beginning. I formatted the SD card using SDFormatter. I used MiniTool to create a boot partition on the SD card (Primary, Fat32, ID type to 0x0 Fat32 LBA, Active Flag). I copied all the requisite files over (this time taking care to pull over the correct files and unzip the CWM file for cwm_6012_sd.img and renamed it recovery.img) to the SD card and put it into the Nook Tablet.

But, unlike before, where I could get into CyanoBoot, it just bypasses that directly and goes into the stock Nook Tablet OS. I tried reformatting the card a couple different ways, re-downloaded the files and put them into the SD card again, but now it always bypasses CyanoBoot.

I have no idea what I was doing correct before but am doing incorrectly now. Chances are it's (again) something stupid, but I can't figure out what.

techzero

Sep 2, 2010
Success!

You were right, satan89.

I realized my stupidity soon after I posted. I was actually taking the entire CWM zip file and renaming that to "recovery.img." Yes, I am a dope.

I went back and started from the beginning. I formatted the SD card using SDFormatter. I used MiniTool to create a boot partition on the SD card (Primary, Fat32, ID type to 0x0 Fat32 LBA, Active Flag). I copied all the requisite files over (this time taking care to pull over the correct files and unzip the CWM file for cwm_6012_sd.img and renamed it recovery.img) to the SD card and put it into the Nook Tablet.

But, unlike before, where I could get into CyanoBoot, it just bypasses that directly and goes into the stock Nook Tablet OS. I tried reformatting the card a couple different ways, re-downloaded the files and put them into the SD card again, but now it always bypasses CyanoBoot.

I have no idea what I was doing correct before but am doing incorrectly now. Chances are it's (again) something stupid, but I can't figure out what.

Okay, I got everything installed and it's working beautifully now. Here's what I did.

I used the same SD card (thought it might be the problem, but it wasn't) and downloaded SDFormatter version 4.0. I used SDFormatter to quick format the card. I then used MiniTool and deleted the partition that was on the SD card. I created a new Primary FAT32 partition (named Boot) that used the entire space (1 gb). I then hit apply. I changed the ID type to 0x0 Fat32 LBA, and then hit apply again. I changed that partition to an Active Flag, and then hit apply for the final time. (Previously, I changed everything and then hit apply one time; I'm not sure this made a great difference, but it got me through to the final product, so I'll take it).

Next, I downloaded the boot.zip files, Cyanogenmod, and GApps from the iamafanof site (newer post with a February Acclaim 4.2.2 ROM -- sorry I can't post the link, I haven't posted enough yet to earn that right).

I used the MLO, u-boot.bin, and flashing_boot.img from the boot.zip file in the above link, but I used the clockwork recovery from digixmax's original instructions. I loaded all of those onto the SD card and popped it into the NT.

I plugged in the power cord and it booted right up into CyanoBoot, where I hit n immediately. I followed the rest of his instructions and did not run into the "booti: bad image" problem like I did before (which was, admittedly, due to my very stupidly renaming the CWM base file to recovery.img rather than extracting the actual img file and renaming that).

That let me into CWM where I wiped everything, then installed CM and GApps from the SD card, powered off, removed the card, and finally rebooted into a beautifully functional Android JB 4.2.2 install.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for their help! You guys are awesome :D

.AndroiD.

Oct 22, 2011
Netanya
i have done what you said and downloaded every-thing but every time i press "N" on SDC RECOVERY i get "booti: bad boot image magic (in memory)"
help???

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
i have done what you said and downloaded every-thing but every time i press "N" on SDC RECOVERY i get "booti: bad boot image magic (in memory)"
help???
Make sure what you rename to recovery.img and copy to SDcard is the file cwm_6012_sd.img from inside the zip file CM9-10_CWM_v6.0.1.2_8-16gb_tools_sdcard.zip -- not the zip file CM9-10_CWM_v6.0.1.2_8-16gb_tools_sdcard.zip itself.

Last edited:

berginas

Feb 9, 2013
I cant get my nook tablet to boot from the sd card. when i plug the tablet into the powered usb cable it does nothing but after a few minutes MAY randomly boot into the stock rom. ive tried holding down the N button when it boots into stock but nothing happens. ive tried reformatting my sdcard and re-partitioning it but that didnt work.
any ideas?

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I cant get my nook tablet to boot from the sd card. when i plug the tablet into the powered usb cable it does nothing but after a few minutes MAY randomly boot into the stock rom. ive tried holding down the N button when it boots into stock but nothing happens. ive tried reformatting my sdcard and re-partitioning it but that didnt work.
any ideas?
See section on "Making a Bootable Recovery SDcard" at http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37515697&postcount=31.

berginas

Feb 9, 2013
Thanks for the reply digimax
I remade the partition on my sdcard (using the full card) double checking that the partition was " cylinder aligned, primary/FAT32 with partition ID type 0x0C and with LBA and Active flags set" as it states in the post you directed me to.
i also made sure i added the mlo file first to the freshly made partition as it suggests in the same post.
still the problem persists that is also listed in the post "The NT screen stays dark for minutes then eventually boots to stock -- most likely the MLO or u-boot.bin are corrupted. Check the exact size of these two files in bytes, they should be respectively 38,356 and 179,812."
I double checked the sizes of the mlo and u-boot.bin file were the correct sizes and even sourced another location of those files from another iamafanof post.

still wont boot :(

any other suggestions?

---------- Post added at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

So i decided to test whether i could get another SD card i have lying around to boot.
i followed the instructions as i did before and was able to easily get the card to boot in the NT...only problem is the card is 64mb so i cant add the rom to it!
so i guess somethings up with my other card.

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

OK i was able to get it to boot! i think what fixed it was making the partition smaller on my sdcard (2gb)
only problem now is my vol up/down buttons seem to by broken so im not able to navigate through menus...:eek:

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
only problem now is my vol up/down buttons seem to by broken so im not able to navigate through menus ...
In place of CWM you can use TeamWin Recovery Project (aka TWRP) (e.g., twrp_2220_sd.img in CM9-10_TWRP_v2.2.2.0_8-16gb_tools_sdcard.zip at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1640958), as TWRP uses touchscreen menu instead of power & volume buttons for navigation/selection. Just rename TWRP .img file to recovery.img before copying to SD card /boot partition.

Last edited:

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
but dont i have to navigate the cyanoboot menu to select the recovery in the first place?
Yeah, I forgot about the "Cyanoboot navigation" part. To work around it, rename twrp_2220_sd.img to boot.img (rather than to recovery.img) -- making TWRP recovery what Cyanoboot would automatically load by default if you don't hold down the "N" button to bring up the Cyanoboot menu, then just skip the step of "hold down the "N" button when Cyanoboot boots up and you should land in TWRP.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [See post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43326042&postcount=123 for the new version of this post with updated links/pointers to Succulent's recent CM10.1 builds as well as CWM/TWRP recovery tool compilation].

[Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk].

I've been running CM10 build by XDA Developer Succulent version 12/08 on SD card since its release ten days ago, and its reliable/stable performance has crossed the threshold for me to finally take the plunge and install it internally on emmc.

FWIW, here the process I used to install CM10 internally on my 16GB Nook Tablet (i.e., on its emmc).
    1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on SD card a Primary FAT32 partition, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows. If you are going to use this card for backing up your NT, keep in mind that each backup will require at least 600MB (for a barebone stock or CM config) and size the partition accordingly.
    3. Put the SD card into the NT, and boot from its power off by inserting a powered USB cable. Press and hold the N button as soon as CyanoBoot comes up to get the boot menu to display.
    4. Select either SDC Recovery (or Alternate Boot depending on which recovery tool you want to use).
    5. Select Backup to backup your current NT config (/boot, /recovery, /system, and /data). Before proceeding to next step, see note (ii) near the end of this post.
    7. Select install zip from SD card and install cm-10 zip file.
    9. Select power of and remove SD card from NT and power NT on again using the power button (alternatively you can just remove SD card and select reboot).

Once the NT boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info. If you had previously used Google backup service your apps will be auto-downloaded (but their settings will not be auto-restored)

• Installing CM10 ROM and gapps will override your NT's BN-provided boot, recovery, ROM, and Apps, so make sure that you backup all this stuff using backup process in step #5 above, safekeep the backup data on your PC/Laptop and better yet archive it on CD/DVD. Your media files in the NT media partition BN allocates for user should be intact.
    • To play it safe you should do the above in 2 phases: steps 1 through 5, then exit recovery and remove and mount SD card on PC to verify that backup data got newly created; then insert SD card and continue steps 6 through 9.
    • CWM and TWRP use different backup archive formats, so keep this in mind if you decide to switch. Furthermore, CWM has changed its archive format going from release 5.x to 6.x, so I think it would be prudent to save a copy of the recovery program together with the backup data it generated. (FWIW I prefer the tar/zip compatible backup data structure TWRP uses (which CWM 5.x had also used) over the BLOb structure which CWM 6.x use -- but YMMV).
    • To restore from backup data, boot into SD card and select from boot menu the same recovery program that was used to create the backup data, then select the particular backup dataset (indexed by date/time) you want to reinstall on your NT.
    • I would advise against blindly using other functions of the CWM and TWRP without looking up info and researching to understand what they really do.
    • See my post at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48612997#post48612997 for more "Info and Tips for Mitigating Risks in Rooting and Flashing Custom-ROM".

My thanks to all the developers who collective work created this wonderful ROM as well as the tools and info I made use of to install it. IMHO this ROM helps make the Nook Tablet one of the best-value tablets for the money (at least at the moment).
    Installing CM10.x Internally on Nook Tablet

[See post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51377882&postcount=163 for the new version of this post with updated links/pointers].

I've been running CM10.1 build by XDA Developer Succulent version 06/29 on SD card since its release a weekago, and its reliable/stable performance has crossed the threshold for me to finally take the plunge and install it internally on emmc (updating the tablet from Succulent’s CM10.0 build dated 12.31).

FWIW, here the process I used to install CM10 internally on my 16GB Nook Tablet (i.e., on its emmc).
    7. Select install zip from SD card and install cm10 zip file.

Once the NT boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info. If you had previously used Google backup service your apps will be auto-downloaded (but their settings will not be auto-restored)

• Do not blindly use other functions of the CWM and TWRP without researching to understand what they really do.
    • See my post at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2575489 for more "Info and Tips for Mitigating Risks in Rooting and Flashing Custom-ROM".
    • This guide is written for use with Succulent's ROM builds which typically have recovery.img included in their ROM zip archive files. If you are coming from stock ROM and plan to adapt this guide to use with another ROM build (such as CM10.x nightlies) that does not contain recovery.img in its ROM zip archive file then you should also flash (either CWM or TWRP) recovery.img to replace the stock recovery (in the /recovery partition) on emmc. Flashable recovery zip files can be found in Succulent's recovery repository at http://goo.im/devs/succulent/acclaim/recovery. Alternatively, see http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47680141&postcount=2 or http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49111924&postcount=8 on how to create flashable zip for emmc recovery.
    • Flashing CM11 requires CWM version 6.0.4.5 or later, or TWRP version 2.6.3.0 or later, in step 2(b); you can find the SD version of TWRP 2.6.3.x at http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/acclaim.
    • If you install an older or newer release of CM10.x than the one I referenced in this post then make sure you install the right corresponding Gapps version. Some potential repositories for Gapps are http://goo.im/gapps and http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/roms/gapps-mini.

My thanks to all the developers who collective work created this wonderful ROM as well as the tools and info I made use of to install it.
    great post...fwiw here's my experience to get two NT16's up and running (I started with an old CM7 on both of them).

1. Backup nook with titanium backup on existing 32GB card.
    2. Take screenshots for replacements
    3. Reset nook to stock (1.4.2) and update to latest (1.4.3) with a fresh SD Card with repart.img copied to root (my red 2GB card):
    4. Create a CWM SD Card (ideally 4GB SanDisk) as per these instructions - http://raywaldo.com/2012/05/root-nook-tablet-with-cwm-sdcard/
    5. Copy CM7 BETA and compatible GAPPS onto this card or another blank one. You can get the files from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1481826 and http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Latest_Version/Google_Apps
    6. Boot into this CWM Card, wipe data/wipe cache and dalvik cache. Install zip from sdcard (either current or pop in the new one). Choose cm-7 beta first, then gapps. Remove sd card. Reboot. Wait a while for it to set itself up.
    7. Go into settings/applications and clear the cache for google market/play.
    8. You now have CM7 installed and can setup the basics (google, wifi etc..)
    9. Insert your 32GB (or 16 or 8 or whatever) Sandisk SD Card (it should ideally have the Titanium Backup folder from step 1, any media you want in Music and Movies folder and the CM10 and gapps zip in the downloads folder -- and that's it!)
    10. Once mounted, download Goo Manager from the google play store and run it, accepting superuser requests.
    11. Choose settings menu and "Install OpenRecoveryScript" and it should install openrecovery twrp recovery manager. Once it has installed and informed you of success, reboot into recovery (this is important), upon reboot hold the "n" and choose internal emmc recovery from the menu.
    12. You will now find yourself in TWRP. From the install menu, add the CM10 PURE AOSP 4.1.2 JBV06.1-Hashcode and then the gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip and swipe to confirm flash. This is it. Fingers Crossed!
    13. NOTE: On one NT 16 (I have two), step 12 DID NOT WORK. It wouldn't install the CM10...zip -- and simply rebooted itself or hung...so I powered off, and rebooted to the CWM Card in #6..and used CWM to wipe caches etc… and then installed the two zips...and voila.

hope it helps.
    Installing CM10.x Internally on Nook Tablet

The following is the process using SD-based recovery to install CM10.x internally (i.e., on emmc) on a Nook Tablet running stock ROM. (To flash CM11 see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2692403).

1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on SD card a Primary FAT32 partition, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows
    4. Select SDC Recovery.
    5. [Optional step but highly recommended] Select Backup to backup your NT current ROM config (/boot, /recovery, /system, and /data).
    7. Select install zip from SD card and install flashable CWM recovery zip file.
    8. Select install zip from SD card and install CM10.x zip file.
    9. Select install zip from SD card and install Gapps zip file.
    10. Remove SD card and select reboot.

Once the NT boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info. If you had previously used Google backup service on your NT your apps will be auto-downloaded (but their settings will not be auto-restored).

Notes
    • If the Nook fails to boot off SD -- the two most common symptoms of failed SD boot and their likely causes are:
      • The NT boots straight to stock -- most likely the boot partition's type and/or flag are not correctly set, or the NT cannot find the MLO in the boot partition (make sure that MLO is the very first file to be copied to the freshly made /boot partition).
      • The NT screen stays dark for seemingly a long time then eventually boots to stock -- most likely the MLO or u-boot.bin are corrupted. When in doubt, compare the size of the two copies of the files in bytes.
    • Installing CM ROM and Gapps will override your NT's current boot, recovery, ROM, and Apps, so make sure that you backup all this stuff using recovery backup function, for easy in reverting to previous ROM if desired. See my post at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48612997#post48612997 for more "Info and Tips for Mitigating Risks in Rooting and Flashing Custom-ROM".
      Also, I would advise against using any other functions of the recovery without first carefully researching to understand what they really do.
    • Skip steps 2(b) and 7 if using Succulent's CM10.x ROM (as his ROM zip file already contains emmc recovery.img).
    • The "boot/reboot to black screen" is a known and AFAIK unresolved issue for 10.1 and 10.2.x. Its frequency of occurrence varies with users (30-40% in my case), and some users have reported (just as you seemed to have also experienced) that given more elapsed time the boot/reboot would eventually complete. See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2388520&highlight=black+screen&page=23 for brief discussions of this issue as well as the "sputtering boot animation issue".

My thanks to all the developers who collective work created the wonderful CM ROM for the NT as well as the tools and info I made use of to install it.
    I need some help please.
    I used the process and all the files of the initial thread post. Worked perfectly. I thought CM 10 was a bit old, so I wanted to update to CM 11.
    I recreated the exact same sd card, only instead of "cm-10-yyyymmdd-UNOFFICIAL-acclaim.zip from http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012/...let-uploading/" I used cm-11-20131222-UNOFFICIAL-acclaim from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2535421.
    I was under the impression that in order to do an update I have to "Flash" again... but I think I did the process wrong.
    Selected Wipe data & factory reset. <<<<<I think this is where I went wrong>>>>
    You need to do "wipe /data & factory reset" if you come from stock ROM (or another ROM flavor).
    Selected install zip from SD card and installed cm-11 zip file.
    Then I got an update failed. <<<I did not choose anything that specifically said "Update". I just chose install>>>> :confused:
    To flash CM11 you need newer versions of CWM or TWRP -- see note (viii) of post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43326042&postcount=123. Alternatively you can install 10.2 and subsequently upgrade to CM11 using the approach outlined in http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50141401&postcount=241.
    Is the backup I made got lost because I formated the SD Card when trying to make a clean one for CM-11
    Yes, unless you had copied the backup dataset to your PC prior to reformatting your SD card.